Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 12:47 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,571,881 times

Advertisements

Wouldn't we be better off without distractions of the world? America is blessed with everything that we need just at our finger tips.We have cell phones,video games, movie videos,television, and so much more. Technology is big today and will keep getting bigger and better as time marches on.

Do you think all of this technology has steered us away from the Lord and the reading of His word?We are not focusing on the Lord as much as we should because we would rather watch a movie or play a video game instead of reading the Bible. Woulldn't we be better off with the Bible as the only source of entertainment and not all of this new technolgy? Are we truly putting God first in our lives or is it things of the world?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2007, 12:55 PM

292 posts, read 933,793 times
I sometimes think we'd be better off. I mainly only watch tv in the evenings to please my husband. BUT there are times, when the Lord speaks to me through the tv.
There is no limiting God. He can speak to us through anything and often does.
Myself, I have a better peace of mind the less I watch tv and the more time I have in the Word and also time in the presence of the Lord.
God bless!
Jean

Old 10-09-2007, 01:02 PM

3,434 posts, read 9,742,037 times
idk..if we didnt have technology we couldnt communicate with each other via the internet...like we are now...I think it depends on where our priorities are at..

Old 10-09-2007, 01:30 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,500,581 times
Actually, Noland I think, the internet has drawn me a little closer to God, because I spend a lot more time here fellowshipping with other christian/believers than I ordinarily would in the rw. Most people here know that I am almost deaf, but I can hear everyone loud and clear here, and no one rolls eyes behind my back, or thinks I am senile when I don't understand what they are saying. I can minister here without saying a word and I am ministered to here and never miss a word..

Old 10-09-2007, 01:36 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,067,185 times
My guess..

Technology increases efficiencies.. You have more time. Its how you use that time that is important.

For instance.. no longer do I have to pay bills with a check.. go and search for stamps.. write out the check etc etc. I do it online. Paying bills for me takes a little under 5 minutes. Thats extra time to play with my family or visit my online mistress (i.e. city-data).

I can't think of a more boring entertainment than reading the bible. I have never read it to be entertained. I have read it to try to understand certain aspects of it.. but it doesn't entertain me. Unless OT stories of men having 700 wives is entertaining..

Old 10-09-2007, 01:53 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,175,023 times
I raised my kids with no car, no TV, little money and nothing to do but stay in the house with the kids. Would I have been better off with the Internet and TV? You better believe it!!! The children would have too. They wouldn't have had a mommie whose mind was being turned to mush simply from lack of anything to do.

I have learned more from the History Channel than I ever did from History books in school. I have heard more interesting religious oriented research than I ever dreamed existed. The TV has spurred me to do research that I wouldn't have done otherwise. And the Internet provides a place to do that research when our library doesn't have the books I need.

However, I don't need a cell phone or all that other cute stuff that everyone has to have. I don't think they add anything other that convenience.

Old 10-09-2007, 02:36 PM

1,439 posts, read 3,882,949 times
I KNEW YOU WERE SECRETLY SEEING CITY-DATA BIG THIRSTY......

To answer the question.....
Sometimes yes and sometimes know. Technology has allowed me to live a better life via an insulin pump. But by the same token technology has taken so many of the personal face to face interactions with people. I think there is some good and some bad to technology. As far as to the relationship with God...it could help some say a blind person that know has a talking Bible.... And then I am sure it hinders some, such as addicts to websites....you know what I am talking about.......

Old 10-09-2007, 04:43 PM

14,867 posts, read 17,143,188 times
I guess it's all about how the technology is used. I am thankful for the Internet because having access to it has opened my eyes and mind to many things that I may not have been exposed without it. On the other hand my use of it can be abused just like any other thing. I am thankful that God opened the door for me to share some of my interests and beliefs with people of like mind on many Internet forums. Outside of this, these experiences would have been very limited. I do have to be careful on how much TV I watch though. Some of the shows can be addicting like Lifetime for me. My cell phone is good because I like to have it for emergencies since I travel the roads in the very early morning hours on the way to work!

Old 10-09-2007, 09:59 PM

3,927 posts, read 8,665,537 times
I find, the more I go into the Word, the less I want to watch tv or talk to my friends on the phone.

It is in the mindset I believe.

Having CD's with sermons and teaching material means so much to me. Why? Because when I go to Bible Study, we can and often do go very deep in the subject area we are working on, and having a CD to bring home on a difficult assingment can really bring clarity to things I am having trouble understanding.

I do watch a couple of t.v. ministers, and feel I would not have learned as much as I have if not for their broadcasts.

By having a cell phone, I can relax in the evenings and read my Bible, study for my Bible Class etc worry free when my children are away from home, I know if there is trouble, they will call, or if they want me, they will call; or I can call them, /

I hardly watch movies, has to be something really good to catch my attention, I have mostly stopped watching the news, who wants to hear everyone argue?

How can I be opposed to technology when it literally saved both my mother and step-father's life?

It is not the technology that we should be wary of, it is how we take this technology and use it in our everyday lives. All things can be turned into sin, if we allow it.

Old 10-10-2007, 08:42 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,175,023 times
It's too easy to blame our troubles on technology when in truth, the problems start with us. Us. We are to blame when we use those things that subtract from our lives to a point where it interfers with our emotional and spiritual growth. Excess is never a good thing.

The interactions between family and friends should come first. How we do it is not as important as wanting to have that interaction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity