U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2012, 07:01 PM

1,321 posts, read 1,003,478 times

Advertisements

<< Matthew 6 >>

Prayer

5 “And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full. 6 But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. 7 And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words. 8 Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him.

9“This, then, is how you should pray:

“‘Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be your name,
10 your kingdom come,
your will be done
on earth as it is in heaven.
11 Give us today our daily bread.
12 Forgive us our debts,
as we also have forgiven our debtors.
13 And lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from the evil one.a’
14 For if you forgive men when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. 15 But if you do not forgive men their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2012, 12:09 PM

1,047 posts, read 1,894,385 times
All three.

"In the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. Amen."

Old 10-20-2012, 06:41 AM

1,542 posts, read 1,015,399 times
[quote=Katzpur;26492976]I agree that you should close your prayers in Jesus Christ's name, and I do that myself. On the other hand, when do you think God stopped hearing people's prayers who don't do that? He apparently heard the prayers of all of the people in the Old Testament. I personally believe that He hears the prayers of non-Christians today, although (based on what you have just said), I suspect you would disagree with me. ( [quote]
Katzpur,
I believe we can direct our prayers to God in the name of Jesus. Also when Stephen was being stoned to death in Acts 7:[59] And they stoned Stephen, calling upon God, and saying, Lord Jesus, receive my spirit. [60] And he kneeled down, and cried with a loud voice, Lord, lay not this sin to their charge. And when he had said this, he fell asleep.
Stephen directed his prayer directly to the Lord Jesus, showing that he considered Jesus as equal to God, and he showed the same forgiving spirit that Christ had when he prayed to His Father to forgive those who were crucifying Him "For they know not what they do"
Best wishes personally as we seek diligently to do God's will,
Bob

Last edited by june 7th; 10-24-2012 at 07:20 AM.. Reason: Red is reserved for moderator actions within threads. Any other color is fine. Thanks.

Old 10-20-2012, 09:19 AM

686 posts, read 393,296 times

Sorry, but she’s right, Jehovah God doesn’t hear many prayers. Example. Many make stupid or selfish prayers. Example…. “God Jesus, lord, please make my team win” ,(competition God NOR Jesus deals with), Phillip. 2:3 Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves. Those in competitions wants to win, they stick their chest out knowing they’re better than any other. On a reality tv show, (which true followers of Jesus , (Christians), shouldn’t be on), a guy prayed to Jesus that if it’s his will. To either help him win a competition or win a idol so that he could be saved. Sadly it came true ,so he KNEW god answer his prayers. What wrong with this picture, if he truly follower Jesus, he would have known Jesus NOR his Father, deals with things of the world. Jesus showed this, (John 17:16 They are not of the world, even as I am not of the world).

Then there's the....”god is great” prayer, if it’s not ending with Jesus name, it isn’t heard. If’s it’s said just as a repetition meaning in a speedy way, so one can start eating. Or an adult using this, since an adult would know better and should come to Jehovah God more correctly , it isn't heard. Many wants to believe ALL prayers are heard. But would one really believe God would accept a prayer, for example. Some says…”I’m going to fornicate today, then ask God to forgive me later." Later comes they remember to do the prayer. NOT feeling bad for what they did earlier, just trying to save their butts, so that if they die, they know god forgave them of that. Jesus would NOT take it to his Father , and his Father wouldn’t even hear it. Because it was in vain that he prayed, NOT because he truly now regretted it. And no, God did NOT ALWAYSheard the prayers of all of the people in the Old Testament.”

Even his own people who IF they disrespect his rules. Saul did something that angered God, to the point that God wouldn’t hear his prayers ,(1 Sam.[SIZE=3]28:6 And when Saul inquired of the LORD, the LORD answered him not, neither by dreams, nor by Urim, nor by prophets). Many Christians live an immoral life, and follow the ways of the world. and many believe ALL their prayers are answered, they’re NOT, (Isa. 1:15,16 And when ye spread forth your hands, I will hide mine eyes from you: yea, when ye make many prayers, I will not hear: your hands are full of blood. Wash you, make you clean; put away the evil of your doings from before mine eyes; cease to do evil). And (Isa. 59:1-4). Also Jesus taught in in ways which we should pray ,(Matt.[/SIZE]6:9-13). Now, we don’t have to daily repeat the exact prayer, but we do need to incorporate the key points into our own.

One main thing Jesus taught us was to make his Father’s name Holy and honor it ,( verse 9 After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name). but if we refuse to say his name, or acknowledge him, how can we do this? We also have pray that God’s kingdom come on earth, like it is in Heaven ,(10 Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven). How can that happen if many believe "ALL good goes to Heaven?" To Not incorporate that is to say Jesus was wrong, Which means we don’t believe. That would cause Jesus NOT to take our prayers to his Father. Then there’s the many ministers, men who SUPPOSE to lead the people to everlasting life. IF… these men are NOT teaching TOTAL truth. they’re wasting their time when praying ,(especially), in front of their flocks). These ones are men of satan, (even if they teach some truth) , Jerm. 23:14-22 , 2Cor. 11:13-15 , Matt. 23:13-15 , Matt. 23:1-7). we can either except God's words, or choose to ignore or deny them. i personally welcome the truth, because i want it, and i want to TRY to be a servant of Jehovah God, follower of Jesus. I KNOW!… if I want my prayers taken to the Father by Jesus. I better make sure I’m coming correctly or NOT come at all. peace

Old 10-20-2012, 12:03 PM

50,969 posts, read 50,278,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I'm curious as to whether you address your prayers to God the Father or to His Son, Jesus Christ.

The reason for my question is that I've heard people say that they "ask Jesus" for things. I've also heard people say, "thank you, Jesus." My own prayers are always addressed to God the Father, but I offer them "in the name of Jesus Christ." What about you? Please include an explanation of why, along with your answer.
I pray to God. I also think that sometimes the perfunctory "this we ask in Jesus's name", which of course comes from the verse where Jesus said that God will grant what you ask in his name, borders on superstition. It's often added to the end of the prayer sort of as an insurance policy, without heartfelt thought, and I try to avoid doing that in my personal prayers.

Old 10-21-2012, 11:30 PM

2,981 posts, read 4,294,624 times
I pray to -call on the name of- the same One Paul prayed to in Acts 9, and the same One Ananias prayed to, in Acts 9 -and the same one all the believers prayed to, in the NT -and so on and so forth.
Prayer is conversation, worship, thanksgiving, praise. When I pray to Jesus, I'm talking to Him, worshiping Him, thanking and praising Him and petitioning Him.
When He talks to me in the Person of God the Word, I listen and obey. When He talks to me in the Person of God the Holy Spirit, I listen and Obey. Jesus promised that the Comforter -the Person of the Holy Spirit- and He and the Father would come and dwell in me, in John 14.
That is the pattern we see in our brothers in the Scriptures.
God speaks to us, we speak to Him.

9 Meanwhile, Saul was still breathing out murderous threats against the Lord’s disciples. He went to the high priest 2 and asked him for letters to the synagogues in Damascus, so that if he found any there who belonged to the Way, whether men or women, he might take them as prisoners to Jerusalem. 3 As he neared Damascus on his journey, suddenly a light from heaven flashed around him. 4 He fell to the ground and heard a voice say to him, “Saul, Saul, why do you persecute me?”
5 “Who are you, Lord?” Saul asked.
I am Jesus, whom you are persecuting,” he replied. 6 “Now get up and go into the city, and you will be told what you must do.”
10 In Damascus there was a disciple named Ananias. The Lord called to him in a vision, “Ananias!”
“Yes, Lord,” he answered.
11 The Lord told him, “Go to the house of Judas on Straight Street and ask for a man from Tarsus named Saul, for he is praying. 12 In a vision he has seen a man named Ananias come and place his hands on him to restore his sight.”
13 “Lord,” Ananias answered, “I have heard many reports about this man and all the harm he has done to your holy people in Jerusalem. 14 And he has come here with authority from the chief priests to arrest all who call on your name.”

15 But the Lord said to Ananias, “Go! This man is my chosen instrument to proclaim my name to the Gentiles and their kings and to the people of Israel. 16 I will show him how much he must suffer for my name.”

Old 10-23-2012, 04:43 PM

37,333 posts, read 25,137,269 times
Default Who do you pray to?

Silly question. There IS only one God . . . so no matter who you THINK you are praying to . . . it is always the same one. The difference . . . you either are correct in what you THINK or you are not. It makes no difference to God. Only petty humans would concern themselves with ego issues like jealousy. For God . . . there is no one to be jealous OF and no one else to pray TO, period.

Old 10-23-2012, 05:19 PM

428 posts, read 241,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Silly question. There IS only one God . . . so no matter who you THINK you are praying to . . . it is always the same one. The difference . . . you either are correct in what you THINK or you are not. It makes no difference to God. Only petty humans would concern themselves with ego issues like jealousy. For God . . . there is no one to be jealous OF and no one else to pray TO, period.
Ex. 20:5 "..........for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, .............."

Old 10-23-2012, 07:28 PM

5,716 posts, read 4,567,696 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Joe Bob
Ex. 20:5 "..........for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, .............."
Quote:
The people who wrote that and ascribed that human weakness to God in their ignorance were barbarians. Jealousy is a human psychological weakness . . . and God has no such weaknesses.

Old 10-23-2012, 07:58 PM

1,321 posts, read 1,003,478 times
Who's image are we created in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity