Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 10:02 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,716,705 times

Advertisements

A few months ago I started a thread on how the soul works. I have another deep probing question for you all to ponder. I so appreciate you all and enjoy learning from your insights!!

Where does the soul come from (what is it's origin).

What is the soul?

Is there a difference between soul and spirit? Please explain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2007, 06:43 PM

7,995 posts, read 12,268,016 times
Default The soul of zen koans

I'll have to give this one a bit more thought before attempting an answer...

--June is still pondering "hearing the music but denying the band."

Take gentle care.

Old 10-09-2007, 07:08 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,498,990 times
I know that the Jws believe that the soul is simply your body..Actually I too will think about the difference, if there is one, and post later

Old 10-09-2007, 07:11 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,571,369 times
We are a spirit being,we live in a bodyand possess a soul

The real person inside of us is our spirit. Our soul consists of our mind,will and emotions

Old 10-09-2007, 07:37 PM

7,995 posts, read 12,268,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post

The real person inside of us is our spirit. Our soul consists of our mind,will and emotions
That's interesting, noland... I was more inclined, however, to think the reverse:

That the "real" person, the "true self" = soul. And that our spirit consists of our mind and emotions...

(But I'm still thinking...)

Old 10-09-2007, 07:38 PM

14,863 posts, read 17,139,286 times
Hi, I am still researching, studying, and praying about this but I believe that the spirit is the nonphysical part of man. It returns to God upon death. When it is combined with the brain then there is consciousness but when we die the spirit returns to God and it is unconscious because there is no body for it to interact with. It is related to the word that means breath or wind. The soul on the other hand consists of the nature, personality, thoughts, emotions, temperament of the person. It is the person but when we die, it also dies, and no longer exists. When God created Adam, he breathed into his nostrils the breath of life and man became a living being or living soul.

Old 10-09-2007, 07:54 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,571,369 times
The difference between spirit salvation and soul salvation is the difference between grace and works

The spirit is saved by Jesus Christ ,while the soul is saved by faithfulness to Jesus Christ.

Old 10-10-2007, 02:12 PM

14,953 posts, read 9,787,725 times
Default I do have a soul........

Soul: my mind or being: me or as a pronoun "My Soul", as if to say my name, but apart from my natural self.

Proverbs uses a reference to kidneys, meaning the "inner most part". My soul also gives, (in "context"), the impression of having senses... my soul hears, my soul sings, my soul sees so Biblical reference can present the soul as an inner entity have distinct abilities apart from our natural bodies. In addition our souls often are referenced as having intellectual capacity. Often the soul is seeking and searching apart from the natural man, and the directions the natural man would go. The Bibles also tells us how differently the soul processes what it 'sees" what it "hears", by having joy, tears, and sadness.
Jer 29:13 When you seek me in prayer and worship, you will find me available to you. If you seek me with all your heart and soul

Interestingly... the heart, and the soul are often found collaborating, and then again, at odds. Heart and soul lyrics are contemporary themes for songs and poems, and reflect this inner relationship. This relationship suggests a struggle which manifests in us by what would destroy the natural (death) and possibly the soul.
Mat 10:28 Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Instead, fear the one who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

This scriptural passage speaks of the eternal struggle with satan. It is no doubt that satan's purpose is to destroy, and cares very little about your body. Satan may in fact use the "natural" man to do battle with the soul, by tormenting, (Lamentations) (Job) or causing great discomfort. Look at addictions... they are of the body, not of the soul, but they have such overwhelming control. Is it no wonder addictions are so rampant.

Now... in the NT we find a new relationship is established: Soul and Spirit
Heb 4:12 For the word of God is living and active and sharper than any double-edged sword, piercing even to the point of dividing soul from spirit, and joints from marrow; it is able to judge the desires and thoughts of the heart

I like to suggest the soul ,in the NT, has joined with the Holy Spirit. A cord of three strands is not easily broken. The heart, soul, Spirit. Which can be illustrated by the natural man, the mind, body and heart ..... and the soul , the original conduit to God set apart by sin which longs for the relationship with the Father, and the Spirit which is implanted in us the moment we are saved, and re-establishes that covenental relationship. The above scripture suggests that your soul could leave on it's "own" volition, if the words cut , and the soul does not want to join with the Spirit. This is how the body can influence the soul (addictions). The Spirit can not be destroyed, but Jesus tells us in Matthew 10:28 the body (heart) and the soul can.

Who are the most "soul filled": people? They are the Jews, incredibly passionate, loving, caring, compassionate, brave. The house of David who is the embodiment of the Jewish nation... from which Jesus came, God's chosen people, the children of Israel. I pray they find the Holy Spirit to renew their relationship with their Father who loves them so much, who will never abandon them.

It is a great day in Heaven when the heart surrenders to the soul... for the heart takes heed in the deeds of satan and the soul finds comfort in the hands of God.

Heb 6:19 We have this hope as an anchor for the soul, sure and steadfast, which reaches inside behind the curtain

Old 10-11-2007, 06:28 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,226,849 times
My conscience is my soul.
The moment I disregard my conscience is the moment that I have damned my soul.

Old 10-11-2007, 06:58 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,877,261 times
No such thing as a soul. I believe when you die, that's it, lights out, nothingness. I don't believe in an afterlife therefore no soul.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity