Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How should we view the bible?
As the inerrant, perfectly preserved word of God and our final authority on everything. 20 37.04%
A document written by men inspired by God to give His dealing with men and what he wants men to do. 15 27.78%
Written by men, not always accurate or relevant to us today. 7 12.96%
A good read and includes some suggestions men got from God. 1 1.85%
Man's attempt to have a higher power and explain it. 5 9.26%
Fiction 6 11.11%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 08:51 PM

33,230 posts, read 26,447,455 times

Advertisements

[quote=Jerwade;26596729]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555
Jesus always appealed to the Scriptures as the final authority.
Quote:
Incorrect, for the term always, implies that he did not address the Father directly.
However, he did appeal to the Scriptures addressing that which men had written.
The fact that Jesus appealed to the Scriptures as the final authority does not imply that He did not address the Father directly. The Scriptures are the word of God. They originate from the ultimate source of God.

When tempted by Satan in the desert, Jesus used scripture to counter Satan's temptations. He said, 'It is written.'

Matthew 4:4 But He answered and said, "It is written, 'man shall not live on bread alone, but on every word that proceeds out of the mouth of God." This was a quotation of Deuteronomy 8:3.

Matthew 4:7 Jesus said to him, "On the other hand, it is written, "You shall not put the Lord your God to the test." This is from Deuteronomy 6:16.

Matthew 4:10 Then Jesus said to him, "Go, Satan! For it is written, 'You shall worship the Lord your God, and serve Him only." ' This is from Deuteronomy 6:13.

In refuting the errors of the Sadducees, Jesus appealed to the authority of Scripture.

Matthew 22:29 But Jesus answered and said to them, "You are mistaken, not understanding the Scriptures nor the power of God.

In His high priestly prayer (addressing the Father directly), Jesus prayed the following;

John 17:17 "Sanctify them in the truth; Your word is truth." Truth is communicated in God's word. God is truth, His communicated word is truth. Therefore, the word of truth (2 Tim. 2:15) is the final authority.

To reject the authority of the Scriptures is to reject the authority of God. His commands, and what He has revealed of Himself and His plan are set down and preserved in the Scriptures.

People who profess to be believers in Jesus Christ, but who reject the authority of the Scriptures, denying that the Bible is the written word of God, do so in order to justify to themselves their rejection of those parts of the Bible that they don't like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2012, 12:05 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,493,260 times
[quote=Mike555;26598407]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
[i]

John 17:17 "Sanctify them in the truth; Your word is truth." Truth is communicated in God's word. God is truth, His communicated word is truth. Therefore, the word of truth (2 Tim. 2:15) is the final authority.

To reject the authority of the Scriptures is to reject the authority of God. His commands, and what He has revealed of Himself and His plan are set down and preserved in the Scriptures.

People who profess to be believers in Jesus Christ, but who reject the authority of the Scriptures, denying that the Bible is the written word of God, do so in order to justify to themselves their rejection of those parts of the Bible that they don't like.
Agreed.

Old 10-21-2012, 01:39 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,360,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
"Father, I thank you for having heard me. I know that you always hear me, but I have said this for the sake of those standing here, so that they may believe that you sent me."

So, you are telling me that the Bible raised Lazarus from the dead; not the living word of God?
And, who was it that said: "I am the way, the truth and the life."
Was it not Christ, himself?
It’s not the Scriptures I discount, it’s your understanding of them. For is it not you, who reject the salvation of all humanity?

Old 10-21-2012, 01:56 AM

2 Timothy 2:15
Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved; a worker who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly handles the word of truth.

Old 10-21-2012, 04:27 AM

Quote:
"Father, I thank you for having heard me. I know that you always hear me, but I have said this for the sake of those standing here, so that they may believe that you sent me."

So, you are telling me that the Bible raised Lazarus from the dead; not the living word of God?
And, who was it that said: "I am the way, the truth and the life."
Was it not Christ, himself?
It’s not the Scriptures I discount, it’s your understanding of them. For is it not you, who reject the salvation of all humanity?
I am telling you that what God has communicated to man through His written word is the ultimate authority in life. What God communicates to man has authority. He has recorded in writing that which He expects man to learn and to obey. The apostle John used the phrase 'the word of God' both for Jesus Christ and for the Scriptures. You have been shown that Jesus used the Scriptures to settle a matter. With reference to the Scriptures, He said, 'It is written,' and 'Have you not read.' What God says settles a matter. What God has said is in writing and bears the authority of God.

Salvation is available to all because Jesus Christ died as a substitute for all, but it is obtained only by those who believe on Jesus Christ for eternal life. To believe on Jesus Christ means that you must recognize that you are a sinner under condemnation and unable to save yourself. And therefore, Jesus Christ, the Son of God (that is a title for the deity of Jesus Christ), came into the world to die for your sins. And understanding that, to trust in Him completely for your salvation. The Bible does not teach that all men will be saved. It very clearly teaches that many will be eternally lost.

Old 10-21-2012, 12:20 PM

Quote:
I am telling you that what God has communicated to man through His written word is the ultimate authority in life. What God communicates to man has authority. He has recorded in writing that which He expects man to learn and to obey. The apostle John used the phrase 'the word of God' both for Jesus Christ and for the Scriptures. You have been shown that Jesus used the Scriptures to settle a matter. With reference to the Scriptures, He said, 'It is written,' and 'Have you not read.' What God says settles a matter. What God has said is in writing and bears the authority of God.
You have heard that it was said, 'YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR and hate your enemy.' But I say to you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, so that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven; for He causes His sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous.

You have heard that it was said, 'YOU SHALL NOT COMMIT ADULTERY'; but I say to you that everyone who looks at a woman with lust for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart.

You have heard that the ancients were told
, 'YOU SHALL NOT COMMIT MURDER ' and 'Whoever commits murder shall be liable to the court.' But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother shall be guilty before the court; and whoever says to his brother, 'You good-for-nothing,' shall be guilty before the supreme court; and whoever says, 'You fool,' shall be guilty enough to go into the fiery hell.

"Salt burns the wounds of misunderstanding, but it also preserves."

Quote:
Salvation is available to all because Jesus Christ died as a substitute for all, but it is obtained only by those who believe on Jesus Christ for eternal life. To believe on Jesus Christ means that you must recognize that you are a sinner under condemnation and unable to save yourself. And therefore, Jesus Christ, the Son of God (that is a title for the deity of Jesus Christ), came into the world to die for your sins. And understanding that, to trust in Him completely for your salvation. The Bible does not teach that all men will be saved. It very clearly teaches that many will be eternally lost.
Conjecture, for if it was clearly taught, then there would not be those who see it differently.

Old 10-21-2012, 01:41 PM

467 posts, read 664,945 times
That it documents the various dispensations God has had for man since the beginning, or at least since the Mosaic era.

Old 10-21-2012, 02:02 PM

Quote:
You have heard that it was said, 'YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR and hate your enemy.' But I say to you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, so that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven; for He causes His sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous.

You have heard that it was said, 'YOU SHALL NOT COMMIT ADULTERY'; but I say to you that everyone who looks at a woman with lust for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart.

You have heard that the ancients were told
, 'YOU SHALL NOT COMMIT MURDER ' and 'Whoever commits murder shall be liable to the court.' But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother shall be guilty before the court; and whoever says to his brother, 'You good-for-nothing,' shall be guilty before the supreme court; and whoever says, 'You fool,' shall be guilty enough to go into the fiery hell.

"Salt burns the wounds of misunderstanding, but it also preserves."
Jesus wasn't refuting the Scriptures. He was refuting the Pharisees improper teaching of the Scriptures.

Quote:
Conjecture, for if it was clearly taught, then there would not be those who see it differently.
To the contrary. The Scriptures do indeed clearly teach that many will be lost. Scriptures which speak to that fact have been given over and over on this forum, and you know what they are. But there are many who reject, and who refuse to believe those parts of the Bible which they do not like, while accepting only what seems right to them. Such people are in rebellion against the truth.

Old 10-21-2012, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Jesus wasn't refuting the Scriptures. He was refuting the Pharisees improper teaching of the Scriptures.
Man cannot comprehend the existence of his own errors, when to deeply immersed in them.

Quote:
To the contrary. The Scriptures do indeed clearly teach that many will be lost. Scriptures which speak to that fact have been given over and over on this forum, and you know what they are. But there are many who reject, and who refuse to believe those parts of the Bible which they do not like, while accepting only what seems right to them. Such people are in rebellion against the truth.
Actually, they teach that ALL have gone astray.
But he came to seek and save that which was lost.

Old 10-21-2012, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Man cannot comprehend the existence of his own errors, when to deeply immersed in them.

You are speaking of yourself and those like you.

Quote:
Actually, they teach that ALL have gone astray.
But he came to seek and save that which was lost.
The Bible teaches that all men are born spiritually dead and under condemnation. It teaches that those who die without coming to Christ for eternal life will be eternally separated from God in the lake of fire (2 Thess. 1:8-9).

You are in rebellion against the truth.

And that is my final comment to you at this time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity