Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 02:04 PM

1,439 posts, read 3,883,847 times

Advertisements

I have a feeling Halloween would not be a dentists' favorite holiday! Funny what you remember, I could even point out the house on the street. So funny! I know we went there every year. As a diabetic I kinda liked it......I know I am strange.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2007, 02:08 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,069,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little_thirsty View Post
I have a feeling Halloween would not be a dentists' favorite holiday! Funny what you remember, I could even point out the house on the street. So funny! I know we went there every year. As a diabetic I kinda liked it......I know I am strange.
You kidding me.. Dentists have $ signs dancing in their heads because of Halloween!

Old 10-10-2007, 02:10 PM

1,439 posts, read 3,883,847 times
Hmmmm....maybe it is there favorite.....never thought of it that way. I bet the tooth fairy has double duty after all that candy!

Old 10-10-2007, 02:24 PM

660 posts, read 2,441,052 times
i'm a huge fan of halloween ,scary stories,movies but i would draw the line at the ouija board that thing seems creepy
i definitly pass out candy even though not to many kids trick or treat in our building they would rather go to a deli (oh well more candy for me lol)
in another year i will finally be able to take my daughter around and i cant wait

Old 10-10-2007, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by little_thirsty View Post
i read in parents magazine that its better for a childs teeth to eat as much candy in one night instead of a couple of pieces every night

Old 10-10-2007, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
We go all out decorating the house...including a trip to the farm to pick out the perfect pumkins to carve, we carve them on the night before Halloween...because they will rot too fast to put the candles in if you don't...we have purple lights instead of our normal porch lights...and in we string all sorts of skeletons, spider webs, bats and assorted pumkin, Frankenstein and ghost lights (like Christmas lights only Halloween themed) all over the porch and windows. We hang "ghosts" from the trees (actually tissue paper cut outs I make with the kids), and stuff pumkin lawn bags with leaves...pretty much anything I can think of. Our house is often photographed for the local paper and people honk as they drive by on Halloween night...all fun. Unlike all the other days of the year my little guy is in costume (which is most of them) we ALL dress up, even the dogs that will tolerate it and they get to go out at night, meet the neighbors, get candy and then come home to tell all that they saw on the way. All fun,...just plain fun.
that sounds like so much fun

Old 10-10-2007, 02:32 PM

1,250 posts, read 3,501,188 times
I don't hand out candy, but not because I'm a scrooge, it's just because I'm not home. We are at the church for the carnival that we put on for the kids. By the time we get home, there's not usually any more kids coming by.

Old 10-10-2007, 02:55 PM

24,510 posts, read 33,305,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baby_firefly View Post
i'm a huge fan of halloween ,scary stories,movies but i would draw the line at the ouija board that thing seems creepy
i definitly pass out candy even though not to many kids trick or treat in our building they would rather go to a deli (oh well more candy for me lol)
in another year i will finally be able to take my daughter around and i cant wait
Me, too. I am a huge Halloween fan, but I don't take it too seriously (except when I'm decorating).
Halloween is NOT about witches, evil spirits or the devil. It actually began as a religious holiday in Ireland.

As for why it's popular for many people, that is well-explained in this 2005 newspaper article:
"I think people like it because it's fun- and they enjoy being scared. But it's done in a safe way so that they know they'll walk away unscathed. There's a sense of freedom to Halloween that attracts both young and old. You can be an adult or a child and enjoy Halloween. You don't need a significant other. There aren't any strings attached to Halloween. It's just a whimsical holiday where people can really let go and have fun."

I also like Halloween because I like to see well-done yard haunts and try to figure out how the spooky effects are done.
Check the link below to see how a yard haunt should be done. No people jumping out from behind a bush or body parts thrown on a lawn- that is not Halloween, that is more like horror-movie stuff.
Hallowed Haunting Grounds
(Click the "images" page)

Old 10-10-2007, 03:55 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,718,827 times
Since we're super religious holy rollers we go into the streets and start preachin' to the kids and parents...specially the ones in scary costumes! You know how those religious folk are! Seriously, no we do not give out candy anymore. We have no control over what other parents allow their kids to dress up in, and while my kids LOVE to give out the candy, I've had one too many instances where a kid will have a scary mask that freaks my kids out so much they won't go to sleep and/or begin crying right there at the door. So the lights are out and we simply do not answer the door. It amazes me how bent out of shape people get if a house chooses not to give out candy.

Old 10-10-2007, 03:59 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,069,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier_guy View Post
Since we're super religious holy rollers we go into the streets and start preachin' to the kids and parents...specially the ones in scary costumes! You know how those religious folk are! Seriously, no we do not give out candy anymore. We have no control over what other parents allow their kids to dress up in, and while my kids LOVE to give out the candy, I've had one too many instances where a kid will have a scary mask that freaks my kids out so much they won't go to sleep and/or begin crying right there at the door. So the lights are out and we simply do not answer the door. It amazes me how bent out of shape people get if a house chooses not to give out candy.
Are you talking about people in your neighborhood getting bent out of shape or people on this board getting bent out of shape?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity