U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 01:13 PM

28,906 posts, read 44,278,246 times

Advertisements

I live about two miles from EWTN. Wandered through their studios several times when my children went to a parochial school run by the Dominican sisters. In addition, I knew any number of people who worked there. One was basically a lay evangelist for the Catholic church, if there is such a thing, who made it his personal mission to gratuitously begin theological arguments with me (He was out of his depth. Not a very good spokesman for the cause). On the whole, a lot of zealous people working there.

While I don't agree with Catholicism on a whole host of matters, I can admire conviction and determination. Mother Angelica didn't know the first thing about starting a television network, and look how far they've come.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2012, 01:51 PM

14,752 posts, read 26,895,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I live about two miles from EWTN. Wandered through their studios several times when my children went to a parochial school run by the Dominican sisters. In addition, I knew any number of people who worked there. One was basically a lay evangelist for the Catholic church, if there is such a thing, who made it his personal mission to gratuitously begin theological arguments with me (He was out of his depth. Not a very good spokesman for the cause). On the whole, a lot of zealous people working there.

While I don't agree with Catholicism on a whole host of matters, I can admire conviction and determination. Mother Angelica didn't know the first thing about starting a television network, and look how far they've come.
I couldn't be bothered to look up where it was located. I always assumed it was somewhere more isolated, possibly outside Tuscaloosa. I can only imagine the type of personality and vintage of Catholicism needed to work there. True about Mother Angelica. I think her purpose, given her humble roots, was an honorable one and that it began to pick up some "bad apples" that are part and parcel of an organization's growing pains. She's ancient by now ... probably over 90.

Old 11-26-2012, 02:59 PM

8,370 posts, read 8,256,506 times
Mother Angelica suffered a stroke in 2001. She is 89 years old.

Mother Angelica - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-26-2012, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Mother Angelica suffered a stroke in 2001. She is 89 years old.

Mother Angelica - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Thanks ... close. For some reason, I had 1921 in my head. Interesting bio, that's for sure.

Old 11-26-2012, 07:49 PM

854 posts, read 628,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
EWTN is dour. I don't think Catholicism should be dour. It should be positive and affirming. Like I said, I went to Catholic grade school when fear was the motivator. I didn't need that then, and I don't need that now. Also, I often wondered about Corapi. While he was charismatic and had a booming, animated voice, I was waiting for the other shoe to drop. Those who come from a checkered past and are now suddenly religious are the most dogmatic. The scandal did not surprise me in the least. All the more reason NOT to watch EWTN.

How did EWTN help non-practicing Catholics? I can see if maybe they're elderly and/or on their death bed?

For the meantime, I have stopped attending. And if I ran into a parish that had the EWTN vibe instead of an informal one, I would not attend.
It can be dry, but it's not dour. Only an anti-Catholic Catholic would presume so.

The Journey Home is the best show on EWTN. Highly recommend it.

Old 11-26-2012, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodToBeHome View Post
It can be dry, but it's not dour. Only an anti-Catholic Catholic would presume so.

The Journey Home is the best show on EWTN. Highly recommend it.
Two things, hon (and I'm assuming you're a lady).

1) Their gospels and homilies seem to be of the lake of sulfur and fire variety, or I just get "lucky" and tune into those, and

2) I'm an anti-"holier than thou" Catholic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or