U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2012, 05:07 PM

6 posts, read 4,451 times

Advertisements

There are so many opinions on the Olivet Discourse, one could get very lost. Most people just chose one that fits with their emotional needs, like a security blanket to cling to. A popular one is to believe that the last earthquake detailed on TV is an indicator, a "sign" that Jesus is about to appear. It's been a popular view for over 1000 yrs that earthquakes and starvation mean Jesus.

This post is for those who are not satisfied with all the varied and conflicting opinions available today. It's for those people that have spent considerable time researching and realized that all the opinions today leave questions unanswered, and hence reject them all.

This post if for those few, very few, who want the truth and will not be satisfied until they can understand it in such a way as if they heard it for themself from Christ Himself, as if one were there on the Mt. of Olives.

If you want to be able to read it so that it is to you a coherent talk from Jesus to His most loved friends, if you don't want it to be just a disjointed bunch of verses stuck together and left to the mass of people to decipher for themselves, if you want to hear the truth, then this post is for you.

issuu.com/a.s.o.h.

Last edited by thendsnotnigh; 10-10-2012 at 05:11 PM.. Reason: You poor HTML translation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2012, 04:59 AM

8,119 posts, read 7,098,105 times
Yes as sin in the earth grows then Jesus did say in Matthew 24.....Take heed that no man deceive you, for many will come in my name, saying I am Christ, and will deceive many...and you will hear of wars and rumors of wars, see that you be not troubled, for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet....For nations will rise against nations, and kingdom against kingdoms, and there will be famines, and pestilences, and earthquakes, in different places....All these are the beginning of sorrows....Then will they deliver you up to be afflicted, and will kill you, and you will be hated of all nations for my name sake....```.......See you can hear the spirit of the false prophet with the global warming and blaming earthquakes and droughts different weather patterns, with the gasses in the earth diverting away from the sin and corruption in the earth which Jesus warned us , were the gasses will never reach its magnitude to what the people of the spirit of the false prophet are predicting , and nations are going broke trying to pay for global warming reduction ...You should see that the spirit of the false prophet and the babylon spirit of the greed of this investors market who control the world will all collapse as the money runs out .......An these will be those beginnings of sorrows , which told us were coming as sin grows as this parable of the fig leaves which summer of the growing season will be over and Jesus will indeed have to come before His Church disappears and His promise is lost....

Old 10-16-2012, 03:18 PM

8,777 posts, read 10,888,867 times
Jesus Christ delivered what is referred to as the Olivet Discourse (??and all that??). It is quite coherent and relatively simple for those truly seeking God's truth (even when it doesn't agree with their own opinions). Your description of "A popular view ... that the last earthquake detailed on TV is an indicator, a "sign" that Jesus is about to appear. It's been a popular view for over 1000 yrs that earthquakes and starvation mean Jesus" .... really isn't! You are apparently projecting your own misunderstanding of Christ's teachings (not really that complicated, unless one chooses to 'cherry pick' them out of context) on others. --- "Those who have eyes to see and ears to hear ... will hear and see what God's Spirit is saying; to others without the Holy Spirit, these things are foolishness." (I Cor 2:13-15; Rev. 1:3)

Yes, there are certain 'generic signs' that are common to every generation: "wars, rumors of wars, earthquakes, famine, signs in the sky, etc" .... but, these are certainly NOT the entire basis of the End Time discussion, nor are they presented/ accepted as such by any knowledgeable Bible students. The reality is that every generation and individual faces their own End Times (You don't see any ancient Hittites or Egyptians running around do you?). But, the point remains: 'God believed it was important for Christ to reveal these 'signs' ("birth pains") to us' --- How we choose to respond to or even ignore them deserves our serious attention, not the lunacy that today often puts any religious opinion on equal ground with God's inspired Word.

Note: All Scripture is inspired by God, but, all opinions or interpretations are NOT! - Get over it and focus on God's truth, instead of what you hear 'other people saying' ... and, like others, you will unexpectedly discover God's truths for yourself.

Last edited by jghorton; 10-16-2012 at 03:26 PM..

Old 10-17-2012, 01:45 PM

Well, not much here. Seems the popular view holds. Disjointed as it is.

Hey, I heard there was an earthquake out in Maine the other day. I guess Jesus just inched closer.

And the pestillence in Africa is bolstering the faith of many professed Christians all over the world.

As long as it doesn't touch them.

Old 10-17-2012, 01:47 PM

By the way posters, if you'd have read my post, then you'd have realized that it wasn't for you.

Old 10-17-2012, 01:53 PM

1,319 posts, read 1,221,469 times
The "end" was in the first century.

Old 10-18-2012, 09:32 PM

260 posts, read 306,671 times
The synoptic gospels were named I believe in the 1700's and are the gospels of Matthew,Mark and I believe perhaps
Luke. They contain prophecy's many believe refer to pre-tribualtion rapture (caught up) church (defined as believers).
It referrences the 7 year tribulation (set asside for unbelievers who will have a second chance to accept Christ many
being martyred (beheaded) for not accepting antichrist teachings (mark of the beast on arm or forehead). I'm cool
with it.

Old 10-19-2012, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowdog View Post
The "end" was in the first century.
Which "end"... Even a string has two.

Old 10-19-2012, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
Yes as sin in the earth grows then Jesus did say in Matthew 24.....Take heed that no man deceive you, for many will come in my name, saying I am Christ, and will deceive many...and you will hear of wars and rumors of wars, see that you be not troubled, for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet....For nations will rise against nations, and kingdom against kingdoms, and there will be famines, and pestilences, and earthquakes, in different places....All these are the beginning of sorrows....Then will they deliver you up to be afflicted, and will kill you, and you will be hated of all nations for my name sake....```......
Actually, Jesus didn't say anything of the kind. (see highlight) Some translations may say that, but Jesus didn't.

Some translations translate the phrase "beginnings of birth pains" as "sorrows" because those translators hope to impress their false teaching on readers.

What Jesus really said was "beginnings of birth pains" which was a common metaphor in use at the time. It means "false alarm", as the "pains" were not a newborn son, but just pains, and only the beginning in fact. So He didn't want the Jewish Christians "to be decieved".

The truth of Jesus words, "false alarm" is consistant with the context and spirit of His teaching, "be not decieved" ..."these things MUST come to pass" (as they are common reality) "the end is not yet".

That being said, after Sept 11 when those three buildings fell, the churches were filled to capacity, because people equate calamity of any kind with Christ.

Very sad situation, to think of Jesus because of mankind's suffering. To suggest that Jesus would use, as His marker, calamity.

Workers of lawlessness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or