Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 06:29 AM

268 posts, read 274,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
The law is designed for the ungodly, for the Spirit gives life to the believer. The law is called "the ministry of death written in stone" because it keeps believers from entering into rest. They drag the law into their Christian walk, and can't fully live in grace...

...and that's like Adam eating from both trees - it just doesn't work that way.

Adam cannot eat on both trees that's why he was driven out of Eden with Eve... yet the last Adam - Christ Jesus came out of Eden to look for the descendants of Adam and paid for their sins and was hanged on a tree between two law-breakers... He is the Fruit of the Tree of Life who said in John 6:53-56, Jesus said to them, "I am telling you the truth: if you do not eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you will not have life in yourselves. Those who eat my flesh and drink my blood have eternal life, and I will raise them to life on the last day. For my flesh is the real food; my blood is the real drink. Those who eat my flesh and drink my blood live in me, and I live in them."

One of the thieves believed on Him (ate his Word) and was ushered back to Paradise with Him while the other who mocked Him perished...

Grace was given to the thief who was saved, but he still suffered the consequences of breaking the law. He was still put to death as the Capital punishment - but his soul was saved. Law and Grace are balanced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2012, 03:36 AM

Law may be likened to the Dad in the house who gives order while grace may be likened to the Mom in the home who is always gracious to their children...

Old 10-04-2012, 06:15 AM

381 posts, read 795,862 times
the gospel , someone said, is about believing, not doing...

water and oil don't mix

i think 1 John 4 :17 and Hebrews 12:11 pretty much gives a gaurantee that God through the Holy
spirit will perfect us , in love, and we , as children of God, as heirs will yield the fruit of righteousness..

which is the desrie of God and the kind of holy behavior that christians seem to love to argue about...

verse 17 of 1 john 4 " love has been perfected among us in this: that we may have boldness in the day of judgement , because as He is, so are we in this world..

the legalists get caught up in the "keep the rules" mentality, when loving simply alows you to do it without any effort" when a legalist argues about being sinless (which is impossible this side of glory) its core source is human performance

godly behavior comes naturally in love when we know we are accepted by god, are HIS heirs, legitimate sons,daughters, and get the " written" gaurantee that he will chasten us, conform us into His image ...this is the perfecting process that legalists just cant wrap their mind around.

john 3:18 is totally sufficient for me "He who believes is not condemned" but so many other verses point you to love...and love is of God and God is love ...it covers all things Proverbs 10:12 "but love covers all sins"

Old 10-04-2012, 09:07 AM

2,541 posts, read 2,526,815 times
This is the Law of Christ: it is the Spirit of Life, the fruit of the Spirit that frees us from the the law of sin and spiritual death.

ROM 8:2-6 "For the law of the Spirit of Life in Christ Jesus has made me free from the law of sin and death. For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh: That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit. For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace."

Old 10-07-2012, 05:51 AM

What are we to do with this Scripture that give prominence of the Law in Matthew 5:17-19 Don't suppose that I came to do away with the Law and the Prophets. I did not come to do away with them, but to give them their full meaning. Heaven and earth may disappear. But I promise you that not even a period or comma will ever disappear from the Law. Everything written in it must happen. If you reject even the least important command in the Law and teach others to do the same, you will be the least important person in the kingdom of heaven. But if you obey and teach others its commands, you will have an important place in the kingdom."

Old 10-08-2012, 10:20 PM

381 posts, read 795,862 times
I think Jesus was talking to the pharisees and scribes pre death.....they were blind spiritually and did not know he was the promised one as foretold of in the Old testament in Isaiah, Joel etc

re the law, Paul said in like manner the law was our tutor till the "promise" Jesus should come.....

the law kept us in check, made us realize we couldn't keep it and was futile...jesus was the "remedy"

what do you think?

Old 10-11-2012, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave737driver View Post
I think Jesus was talking to the pharisees and scribes pre death.....they were blind spiritually and did not know he was the promised one as foretold of in the Old testament in Isaiah, Joel etc

re the law, Paul said in like manner the law was our tutor till the "promise" Jesus should come.....

the law kept us in check, made us realize we couldn't keep it and was futile...jesus was the "remedy"

what do you think?

The Law points out the dirt in our souls as the mirror does for the dirt in our face... yet the Law nor the mirror can never take away the sin or dirt... dirt can only be cleansed by water as our sins can only be washed away by the Blood of JESUS and the water of the Word...

And as we don't throw away the mirror after it showed our face's true condition... likewise we should never throw away the Law who constantly remind us the basic standard and house-rule of the Father in His own Household... As the saying goes, "don't throw the baby along with the bath water"

Old 10-21-2012, 09:58 AM

Law without Grace will produce rebels... while Grace without Law spoils... but Law with Grace will produce law-abiding happy citizens...

Old 10-21-2012, 01:26 PM

428 posts, read 328,273 times
Galatians 3:24-26
King James Version (KJV)
24 Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.

25 But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster.

26 For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus.

Seems pretty clear to me. Once we have come to faith in Jesus Christ we are no longer under the law. You cannot do both.

Old 10-21-2012, 02:02 PM

467 posts, read 662,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alabalfred View Post
Some say we must keep the LAW to be saved... While others say we no longer need the LAW because we are under GRACE... Still others say that we need both to balance our faith life...

Who can share his/her thoughts to enlighten us who need a bit of light on this matter?
We must follow the Laws set forth by Moses and also attain salvation through repentence and forgiveness of "sins" or karma. Some people appear to live under Grace, ie, nothing bad is happening to them, but that doesn't mean we should just coast through life believing the Grace of God takes care of everything. Every true believer knows you have to follow the Laws AND also actively participate on your path through prayer to bring forth forgiveness in order to have Grace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity