Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 11:41 AM

1,250 posts, read 3,501,599 times

Advertisements

This was a major issue between my husband and I when we first got married. I never had a problem with halloween, I didn't go overboard, and I never dressed up as anything scary. My husband, however, viewed it completely different.

There was a guy who grew up in my husband's church and as a teen, he got really involved into the occult and satanic rituals. The group he hung out with really got into the pagan rutuals that surround the history of halloween. Then after a few years, this guy got saved and spoke to the church about what goes on on Halloween and because of that, my husband and his family are very much against the holiday.

I understand where my husband is coming from, but I also see the innocent side of things. We finally came to a compromise and allow our children to dress up as non-scary things and take them to the carnival at our church. My kids come home with just as much candy as if they had gone trick-or-treating, so I don't think they are suffering. Besides, they've never known anything different.

As for decorations, I honor my husband's desires and do not decorate our house with any jack-o-lanterns or anything for halloween. The only decorations that go up on my home are autumn ones (un-carved pumpkins, scarecrows, hay, etc.).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2007, 11:53 AM

4,440 posts, read 9,070,300 times
I guess I still don't see it. I don't view it as enriching the occult. Far from it. I view it as a chance to get out.. meet my neighbors and have fun with the kid(s).

Old 10-09-2007, 11:58 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,269,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrex62 View Post
I have to say that I never saw the association with Halloween and the distant pagan rituals they were derived from. Intellectually I am aware of the origins, but the modern symbolism is vastly separate to the point that those associations are no longer relevant. Just as Christmas is not relevant to it's original pagan ceremonies or consistent with the time that Jesus would have likely been born.

The symbolism we assign is all that really matters to the meaning of the event. I celebrate Halloween as a symbol of childhood innocence and the desire to play scary games safely. The candy, the door greeting is all from a bygone era of innocent fun and represent a time and place for safe pranks (actual or imagined).

Even as a small child I knew nobody really thought I was a werewolf, but i enjoyed pretending I was and trying to scare people. They acted scared to pretend along with me and to enjoy the fun. Only an adult will understand the origins of the celebration and bring those obsolete associations to the day. If we let them die, then one day nobody will make those associations. We keep them alive with out protests and marketing of the past.
Just a note since I did express that my husband and I do not celebrate halloween. Our objections never included the "origins" of the day although some people do object to it on that basis. Many of our holidays including Christmas supposedly have some pagan origins, but they do not have this signifcance in our society now. My husband and I object to halloween based on the fact that halloween still largely exalts fear and evil. Like with many issues which are not clearly addressed in scripture, I recognize that many Christians feel differently about it and that's their perogative, but my husband and I have always been in total agreement not to celebrate it. For us, the issue is clear.

Last edited by kaykay; 10-09-2007 at 12:08 PM..

Old 10-09-2007, 12:03 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,184,501 times
I can't see much difference in Halloween and dressing up and getting candy
Or the Easter Bunny and dressing up to go to church and getting candy.
Or Santa Claus, dressing up a tree. wrapping presents and getting candy.

Or maybe just the Tooth Fairy and getting money to spend on Candy.

Candy.

Old 10-09-2007, 12:23 PM

292 posts, read 934,054 times
Talking This is interesting...

When our kids were young we'd take them trick or treating. But then we started attending an evangelistic church after I got baptised in the Holy Spirit. They had something alternative for the kids at that church.
After our kids all moved away from home, my husband and I just stand in agreement not to celebrate it.
I really dislike halloween stuff. I do decorate...but for harvest, not halloween.
This morning during my early morning walk I walked past some peoples house where they had the creepiest huge black pictures of things like skulls, witches, etc. It really creeped me out.
I've seen and heard enough of real life terrors and don't like to be scared! Actually the bible even says, " For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power and of love and of a sound mind." 2 Timothy 1:7
If God did not give us the spirit of fear, hmmmm, where does it come from?
Even as a kid when I dressed up like a princess, you can bet I was scared going out trick or treating! Lots is geared towards being spooky and scarey.
Nope. We won't be celebrating halloween. No thank you. But not judging those that want to take their kids out for it. It's tough knowing the right thing to do.
God bless!
Jean

Old 10-09-2007, 12:36 PM

193 posts, read 1,028,110 times
I have thought about this alot lately. I always dressed up as a child and loved going trick-or-treating, but I have noticed the last several years that less and less kids are doing it. I know alot of churches do different evens (which I think is great). My kids have gone door to door over the years. I don't like the scarey or bloody outfits but I love to see the little pooh costumes and such. I think your kids make of it what the parents do. I have always made it a fun non-scary event that my kids enjoy and if we see a "real scary" house then we just don't go there. I think that you can make it an evil and devilish event if you wanted to but we choose to celebrate it in a different light. Kind of like New Years Eve. We love to stay up late with the kids and have pizza and play games but we know alot of people who like to stay up late and get drunk. If you teach your kids its about ghosts and evil spirits that is what they will get out of it.
Just my opinion though. I still respect others who choose not to do anything on halloween.

Old 10-09-2007, 12:39 PM

3,434 posts, read 9,744,970 times
now i got that song stuck in my head....8 more days to Halloween, halloween, 8 more days to halloween...

I still like to dress up...heres me from last year...at halloween

ps..no those arent my real teeth..nor do i have purple hair..but I sure embarresed my kids..hahaha

Old 10-09-2007, 01:18 PM

7,996 posts, read 12,275,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
now i got that song stuck in my head....8 more days to Halloween, halloween, 8 more days to halloween...

I still like to dress up...heres me from last year...at halloween

ps..no those arent my real teeth..nor do i have purple hair..but I sure embarresed my kids..hahaha
Arguy! I hardly knew yea, outside of those khaki's you were wearing in your other photos!

Take gentle care!

Old 10-09-2007, 01:27 PM

3,434 posts, read 9,744,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
Arguy! I hardly knew yea, outside of those khaki's you were wearing in your other photos!

Take gentle care!
lol its because i got my bubba teeth in lol

Old 10-09-2007, 01:35 PM

7,996 posts, read 12,275,281 times
Default All Soul's Night

This is a really interesting thread for me. Growing up in New England, Halloween has forever and always been one of my favorite holidays. It's the visceral associations of the smell of leaves, pumpkins, and the cool air of Autumn. As a child, it was something magical. (And I suspect, truth be told, the child in me continues to want to find it so!)

Occassionally, this time of year, those of us in Massachusetts will hear reports of some schools wishing to alter Halloween customs and parties within a given school due to religious reasons or objections. At the same time, Salem comes alive and many enjoy the mass celebrations! There is a very real "cultural" (religious) aspect or component, I think, in how the day is viewed, and as such those views should be respected.

I can better understand after reading this thread how people's perspectives on Halloween differ. I can better understand the nature of why others view the day differently than I.

--And for that, I thank you.

Take gentle care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity