Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2012, 10:52 AM

476 posts, read 466,574 times

Advertisements

Today, I wanted to find the verse in the bible that says something to the effect that if you don't work, you shouldn't eat. I tracked it to 2 Thessalonians 3:10.

However, I did a double take when I read the scripture on biblegateway.com:

6-9 Our orders—backed up by the Master, Jesus—are to refuse to have anything to do with those among you who are lazy and refuse to work the way we taught you. Don’t permit them to freeload on the rest. We showed you how to pull your weight when we were with you, so get on with it. We didn’t sit around on our hands expecting others to take care of us. In fact, we worked our fingers to the bone, up half the night moonlighting so you wouldn’t be burdened with taking care of us. And it wasn’t because we didn’t have a right to your support; we did. We simply wanted to provide an example of diligence, hoping it would prove contagious.
10-13 Don’t you remember the rule we had when we lived with you? “If you don’t work, you don’t eat.” And now we’re getting reports that a bunch of lazy good-for-nothings are taking advantage of you. This must not be tolerated. We command them to get to work immediately—no excuses, no arguments—and earn their own keep. Friends, don’t slack off in doing your duty.
14-15 If anyone refuses to obey our clear command written in this letter, don’t let him get by with it. Point out such a person and refuse to subsidize his freeloading. Maybe then he’ll think twice. But don’t treat him as an enemy. Sit him down and talk about the problem as someone who cares.

This doesn't sound like the Bible at all. It's weird cuz Biblegateway appears to be a legit Christian site, not a mock site. Did their site get hacked or something? lol

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=2 Thessalonians+3&version=MSG
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2012, 11:52 AM

428 posts, read 330,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWD39 View Post
Today, I wanted to find the verse in the bible that says something to the effect that if you don't work, you shouldn't eat. I tracked it to 2 Thessalonians 3:10.

6-9 Our orders—backed up by the Master, Jesus—are to refuse to have anything to do with those among you who are lazy and refuse to work the way we taught you. Don’t permit them to freeload on the rest. We showed you how to pull your weight when we were with you, so get on with it. We didn’t sit around on our hands expecting others to take care of us. In fact, we worked our fingers to the bone, up half the night moonlighting so you wouldn’t be burdened with taking care of us. And it wasn’t because we didn’t have a right to your support; we did. We simply wanted to provide an example of diligence, hoping it would prove contagious.
10-13 Don’t you remember the rule we had when we lived with you? “If you don’t work, you don’t eat.” And now we’re getting reports that a bunch of lazy good-for-nothings are taking advantage of you. This must not be tolerated. We command them to get to work immediately—no excuses, no arguments—and earn their own keep. Friends, don’t slack off in doing your duty.
14-15 If anyone refuses to obey our clear command written in this letter, don’t let him get by with it. Point out such a person and refuse to subsidize his freeloading. Maybe then he’ll think twice. But don’t treat him as an enemy. Sit him down and talk about the problem as someone who cares.

This doesn't sound like the Bible at all. It's weird cuz Biblegateway appears to be a legit Christian site, not a mock site. Did their site get hacked or something? lol

2 - - Bible Gateway Thessalonians+3&version=MSG
That is exactly what the "Message" say's. It's not so much a translation as someones view of what it says. I suggest you use a better translation.

Old 11-06-2012, 02:23 PM

20,438 posts, read 12,775,263 times
NIV 84

6 In the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, we command you, brothers, to keep away from every brother who is idle and does not live according to the teaching you received from us. 7 For you yourselves know how you ought to follow our example. We were not idle when we were with you, 8 nor did we eat anyone’s food without paying for it. On the contrary, we worked night and day, laboring and toiling so that we would not be a burden to any of you. 9 We did this, not because we do not have the right to such help, but in order to make ourselves a model for you to follow. 10 For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: “If a man will not work, he shall not eat.”

11 We hear that some among you are idle. They are not busy; they are busybodies. 12 Such people we command and urge in the Lord Jesus Christ to settle down and earn the bread they eat. 13 And as for you, brothers, never tire of doing what is right.

14 If anyone does not obey our instruction in this letter, take special note of him. Do not associate with him, in order that he may feel ashamed. 15 Yet do not regard him as an enemy, but warn him as a brother.

Old 11-06-2012, 03:46 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,180,832 times
Quote:

That is the "Message" 'translation'. It's a paraphrase written by 1 person -- Eugene Peterson. Some parts of it are pretty good....others pretty bad. He intended it to be easy reading for modern-day people. If you want a word-for-word translation, use the NASB or ESV. The NIV is also pretty good.

The Bible was written in Greek and Hebrew...but there are some differences in how a person translates it. Anyone who speaks 2 languages or more can see the issues with translation.

Old 11-06-2012, 05:29 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,883,211 times
Quote:

That scripture is for the church. If someone is a professing believer and has that attitude/laziness, it absolutely means what it says. It's not talking about someone genuinely in hard times.

Old 11-06-2012, 08:59 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,908,149 times
If you carefully consider the text this applies not to people who want to work but can't find work, but to those who are lazy, refuse jobs and expect others to feed them. I would apply this also to a lot of people today who are taking government handouts and not even trying to get off the dole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity