Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 08:00 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,887,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
What if that 10% exceeds what I can give? Am I to tell my child

"Ohh. I know you are hungry and I gave 10% of our money to the church (even though I couldn't handle 10%).. but don't worry. I gave 10% so we'll be o.k."
Yes, you are.

I might not say it quite like that but I think you could rephrase that to say:

"Oh, I know you are hungry, but God tells us He will provide for us. As your Father, I'm teaching you to Trust God and as God's child, He's teaching me to trust Him. We're in this together. And God will never desert us."

Your call on how you want to word it...if it ever applied. I doubt that truly applies to you, but since you brought it up, if you are in need let us know. As God's family, maybe more than one of us could be that 'unexpected check in the mail' arguy was talking about and then you could say:

"See how faithful God is."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2007, 08:04 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,269,800 times
Quote:
What if that 10% exceeds what I can give? Am I to tell my child

"Ohh. I know you are hungry and I gave 10% of our money to the church (even though I couldn't handle 10%).. but don't worry. I gave 10% so we'll be o.k."
Well that's always the big question. I can only tell you that my husband and I made a decision many years ago to tithe. During the time, I stayed home for a number of years with our child and money was often very, very tight. Did I tell you that it was VERY tight? Well, if not, let me say it again, it was VERY tight. But I can also tell you that we always managed to have a pretty decent place to live and food on the table. (even when my husband was unemployed for several months.)

One time due to some unusual circumstances we were really having some financial difficulties. That morning I prayed before I went to work, "Lord I think if we just had an extra $600 we would be all right." That night when I got home my husband was already there and he was very excited. Our home Bible study group from church had brought over groceries and about 5 separate checks from different families totaling $600 exactly! (Only God could have known the exact amount I asked Him for that morning.) We certainly hadn't asked our group for money but they knew we were struggling. This was just an example of the various ways that God provided when it seemed there was no way.

Old 10-09-2007, 08:07 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,184,501 times
Of course, it boils down to whether you believe the bible is a hard and fast rule book or just a guide, translatted by man to serve the early church's purpose.

A tithe out of a Social Security check would be a big hunk. They usually have already cut expense like food and medicines down to the bone.

Old 10-09-2007, 08:09 AM

4,440 posts, read 9,070,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Well that's always the big question. I can only tell you that my husband and I made a decision many years ago to tithe. During the time, I stayed home for a number of years with our child and money was often very, very tight. Did I tell you that it was VERY tight? Well, if not, let me say it again, it was VERY tight. But I can also tell you that we always managed to have a pretty decent place to live and food on the table. (even when my husband was unemployed for several months.)

One time due to some unusual circumstances we were really having some financial difficulties. That morning I prayed before I went to work, "Lord I think if we just had an extra $600 we would be all right." That night when I got home my husband was already there and he was very excited. Our home Bible study group from church had brought over groceries and about 5 separate checks from different families totaling $600 exactly! We certainly hadn't asked them for money but they knew we were struggling. This was just an example of the various ways that God provided when it seemed there was no way.
I agree with you that its important. I don't do 10% I just don't understand why it should go through a middleman. For instance, you gave money to the church over the years and then when you needed it you received some in return.

What if you had invested that money over the years and had gotten a good rate of return and then you could have given even more to the church.

Old 10-09-2007, 08:11 AM

3,086 posts, read 6,272,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post

One time due to some unusual circumstances we were really having some financial difficulties. That morning I prayed before I went to work, "Lord I think if we just had an extra $600 we would be all right." That night when I got home my husband was already there and he was very excited. Our home Bible study group from church had brought over groceries and about 5 separate checks from different families totaling $600 exactly! (Only God could have known the exact amount I asked Him for that morning.) We certainly hadn't asked our group for money but they knew we were struggling. This was just an example of the various ways that God provided when it seemed there was no way.
Wonderful testimony, kaykay! (can't rep) God is good.

Old 10-09-2007, 08:12 AM

3,086 posts, read 6,272,535 times
Quote:
What if you had invested that money over the years and had gotten a good rate of return and then you could have given even more to the church.
No, instead of giving it to the church then, you should do some more investing, and then on those returns do some more investing so that SOME TIME you can give a big hunk of money to the church (quick before you die).

Old 10-09-2007, 08:20 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,269,800 times
Quote:
I agree with you that its important. I don't do 10% I just don't understand why it should go through a middleman. For instance, you gave money to the church over the years and then when you needed it you received some in return.

Well, I could play "what if" all day, but we did what we felt God has commanded us to do in scripture. I believe tithing is His plan. I don't think I have the liberty to "reason" out something else. After tithing, one can possibly look into investments etc. IMO.

Last edited by kaykay; 10-09-2007 at 08:31 AM.. Reason: add a sentence

Old 10-09-2007, 08:35 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,744,970 times
Malachi 3:8-11 “Will a man rob God? Yet you have robbed Me! But you say, In what way have we robbed You? In tithes and offerings.
(9) You are cursed with a curse, For you have robbed Me, Even this whole nation.
(10) Bring all the tithes into the storehouse, That there may be food in My house, And try Me now in this, Says the LORD of hosts, If I will not open for you the windows of heaven And pour out for you such blessing That there will not be room enough to receive it.
(11) And I will rebuke the devourer for your sakes, So that he will not destroy the fruit of your ground, Nor shall the vine fail to bear fruit for you in the field, Says the LORD of hosts;”.....Im about 99 % sure this is the only time God says.."test me on this"

Old 10-09-2007, 08:36 AM

4,440 posts, read 9,070,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg81 View Post
No, instead of giving it to the church then, you should do some more investing, and then on those returns do some more investing so that SOME TIME you can give a big hunk of money to the church (quick before you die).
I didn't say don't give to the church..

I simply don't understand this theory:

The church handles the money I earn better than I do (which I simply DO NOT believe). So I'll give them money to the point money is "tight" in my family. I'll then pray that the good Lord above gives some back.

I give and have no problem giving. However, I feel I'm much more prepared to handle money flowing through my household than the church ever will be.

But thats just my opinion. I say give it all away if you want to..

Also.. is the 10% rule in the OT or the NT?

Old 10-09-2007, 08:46 AM

2,886 posts, read 8,282,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
Is the lack of tithing or not giving at least 10% of our earnings robbing God. Aren't we taking from God,which is already His?
Yes!!............................................. .................................................. ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity