U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2012, 12:20 PM

7,910 posts, read 9,472,585 times

Advertisements

Why the Question?:
‘God helps those who help themselves’ is probably the most quoted Bible verse … that is NOT in the Bible. The quote is attributed to Ben Franklin in his Farmer’s Almanac (circa 1757).

Truth: God helps the defenseless and helpless and gives grace to the humble, but, resists the proud and arrogant … and those whose hope rests on themselves or this world for their life, deliverance from trouble and power.

Summary: Helping ourselves or 'helping God' is a works-doctrine that suggests that man must first ‘do his part’ or ‘contribute to the work’…before God will extend assistance. While it sounds ‘logical’ or true from a worldly perspective, it is actually a deceptive lie of Satan … to persuade people to depend on themselves and their own efforts, instead of on God and His grace.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2012, 01:38 PM

9,670 posts, read 10,151,867 times
The Bible doesn't specifically say that, but it implies the same in numerous passages:

Quote:
Therefore, my dear friends, as you have always obeyed--not only in my presence, but now much more in my absence--continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling---Philippians 2:12

Old 09-25-2012, 03:09 PM

7,503 posts, read 8,016,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Why the Question?:
‘God helps those who help themselves’ is probably the most quoted Bible verse … that is NOT in the Bible. The quote is attributed to Ben Franklin in his Farmer’s Almanac (circa 1757).

Truth: God helps the defenseless and helpless and gives grace to the humble, but, resists the proud and arrogant … and those whose hope rests on themselves or this world for their life, deliverance from trouble and power.

Summary: Helping ourselves or 'helping God' is a works-doctrine that suggests that man must first ‘do his part’ or ‘contribute to the work’…before God will extend assistance. While it sounds ‘logical’ or true from a worldly perspective, it is actually a deceptive lie of Satan … to persuade people to depend on themselves and their own efforts, instead of on God and His grace.
A former pastor of mine put it this way: You have to put legs on your prayers. Has nothing to do with salvation, but rather with accomplishing that which we pray for.

Instead of just praying for someone's well being, also bring that person help. Be it food, company or whatever.

Need a job? Pray for God's help and then submit resumes' or start knocking on doors. Faith plus action, Works!

Old 09-25-2012, 04:33 PM

7,679 posts, read 6,404,819 times
In Revelation 3:15-19... Jesus told the church of Laodiceans......``I know your works, that you are neither cold or hot, I will spue you out of my mouth.... Because you say , I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing, and knows not that you are wretched, and miserable, and poor and blind, and naked....I counsel you to buy of me gold tried in the fire, that you may be rich, and white raiment, that you may be clothed, and that your shame of your nakedness do not appear, and anoint your eyes with eye-salve, that you may see.....As many as I love , I rebuke and chasten, be zealous therefor and repent``..........See Jesus told them to ``buy of Jesus gold tried in the fire, that you may be rich``...As some are cold or lukewarm in their passion for Christ , and may not even help themselves of the thing God want to give them ......In the Works of the Lord as all are called to some good Works of the Lord, which are Not proof of salvation , .... But God actually helps those who helps others , and all the gifts of Holy Spirit are there to help others , and Jesus alway gets the Glory in His Good Works ....

Old 09-25-2012, 04:42 PM

7,910 posts, read 9,472,585 times
Good points in the above!: Inference that our response is necessary; and the necessity of putting legs on prayers and the importance of 'living faith'! -- One might also consider James teaching "what does it profit .... and faith without works is dead".

Our response to God by 'walking-out a living faith' is essential ... assuming our faith is real and not simply 'head faith.' My concern is with the shift toward a 'works-based theology' that sometimes seems to 'forget' that God alone provides the calling, equips us for His work, does the 'work of the Lord' and produces the fruit --- in those who are willing to obey and submit.

Old 09-25-2012, 04:49 PM

2,531 posts, read 1,894,632 times
"Blessed are the poor in spirit [those who can not help themselves] for theirs is the Kingdom of Heaven."

Last edited by garya123; 09-25-2012 at 05:17 PM..

Old 09-25-2012, 04:59 PM

3,891 posts, read 3,867,496 times
Okay all you lazy democrats, get back to work and start helping YOURSELVES and I DON'T mean by stealing from us! Don't want to get spewed from his mouth? Then get to work and quit praying to GOd to bail you out.

You have legs, you have arms, you have backs.....use them.....

Old 09-25-2012, 05:17 PM

2,531 posts, read 1,894,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garya123 View Post
"Blessed are the poor in spirit [those who can not help themselves] for theirs is the Kingdom of Heaven."
In do time with Gods' help they will gain strength and confidence to rise up and win the battle for an honest living. It is written, "Seek first the Kingdom of God and His righteousness and all things shall be added to you [good job, right relationships and whatever to make one complete in Christ]."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or