Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 05:42 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,969,381 times

Advertisements

The apostle Paul said that "for us there is one God, the Father and one Lord, Jesus Christ. But not in all is there this knowledge."
Paul never knew of a trinity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2012, 05:45 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,293,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garya123 View Post
Because Jesus opened the door to the Fathers House by His Atonement we now know God as a Father. We can now pray directly to the Father. But also as Jesus said and I have no doubts that it is to remind us of what He did for us and as a witness to the world as to how to know the Father, that we at times should do as He said and "Ask in My name."

Both praying directly to the Father as it says in the Lords prayer or asking in the name of Jesus are both appropriate forms of prayer for a Christian and both are heard and answered if they are according to His will.
Jesus taught to pray to our Heavenly Father before the Cross. It took willingly being crucified at the hands of sinful men, to prove the love of the One true God, that He is our Father and always has been, the problem as always been we just couldn't believe that He is our Heavenly Father,to our alienated minds He was just God, and a God that was unapproachable and to be feared. Jesus taught one God, not a trinity,and that one God is our Father.

Old 10-23-2012, 05:54 PM

428 posts, read 330,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
The apostle Paul said that "for us there is one God, the Father and one Lord, Jesus Christ. But not in all is there this knowledge."
Paul never knew of a trinity.
I think Paul spoke of the Holy Spirit so he did mention all three.

Old 10-23-2012, 06:09 PM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Joe Bob View Post
I would think that anyone who believe in God the Father and Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit is indeed a Trinitarian. Now how they explain the existence of those 3 differs greatly.
I thought God is 'holy', and that God is spirit. God is holy spirit.

If your human, and your Jimmy, does that make you 2 people? No. It makes you Jimmy the human.

Old 10-23-2012, 06:13 PM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Joe Bob View Post
I think Paul spoke of the Holy Spirit so he did mention all three.
No. Paul wrote the Word of God, and in it he only mentioned Jesus the son of God and God.

He referred to God as holy spirit, father, and perhaps creator.

But Paul never mentioned any thing of God being any more than one singular personality.

Old 10-23-2012, 07:44 PM

33,230 posts, read 26,447,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
God is indeed triune. He is One is essence and three in Person.

The Bible declares that God is one.

Deut 6:4 "Hear, O Israel! The LORD is our God, the LORD is one! This refers to God's essense or substance.

And yet, there are passages which indicate the plurality of God, such as Isa. 48:16.

Isa. 48:16 "Come near to Me, listen to this: From the first I have not spoken in secret, From the time it took place, I was there. And now the Lord GOD has sent Me, and His Spirit." All three Persons of the Godhead are mentioned here.

The Bible also says that three different Persons are God.

1.) God the Father: 1 John 3:1 See how great a love the Father has bestowed on us, that we would be called children of God; and such we are. For this reason the world does not know us, because it did not know Him.

2.) Jesus Christ: John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 14] And the Word became flesh, and dwelt among us, and we saw His glory, glory as of the only begotten from the Father, full of grace and truth. Phil 2:5 Have this attitude in yourselves which was also in Christ Jesus, 6] who, although He existed in the form of God, did not regard equality with God a thing to be grasped, 7] but emptied Himself, taking the form of a bond-servant, and being made in the likeness of men. 8] Being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross.

Both John 1:1,14 and Phil. 2:5-8 speak of Jesus Christ being God and becoming man. This is the hypostatic union of Jesus Christ. Since the time of His First Advent He is the God-man. Eternal and infinite God and true humanity in one Person. Jesus Christ will remain in hypostatic union forever.

3.) The Holy Spirit: Acts 5:3 But Peter said, "Ananias, why has Satan filled your heart to lie to the Holy Spirit and to keep back some of the price of the land? 4] "While it remained unsold, did it not remain your own? And after it was sold, was it not under your control? Why is it that you have conceived this deed in your heart? You have not lied to men but to God." You cannot lie to a force or an attribute. But you can lie to a person.

The Holy Spirit is shown to be a separate Person, distinct from the Father and the Son. 2 Cor. 13:14 The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God (the Father), and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit, be with you all. You cannot have fellowship with a force or an attribute. But you can with a person.

The Holy Spirit speaks: Acts 8:29 Then the Spirit said to Philip, "Go up and join this chariot." Acts 13:2 While they were ministering to the Lord and fasting, the Holy Spirit said, "Set apart for Me Barnabas and Saul for the work to which I have called them."

The Holy Spirit distributes spiritual gifts sovereignly as He will. 1 Cor. 12:11 But one and the same Spirit works all these things, distributing to each one individually just as He wills.

One God in three Persons. That is the Trinity. And I am a Trinitarian.

Old 10-23-2012, 09:25 PM

28,097 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
God is indeed triune. He is One is essence and three in Person.
What exactly is God's essence and what, exactly, do you mean by the word "essence"?

Old 10-23-2012, 10:33 PM

2,981 posts, read 2,933,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I worship a singular Deity, the Creator of the Heavens and Earth. The God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob; the God of Moses and Jesus.

There is no 'trinity' anywhere in the Bible.

sola scriptura "by scripture alone"

Check again, Jesus never referred His disciples to The God (OF) anyone else.

Jesus refered them to His God.

Not to The God (Of) Abraham, Isaac or Jacob.

Old 10-23-2012, 10:41 PM

2,981 posts, read 2,933,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
The trinity is 3 different gods with different natures and characters,and the doctrine was formed to dismiss and deny the truth that Jesus Christ demonstrated the reality of the one true God, and all other ideas and concepts of God man may have had before He ( Jesus ) was given to us where false.

For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.

Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father. We have to understand when Jesus said this, that he was not talking about His outward form, but the Life that was in Him, which is the Light to all men.
- Yes, the Prophecy of Isaiah is correct.
For His "NAME Is (CALLED) wonder Counselor, mighty GOD, everlasting Father, Prince 0f Peace"

But, "He had a Name Written that no one knew except Himself." - Rev.19:12

Old 10-23-2012, 10:57 PM

33,230 posts, read 26,447,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
What exactly is God's essence and what, exactly, do you mean by the word "essence"?
Katzpur, God's essence is His nature or substance - His hupostasis (Hebrews 1:3). It is the sum total of His attributes. God's attributes consist of His Sovereignty, righteousness, justice, love, eternal life, omnipotence, omnipresence and immensity or infinity, omniscience, immutability and veracity. His essence is what He is. God's oneness is in His essence. All the characteristics of divine essence reside to an infinite degree in each Person of the Godhead. Since each member of the Godhead possesses identical essence, these charactistics are what unite God as One.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity