Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 09:04 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,366,102 times

Advertisements

Right up there with the commandment to "love one another as I have loved you" is the mandate to "turn the other cheek." This means overlooking someone's transgressions and wishing them well.

How realistic is this? About 3/4 of the time, this is a trespassing of boundaries. I think that sometimes boundaries need to be reset or reestablished. Sometimes, the person needs to be called on it. Many times, some (Christian) people are such jerks beyond salvage, that they won't get it, but it doesn't hurt to try.

Do you think today's (or any era's) Christian really "turns the other cheek?" What are the ramifications of doing this? What is the fine line between doing so and not doing so? Do you do it?

Please, NO QUOTERS NEED APPLY. I am looking for dialogue based on interpretations, and not mind-numbing quoting of Scriptures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2012, 10:20 AM

4,437 posts, read 4,866,413 times
The early Christians turned the other cheek, they did not go to war, they resisted the corrupt government and religious leaders, but today's Christians have turned into what the ealy Christians did not want any part of.
We seem to have a bee hive mentality and attack anyone like Jesus that would dare not act like the rest of the sheep.

Here in America we have turned into a "Hypocrite Nation"

Untitled Document

Old 09-16-2012, 08:01 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,026,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Right up there with the commandment to "love one another as I have loved you" is the mandate to "turn the other cheek." This means overlooking someone's transgressions and wishing them well.

How realistic is this? About 3/4 of the time, this is a trespassing of boundaries. I think that sometimes boundaries need to be reset or reestablished. Sometimes, the person needs to be called on it. Many times, some (Christian) people are such jerks beyond salvage, that they won't get it, but it doesn't hurt to try.

Do you think today's (or any era's) Christian really "turns the other cheek?" What are the ramifications of doing this? What is the fine line between doing so and not doing so? Do you do it?

Please, NO QUOTERS NEED APPLY. I am looking for dialogue based on interpretations, and not mind-numbing quoting of Scriptures.
Being slapped on the cheek was an idiom for being insulted, and turning the other cheek meant to ignore the insult and not return it...As later, this was clarified with 'do not trade insult for insult'...It was a Hebraic Idiom, it was not speaking of a physical slap, but a verbal slap...

Old 09-16-2012, 09:12 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,615,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post

Good question. Jesus was not talking about pacifism, as in allowing someone to beat you up, or watching idle while someone rapes your wife. He was talking about prideful retaliation, and He goes on to talk about lawsuits, property rights etc, His message is to just let it go, and don't let your pride lead you to retaliate to insults, etc.

It's a tough teaching in a nation where people are brought up to defend our pride, and to avoid losing face by never allowing people to disrespect you. Our rules are prison yard rules, while Jesus taught to opposite, He said do NOT retaliate to insults, but rather just let it go. This is what turning the other cheek means. Self defence, and the defence of the nation are different matters, and the Bible teaches the authority carries a sword for a reason. The authority (cops, military etc) are God appointed 'agents of wrath' whose job is to bring punishment for the wrong-doers.

Old 09-16-2012, 09:18 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,615,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Being slapped on the cheek was an idiom for being insulted, and turning the other cheek meant to ignore the insult and not return it...As later, this was clarified with 'do not trade insult for insult'...It was a Hebraic Idiom, it was not speaking of a physical slap, but a verbal slap...
Yes, exactly

Old 09-16-2012, 10:53 AM

4 posts, read 6,684 times
Turning the other cheek was a demand for equality.
So glad you posted this topic. The misinterpretation of that scripture is one of my biggest pet-peeves in today's church. The real meaning of the passage is exactly opposite of what's taught.

Historical background is important.

The audience was Jewish. The abuser was in authority and the persecuted was considered of lower class. Striking someone was used to assert authority and dominance. Jewish law commanded the one in authority (perception only) had to strike with the back of their right hand because the left hand was used for unclean purposes. This meant a backhand strike could only from the left to right and turning the other cheek prevented the strike. Jesus was teaching the persecuted how to stand up for themselves without breaking Jewish law. An open handed slap was similar to a punch and that was a show of equality, which the abuser would never assume.

FYI - Two other scriptures are misinterpreted in a similar fashion. The one about going the extra mile and the other one about turning over your cloak. )

Here is the beauty of all truth. You (the OP) knew the truth in your heart. You asked the question from your heart and you got the truth. That is a key point in all of Jesus's teachings. Interesting isn't it?

Old 09-16-2012, 12:20 PM

4 posts, read 6,684 times
I agree with you that resistance to prideful retaliation is the intent of the lesson although that definition loses the heart of the message addressing the value of the person under persecution.

It gets interesting when you understand what was considered justifable retaliation.

Some interpretations of this scripture lean toward passive resistance which is the net effect of turning the other cheek; to avoid another slap. That said, Jesus’ teachings incited so much hostility in the Sanhedrin it is difficult to image a proponent of passive resistance threatened them to the point of execution. No, they were livid because Jesus leveled the field.

Jesus’ teachings in resistance were pure genius. He validated the persecuted while revealing the persecutor's transgressions, without condemning or judging of either side.

Old 09-16-2012, 04:20 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,366,102 times
So, it sounds like telling someone off is a sin, then, if you take this pretty literately?

Old 09-17-2012, 03:49 AM

154 posts, read 210,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Can we have so historical documentation for this? I have seen many times answers like this are just passed on as if they are true but cant be proved. For instance almost all preachers now teach that "meekness" really means strength or at the least "bridled strength".

Yet the Strongs gives us mild or humble as its meaning.

Old 09-17-2012, 04:41 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,026,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael The Disciple View Post
Can we have so historical documentation for this? I have seen many times answers like this are just passed on as if they are true but cant be proved. For instance almost all preachers now teach that "meekness" really means strength or at the least "bridled strength".

Yet the Strongs gives us mild or humble as its meaning.
My grandmother used the term in the way i described her whole life...There are a lot of hebraic idioms through out the bible...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity