Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 03:02 PM

3,040 posts, read 5,001,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Right - and no one has physically seen evolution take place. So I say it's a hoax. And I'm not talking about some microbes on a petri dish.

Why does it still not occur? There are still apes in existence - so it's not like all of the apes have evolved and there are no more left. What stopped the process?
Apes are apes, humans are humans, we both belong to the Primate family of animals, now that being said, humans did NOT evolve from apes. We both share a common ancestor but that is where it ends, apes took a totally different path than Homo Sapiens did along their evolution to where they are today. This is why you will never see an ape magically turn into a human.

You really need to educate yourself on this theory if you expect to carry on an intelligent conversation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2012, 03:22 PM

3,598 posts, read 4,949,242 times
Since I see that some of you are allergic to reading, I tried to find the shortest, simplest videos to get the basics of evolution through even the thickest skulls:

Richard Dawkins: Flatfish(Halibut) Evolution - YouTube

"Evolution is Fact" - Carl Sagan - YouTube

Intelligent Design? Watch it get schooled. - YouTube

Old 10-18-2012, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryj View Post
Apes are apes, humans are humans, we both belong to the Primate family of animals, now that being said, humans did NOT evolve from apes. We both share a common ancestor but that is where it ends, apes took a totally different path than Homo Sapiens did along their evolution to where they are today. This is why you will never see an ape magically turn into a human.

You really need to educate yourself on this theory if you expect to carry on an intelligent conversation.
Thanks Terry. You said it more eloquently than I. We share ancestry with other primates... in fact they are cousins. Let's go to the videotape for the play-by-play to see how brother Dawkins explains it :

Richard Dawkins: Why are there still Chimpanzees? - Nebraska Vignettes #2 - YouTube

Old 10-18-2012, 04:12 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logline View Post
DRob, if you don't even try to educate yourself on the very basic facts of what evolution is, why are you so against it? I know it must be uncomfortable for you to accept a fact when it flies in the face of everything the church taught you, but it's still true. Do you know what kind of timeline evolution works on? Although it CAN be observed within a single human's lifetime in a very limited number of examples, the years it takes to go from an ape to a human takes millions of years... and yes, there HAVE been examples of species in between us and them. Just because YOU haven't been alive that long doesn't mean it isn't happening incrementally every day. Why are you purposely choosing to be ignorant? Because it makes you happy? I've posted some links before... you obviously didn't read them. Here's another: Epigenetics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You evolution deniers are really scary.
I'm just your regular guy here. I like to keep things simple. Evolution as a concept isn't difficult to understand, right? Start as an ape, transform to a human over time. As something that actually happens, I don't see it. OK - physically, apes look like humans more than the rest of the animal species. But intellectually, spiritually - you can't get to here from there.

I did read the links - which is why I responded that no one has seen evolution.

Old 10-18-2012, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Thanks Terry. You said it more eloquently than I. We share ancestry with other primates... in fact they are cousins. Let's go to the videotape for the play-by-play to see how brother Dawkins explains it :

Richard Dawkins: Why are there still Chimpanzees? - Nebraska Vignettes #2 - YouTube
What I see in this video is a guy former of Family Feud (just kidding - I know RD died) telling me that a white woman is related in its makeup to an African ape. I am supposed to believe that just because he says so?

There is no real evidence. You must believe that by faith.

Old 10-18-2012, 04:23 PM

428 posts, read 330,806 times
Quote:
Jimmy Joe Bob: Your own link proves you wrong when you say "so far no one has ever documented any evolution only adaptation." You know that, right? Please tell me you understand what you just posted.

Are you seriously arguing that there is no evolution? Really?
Of course. Never seen a single bit of evidence for it. And science cannot prove it scientifically. It's a faith in a man made theory that has always failed to provide sound evidence to support itself.

Old 10-18-2012, 04:49 PM

3,040 posts, read 5,001,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Joe Bob View Post
Of course. Never seen a single bit of evidence for it. And science cannot prove it scientifically. It's a faith in a man made theory that has always failed to provide sound evidence to support itself.
Evolution is nothing more than the ability to adapt. When conditions in the enviroment change either a species will adapt or it will go extinct, it's that simple. Sometimes a mutation will occure, if that mutation has positive affects the mutation will be passed down to future generations, such as an opposable thumb, and if the mutation becomes a detriment then the animal, plant or what have you will not survive, the mutation stops.

We see evolution taking place even in our life time, a 100 years ago the average height of a male was 5'6" and people on the average to 60 years old. Today the average height of a male is 6' and our life has been extended to about 75 years. This is adaptation based on our enviroment, also called evolution. This is the definition that Darwin was talking about, the adaption of species through natural selection.

Old 10-18-2012, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Since I see that some of you are allergic to reading, I tried to find the shortest, simplest videos to get the basics of evolution through even the thickest skulls:

Richard Dawkins: Flatfish(Halibut) Evolution - YouTube

"Evolution is Fact" - Carl Sagan - YouTube

Intelligent Design? Watch it get schooled. - YouTube
These videos tell me I should believe evolution just because they say so.

The halibut adapts to its environment. The crab has a Japanese like face so its survives and thrives because people won't eat it. And some professor is anti-Liberty. This is evidence that humans came from apes. This has nothing to do with intelligence - except their voices make them sound educated. I'm simply supposed to take them at their word and believe what they say, and fall in line - yeah, right.

Old 10-18-2012, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryj View Post
Evolution is nothing more than the ability to adapt. When conditions in the enviroment change either a species will adapt or it will go extinct, it's that simple. Sometimes a mutation will occure, if that mutation has positive affects the mutation will be passed down to future generations, such as an opposable thumb, and if the mutation becomes a detriment then the animal, plant or what have you will not survive, the mutation stops.

We see evolution taking place even in our life time, a 100 years ago the average height of a male was 5'6" and people on the average to 60 years old. Today the average height of a male is 6' and our life has been extended to about 75 years. This is adaptation based on our enviroment, also called evolution. This is the definition that Darwin was talking about, the adaption of species through natural selection.
Adaption and mutation is not evolution into a different species.

Old 10-18-2012, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Adaption and mutation is not evolution into a different species.
Yes, it is. Adaptation and mutations are the cornerstones of evolution. If you believe in adaptation, then you believe in evolution too. Not only do species adapt to their environment (in small and sometimes BIG ways), but those changes actually have a measurable affect on future generations. Expand that by millions of years and you can see how these small changes can have huge implications... yes, into different species... you are using the terms species as some sort of classification system that you think cannot be changed, but the word itself is a relatively new and constantly being updated as new animals are discovered. You think apes and humans are different species because you happen to be one of them (not sure which!), but if someone told you that bottle-nose dolphins and spotted porpoises are different "species", you would say they are essentially the same. What's with the white woman comment? Is it a race thing with you? And where in the world did you get the "anti-liberty" crap?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity