Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 04:43 PM

1,341 posts, read 1,530,636 times

Advertisements

Kolob - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I've studied all the different religions on this planet. I've even read this before, but I can remember it.

This isn't to bash Mormons although I rejected their beliefs. I would like to give a fair chance for a Mormon here to explain this to us and tell us if the Wikipedia page is correct (not likely in my experience) which is why I'm asking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2012, 05:15 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowdog View Post
Kolob - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I've studied all the different religions on this planet. I've even read this before, but I can remember it.

This isn't to bash Mormons although I rejected their beliefs. I would like to give a fair chance for a Mormon here to explain this to us and tell us if the Wikipedia page is correct (not likely in my experience) which is why I'm asking.
Here's what we believe:

1. There is a God.
2. He lives in Heaven.
3. Heaven is a real place.
4. There are stars in the heavens and one of them is closer to where God is than the rest.
5. That star has a name -- Kolob -- by which it is referred to in the LDS volume of scripture, "The Pearl of Great Price."
6. We have no idea where Kolob might be and don't care.

Sorry the truth is so much less interesting than the embellished version. In my 64 years as a Mormon, I have never once heard a sermon or lesson centered around Kolob. As a matter of fact, I can't actually remember ever even hearing Kolob mentioned in Church, although it may have been once or twice in my life. We do have a hymn about Kolob; I've heard it sung perhaps a half dozen times (at the most) in my life.

Incidentally, Kolob Canyon, in Southern Utah, is pretty darned gorgeous, wouldn't you say?

Last edited by Katzpur; 10-21-2012 at 06:28 PM..

Old 10-21-2012, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Here's what we believe:

1. There is a God.
2. He lives in Heaven.
3. Heaven is a real place.
4. There are stars in the heavens and one of them is closer to where God is than the rest.
5. That star has a name -- Kolob -- by which it is referred to in the LDS "Pearl of Great Price."
6. We have no idea where Kolob might be and don't care.

Sorry the truth is so much less interesting than the embellished version. In my 64 years as a Mormon, I have never once heard a sermon or lesson centered around Kolob. As a matter of fact, I can't actually remember ever even hearing Kolob mentioned in Church, although it may have been once or twice in my life. We do have a hymn about Kolob; I've heard it sung perhaps a half dozen times (at the most) in my life.

Incidentally, Kolob Canyon, in Southern Utah, is pretty darned gorgeous, wouldn't you say?
1. Relax
2. Relax some more
3. I told you I'm not bashing you and I meant it (I know some others might)
4. Yes, that is a gorgeous canyon!
5. Thanks for your response!

Old 10-21-2012, 06:34 PM

Hey markymarc, are you Mormon or not? I'm just trying to understand this part of Mormon teaching. I really want to know what is wrong and what is right with the Wikipedia page. I know Wikipedia isn't the end of it, it's only a start for me as I will continue to look at this topic. I've got a copy of D&C around here somewhere, I guess I could find it and form my on opinion but I wanted Mormons to tell me in their own words how they view it. If it's not that important to them then that's fine but it's sometime that I am looking at right now.

People see my posts as harsh but I only try to be truthful. I am also direct with people which they seem to take as harsh or blunt ... I but really do just want to educate myself more. My beliefs would actually be accepted by no one here :-) So Catholics, Mormons, Jw's, and other will not see me jumping on them very often. It is my belief that we all have to make up our own minds about things.

I'll start another topic soon so people here can understand me better.

Old 10-21-2012, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowdog View Post
Hey markymarc, are you Mormon or not? I'm just trying to understand this part of Mormon teaching. I really want to know what is wrong and what is right with the Wikipedia page. I know Wikipedia isn't the end of it, it's only a start for me as I will continue to look at this topic. I've got a copy of D&C around here somewhere, I guess I could find it and form my on opinion but I wanted Mormons to tell me in their own words how they view it. If it's not that important to them then that's fine but it's sometime that I am looking at right now.
It's not in the D&C, cowdog. It's in The Pearl of Great Price. Here's a little bit more information on the subject. There isn't actually all that much information available, unless, of course, you want to check out the anti-Mormon sites where there's tons of creative speculation on it.

Last edited by Katzpur; 10-21-2012 at 07:01 PM..

Old 10-21-2012, 06:40 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Illustration of Kolob, by Joseph Smith

Old 10-21-2012, 06:44 PM

467 posts, read 664,945 times
God does not exclusively reside on a star called Kolob. Each one of us is God in embodiment due to having an I AM Presence:
I AM Presence Portrait

God is knowable and real, not a far off unknowable thing out there in space somewhere.

Old 10-21-2012, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Illustration of Kolob, by Joseph Smith
That's hilarious, Finn!!! I would have thought that Joseph Smith was a better artist than that. How old do you suppose he was when he drew that -- five or six maybe?

Old 10-21-2012, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markymarc View Post
God does not exclusively reside on a star called Kolob.
Duh. God doesn't reside on a star at all. He resides in Heaven (at least if you accept what the Bible has to say on the matter). How many times did Jesus refer to His Father as being "in Heaven"? Dozens.

Quote:
God is knowable and real, not a far off unknowable thing out there in space somewhere.
I agree that God is knowable and real.

Old 10-21-2012, 06:49 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
That's hilarious, Finn!!! I would have thought that Joseph Smith was a better artist than that. How old do you suppose he was when he drew that -- five or six maybe?
I am sure he was an adult when he drew it. I got it from the OP link BTW.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity