U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 03:43 PM

223 posts, read 203,522 times

Advertisements

God is the most powerful entity in the universe. Which means he has the power to destroy the devil...and yet doesn't. Why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2012, 05:35 PM

5,807 posts, read 4,790,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elfstorage View Post
God is the most powerful entity in the universe. Which means he has the power to destroy the devil...and yet doesn't. Why?
What is your definition of "the devil"?

Old 10-10-2012, 05:53 PM

515 posts, read 624,687 times
Quote:
Because religious folk have to have a bad guy on whom to lay the blame.

Earthquake kills thousands....blame devil.
Parent has cancer...blame devil.
Cat gets run over...blame devil.
I ran amok with women/money/drugs...blame devil.

Such a wonderfully convenient scapegoat! There's no way the gawd believers would permit their guy in the sky to destroy the designated bad guy.

No fun in that.

Old 10-10-2012, 05:54 PM

6,435 posts, read 9,961,521 times
God WILL destroy Satan. It is prophesied in Revelations. The reason he hasn't as of yet is because he's letting Satan tempt and test humanity. God has to see who is worthy of the kingdom. Who will chose righteousness and take up the cross or who will follow after the devil. That will determine their hearts. He did the same thing with the angels. Satan became rebellious and 1/3 of the angels willingly left their place in Heaven to follow after him. That determined where their hearts were at. So he does with humanity.

Old 10-10-2012, 07:05 PM

20,421 posts, read 9,837,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
What is your definition of "the devil"?
Good question, yet many continue to get it wrong.

"If you are a devil or accuser of any sort, you should be repulsed by the truth; not an accusation."

Old 10-10-2012, 08:50 PM

6,370 posts, read 5,818,836 times
Quote:
Who and what the "Devil" is misunderstood. The "Devil" is nothing other than the exhibition of man's DISOBEDIENCE.

What that means is that if Man doesn't exist then there will be no such thing as the "Devil". But God intended for there to be this "devil". Because man had to learn "Good and Evil" because God was creating His own kind which knows Good and Evil:

Gen 3:22 And the LORD God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever:

But let's consider why?

Rom 8:20 For the creature was made subject to vanity, not willingly, but by reason of him who hath subjected the same in hope,

What God is doing is having us to APPRECIATE what GOOD really is. If there were no Evil then we could never appreciate what GOOD actually is.

Old 10-10-2012, 08:52 PM

5,965 posts, read 5,763,184 times
It is only human to ask such a question. The question takes many forms.

Such as:

Why does God allow suffering?

Why does God allow sin?

Why does God allow disease?

Was it possible for God to make sentient beings without allowing so much pain?

I do not have the answers. At times, I have felt like I understood the reasons. But other times, I wonder how a good God can allow the magnitude of suffering that consumes the human family. It is perplexing -- the problem of evil.

Old 10-10-2012, 09:08 PM

6,370 posts, read 5,818,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
It is only human to ask such a question. The question takes many forms.

Such as:

Why does God allow suffering?

Why does God allow sin?

Why does God allow disease?

Was it possible for God to make sentient beings without allowing so much pain?

I do not have the answers. At times, I have felt like I understood the reasons. But other times, I wonder how a good God can allow the magnitude of suffering that consumes the human family. It is perplexing -- the problem of evil.
It is because we have sin.

Old 10-10-2012, 09:20 PM

5,807 posts, read 4,790,712 times
Here is my viewpoint:

What is "the devil"? satan? What is "satan"? satan = adversary.
Who/what is the adversary? The adversary is that which opposes.

Opposes what?? God.

What is God? God is LOVE.

What opposes LOVE?

WE DO.
within each of us is the "adversary". You can call it "satan", you can call it "devil", you can call it "anti-christ". This adversary is Within ME. within YOU.

In any given moment, when we choose the non-loving path, our feet are walking on the wide path that leads to destruction. In any given moment, when we choose the loving path.... our feet are walking on the narrow path that leads to life.

WE are ALL in this together. We are learning. We are LOVED.
Everything trickles down. What affects one, affects us all.
We are ONE. (though we cannot understand or comprehend it right now.)

God IS destroying "the devil". By having mankind walk through this schoolyard of the knowledge of good and evil (knowledge of love and non-love). LOVE CONQUERS ALL. Eventually, the opposition to love will weaken and fall by the wayside. Eventually, when non-love has been exhausted and we as mankind finally understand the big picture of the weak, yet wholly destructive nature of non-love -versus- the all-consuming undeniable, overwhelming reconciling POWER of LOVE... then and only then will "the devil" finally be destroyed.

The message of the cross is misunderstood. Jesus wasn't God's whipping boy. Christ represented LOVE, Christ pointed the way to the FATHER. Mankind put Christ on a cross and tried to destroy LOVE... but LOVE (Christ) was resurrected. The message of the cross is: LOVE WILL TRIUMPH. LOVE WILL CONQUER. LOVE WINS. That is FAITH. Believing that ultimately, LOVE has the final word. LOVE WILL TRIUMPH. That is the message of the cross.

It is what is WITHIN each of us that is slowly being refined, the dross being burned out of us like a silversmith burns the impurities out of silver... until he sees his own reflection staring back at him.

We are all in this together.
The "devil" is slowly, yet persistently being destroyed.
That is what this life is all about.

just some thoughts.
peace,
sparrow

Old 10-10-2012, 11:02 PM

11,258 posts, read 11,273,591 times
Quote:
How come god does not destroy the devil?
Good question.

Maybe because that old excuse, "the debbil made me do it" just doesn't cut ice anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity