U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-11-2007, 04:13 PM
 
2,955 posts, read 4,995,141 times
Reputation: 1868

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dojilynn View Post
I don't hand out candy, but not because I'm a scrooge, it's just because I'm not home. We are at the church for the carnival that we put on for the kids. By the time we get home, there's not usually any more kids coming by.
I'm certain that most people who don't give out candy are not Scrooges at heart - but dark, unwelcoming houses on Halloween night sure make it look that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-11-2007, 04:31 PM
 
Location: Plano, Texas
8,640 posts, read 14,780,597 times
Reputation: 21135
Quote:
Originally Posted by b. frank View Post
I'm certain that most people who don't give out candy are not Scrooges at heart - but dark, unwelcoming houses on Halloween night sure make it look that way.
In our community probably at least half the houses do not hand out candy for various reasons. One very common reason is the one dojilynn said, many parents are gone taking thier children to some type of event. Some neighborhoods don't see many children come by anymore because parents feel it's not safe to go to houses they don't know. Our neighborhood actually does see a lot of children come by. The year we handed out candy (with the children's tract!) we probably had about 120 kids come to the door. We had to go to the store and buy more candy TWICE! (maybe I was too generous!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2007, 04:49 PM
 
2,955 posts, read 4,995,141 times
Reputation: 1868
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
In our community probably at least half the houses do not hand out candy for various reasons. One very common reason is the one dojilynn said, many parents are gone taking thier children to some type of event. Some neighborhoods don't see many children come by anymore because parents feel it's not safe to go to houses they don't know. Our neighborhood actually does see a lot of children come by. The year we handed out candy (with the children's tract!) we probably had about 120 kids come to the door. We had to go to the store and buy more candy TWICE! (maybe I was too generous!)
It's more and more common for people to not give out candy, for various reasons. I think it's sad. It's one of the few community bonding rituals that I enjoyed as a child.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2007, 05:06 PM
 
Location: Highland Village
1,430 posts, read 2,635,768 times
Reputation: 973
It is community bonding! In our last house, our whole neighborhood was outside. It was the best way to meet neighbors. As we are in a new neighborhood again this year, I sure hope it is the same here. Its nice to know your neighbors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2007, 06:04 PM
 
383 posts, read 772,178 times
Reputation: 168
Halloween is a time to make fun of evil, not be a part of it. How many evil kids do you see running around halloween with their scary masks, vandalizing things and hurting people?

No, they run around in their masks asking for candy. There is nothing evil about it. In my family we think of halloween as a means of making fun of the devil, not celebrating the devil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2007, 05:39 PM
 
2,955 posts, read 4,995,141 times
Reputation: 1868
Quote:
Originally Posted by jak88 View Post
In my family we think of halloween as a means of making fun of the devil, not celebrating the devil.
That's a very interesting perspective.
"To Hell With the Devil" as Stryper said in the 80s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2007, 11:27 AM
 
Location: N.Y.C.
657 posts, read 1,716,750 times
Reputation: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by little_thirsty View Post
It is the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown and they still play it on Halloween! LOVE IT. LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT!
i also love the christmas one and the valentines day one
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2007, 11:31 AM
 
Location: N.Y.C.
657 posts, read 1,716,750 times
Reputation: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
In our community probably at least half the houses do not hand out candy for various reasons. One very common reason is the one dojilynn said, many parents are gone taking thier children to some type of event. Some neighborhoods don't see many children come by anymore because parents feel it's not safe to go to houses they don't know. Our neighborhood actually does see a lot of children come by. The year we handed out candy (with the children's tract!) we probably had about 120 kids come to the door. We had to go to the store and buy more candy TWICE! (maybe I was too generous!)
thats so stupid yeah theres bad ppl out there and everything but thats why you go with your child trick or treating to make sure nothing bad happens i really dont think mr.pedophile is going to try something with a parent there
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2007, 11:35 AM
 
16,005 posts, read 26,121,774 times
Reputation: 5950
Quote:
Originally Posted by jak88 View Post
Halloween is a time to make fun of evil, not be a part of it. How many evil kids do you see running around halloween with their scary masks, vandalizing things and hurting people?

No, they run around in their masks asking for candy. There is nothing evil about it. In my family we think of halloween as a means of making fun of the devil, not celebrating the devil.
Thank You! Why are people so insecure in their Faith to think dressing like witch, rubbing shoulders with others in public school or watching Brokeback Mountain will somehow suddenly convert their kids into somebody else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2007, 11:48 AM
 
12,398 posts, read 15,045,437 times
Reputation: 14619
Happy halloween...Just a fun time for us, nothing scary, mostly fall decorations...I did think this witch was cute...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top