Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What say you?
It's better that most go to hell and a few go to heaven 6 28.57%
It'd be better if God never created us/we all just die 15 71.43%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 09:41 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,387,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieparson View Post
That people go to hell is their own fault. They reject their creator, they reject the medicine of the Gospel that is offered to them. It shows the true evil of people that they not only reject God, and reject their own opportunity to be saved, but would also deny to others the chance and enjoyment of eternal life. Just like the Pharisees in Jesus day.

Lk 11:52 "Woe to you experts in the law, because you have taken away the key to knowledge. You yourselves have not entered, and you have hindered those who were entering."

From another thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieparson
Jesus has not only done everything necessary for my salvation, but He continues to do what is needed and will in the future. This is also true of the Father and the Holy Spirit. God is my light and my salvation. Blessed be the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit.

It continually amazes me that Lutherans can believe that it is God who is wholly responsible for their salvation, but yet would deny that God is also wholly responsible for the salvation of others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2012, 09:45 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,283,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
And how will people recognize God/Love when that Image is so completely distorted by doctrines like Eternal Torment?
Hey Pleroo

By speaking a word in season to them that causes them to wake up and come to their senses. Quoting the bible at someone never causes anyone to recognize anything, speaking a word in season by the Spirit does.

Old 10-06-2012, 09:48 AM

861 posts, read 1,249,406 times
The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time. ~Mark Twain

My experience is that many religious folks are extremely fearful beings. The most fundamental fear is living life as a independent thinker, free of the trappings of dogma. If you thing they're not fearful, watch how they attack this post. It doesn't matter if they're Christian, Muslum, Mormon or Jew. Fearful people are fearful.

Old 10-06-2012, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Hey Pleroo

By speaking a word in season to them that causes them to wake up and come to their senses. Quoting the bible at someone never causes anyone to recognize anything, speaking a word in season by the Spirit does.

It was a rhetorical question, but good answer nonetheless.

Old 10-06-2012, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieparson View Post
That people go to hell is their own fault. They reject their creator, they reject the medicine of the Gospel that is offered to them. It shows the true evil of people that they not only reject God, and reject their own opportunity to be saved, but would also deny to others the chance and enjoyment of eternal life. Just like the Pharisees in Jesus day.

Lk 11:52 "Woe to you experts in the law, because you have taken away the key to knowledge. You yourselves have not entered, and you have hindered those who were entering."
Parson ... think on this: "This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers."

As a Christian, why wouldn't you be willing to lay down the "enjoyment" of your "eternal" life so that your fellow humans would not suffer an eternity of torment? What does that say about the state of your own heart?

Old 10-06-2012, 11:05 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,283,016 times
Quote:
It was a rhetorical question, but good answer nonetheless.
I know, I just used the opportunity to share we can get beyond the entangling doctrines of religious man that have so easily beset our minds, so much that we have such a difficult time seeing God other than against us, mad with mankind and distant from us. The scriptures are full of verses that state that He is Long suffering tolerant, patient with us,that His mercy is enduring that He does not reward us according to our iniquity, that He remembers we are formed from dust, but unfortunately the doctrines of man have no allowances for such things being able to do its perfect work, nor do their doctrines inspire faith because sin is greater than grace in their belief.

Love does no harm to its neighbor. Therefore love IS the fulfillment of the law.

Old 10-06-2012, 11:06 AM

63,796 posts, read 40,068,856 times
Quote:
Parson ... think on this: "This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers."

As a Christian, why wouldn't you be willing to lay down the "enjoyment" of your "eternal" life so that your fellow humans would not suffer an eternity of torment? What does that say about the state of your own heart?
::Sigh::Those who think they are somehow "special" to God because of what THEY do instead of what Christ HAS DONE . . . cannot be swayed by reason and logic. They believe themselves special and nothing will deter them from that belief. It will ultimately make no difference to God . . . they will reap what they sow (as will we ALL). BUT they certainly can be a source of aggravation and even evil in the world . . . through their self-righteous beliefs and judgmental actions.

Old 10-06-2012, 11:07 AM

Quote:
I know, I just used the opportunity to share we can get beyond the entangling doctrines of religious man that have so easily beset our minds, so much that we have such a difficult time seeing God other than against us, mad with mankind and distant from us. The scriptures are full of verses that state that He is Long suffering tolerant, patient with us,that His mercy is enduring that He does not reward us according to our iniquity, that He remembers we are formed from dust, but unfortunately the doctrines of man have no allowances for such things being able to do its perfect work, nor do their doctrines inspire faith because sin is greater than grace in their belief.

Love does no harm to its neighbor. Therefore love IS the fulfillment of the law.
Thank you pcamps. Your posts always lift my spirits.

Old 10-06-2012, 11:10 AM

63,796 posts, read 40,068,856 times
Quote:

Your posts are excellent efforts to reach others through the Holy Spirit, pcamps. God will do the rest. Our task is easy . . . "love God and each other" daily and repent when we don't. God Bless, my friend.

Old 10-06-2012, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
::Sigh::Those who think they are somehow "special" to God because of what THEY do instead of what Christ HAS DONE . . . cannot be swayed by reason and logic. They believe themselves special and nothing will deter them from that belief. It will ultimately make no difference to God . . . they will reap what they sow (as will we ALL). BUT they certainly can be a source of aggravation and even evil in the world . . . through their self-righteous beliefs and judgmental actions.
I have to take frequent respites from this forum because it can be so disheartening.

I cannot understand the mindset that would allow one to be eternally joyful while thinking others are in torment with no hope of reprieve, EVER.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity