Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 03:12 PM

285 posts, read 1,206,006 times

Advertisements

WOW I was about to make a thread for me, (and I am) Im also gay and was raised as a JW, here is the thing you can scream, yell , verbally attack them, but you can never reason with a JW, plus they will think that they're being persecuted! lol Just tell her your feelings from the bottom of your heart and if she still doesnt approve oh well, shell get over it!

Anyways if I were you I wouldnt give a damn. If I want my daughter or son to see their relatives despite who they love man man woman woman man woman I will be taking my child to see them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2012, 06:32 PM

3,074 posts, read 4,725,532 times
FYI - Statistics bear out that most pedophiles are white hetrosexual males, from one who has been in the criminal justice system for many years. IMO, imposing one's religious beliefs on someone else's children should not be tolerated by any parent, especially when it involves slander of another person or group.
For the record I am a Christian - validated by numerous past posts on the Christianity Forum.

Old 10-31-2012, 08:35 AM

139 posts, read 167,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Thank you for proving my point. Corinthians never referred to same-sex relations as we understand them. It's a later corruption of English Bibles. The word in question condemned temple prostitutes, however, Protestants translated that same word as masturbators for hundreds of years, quite proving quoting a verse with no contextual or historical research is misleading.
The bible condemns all sexual activity outside of marriage... weather "gay" or otherwise. Satan uses this precious, priceless, loving provision for married couples, to warp and trap people.
When the bible says "men who lie with men" it means just that Fiyero. It doesn't say "men who lie with men who are temple prostitutes."

Old 10-31-2012, 09:15 AM

4,612 posts, read 4,894,522 times
How do you eat a crab?

Do you just take a bite while the shell is still on? No. You peel off the bad part to get at the good part.

Your MIL will not change one bit. Without her changing, what can she do to enhance your lives? Nothing? Then leave her alone. Put the crab back in the water.

If there is anything good about her, like being nice to your kids, then enjoy that part. If not, then do not associate with her.

Old 10-31-2012, 11:35 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,772,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara M Wheeler View Post
The bible condemns all sexual activity outside of marriage... weather "gay" or otherwise.
Actually, no it doesn't. Conservatives have taken the English "Fornication" and applied it to a Greek word that there is no evidence it means sex outside of marriage. The Anti-Sex view so common today originated with Saint Augustine, not the Apostles.

Quote:
Satan uses this precious, priceless, loving provision for married couples, to warp and trap people.
Satan also uses cult religions like JWs to deceive people.

Quote:
When the bible says "men who lie with men" it means just that Fiyero. It doesn't say "men who lie with men who are temple prostitutes."
The Bible wasn't written in English Genius. It doesn't say that in Hebrew, and in English it says, "men who lie with men as they would a woman". How does a man have sex with another man like a woman? Men don't have vaginas, meaning it's not referring to everyday acceptable sexual behavior. You also completely ignore the very preceding verse where it's discussing this behavior in the context of pagan worship and sacrificing children to Molech.

And why are you quoting the Torah? Leviticus is in the Torah. The Torah applied ONLY to the Israelites. You know what else the Torah says? Anyone who works on Saturdays must be executed. I doubt you support that law. Which makes you a giant hypocrite.

You have no clue what you're talking about. Your Biblical knowledge is nearly non-existent, and you do what all religious extremists do - quote verses out of context in the wrong language to discriminate against people you don't understand. Your beliefs are no better than Islamic extremists.

You are on the wrong side of history and will be looked at with as much contempt as those who supported slavery, segregation, and bans on interracial marriage.

Old 10-31-2012, 12:42 PM

77 posts, read 74,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose1980 View Post
Hi all. My mother in law is a jehovah's witness. For the most part we get along just fine, provided we side step any conversations where her religious views are very strong on (I am an atheist). A few months ago, I was taking my daughter to visit my cousin and his partner of 20 years (they are gay). She wrote me a very hurtful letter advising that I shouldn't visit them as they were probably pedophiles and I would be a bad mother if I did visit them. I responded saying she should keep such judgmental and disgusting thoughts to herself and she should apologize for saying such a hurtful thing about my family (she also implied that my father shouldn't look after my daughter in case he was a pedophile).

Now we are in a stale mate. She is refusing to apologize and I don't really feel like talking to her after her saying such hurtful things. However I don't want my husband and daughter to miss out on a relationship with her (my husband has also refused to talk to her as he has had many years of awful judgements and comments from her and this was the final straw).

I'm really unsure how I can resolve this "stand off". Does anyone have any advice on how I can reason with a JW about this? I appreciate your help in resolving this family problem.

If she said and/or did all of that, then she shouldn't have, because she's making Jehovah's name look bad, and that's something no witness of his should ever do. However she was right when and only when she wrote you a letter with that one sentence advising you that you shouldn't visit them, but not the part where she said they're pedophiles, because she don't know that, so she shouldn't judge.
  • Leviticus 18:22 - Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination.
  • Leviticus 20:13 - If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.
  • 1 Timothy 1:9,10 - Knowing this, that the law is not made for a righteous man, but for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and for sinners, for unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers, For whoremongers, for them that defile themselves with mankind, for menstealers, for liars, for perjured persons, and if there be any other thing that is contrary to sound doctrine;
Jehovah God don't hate them, but instead hate their actions, and we should too:
  • 1 John 2:15 - Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him. (So we shouldn't love and/or accept it)
  • 1 John 4:8 - He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love.
  • James 4:4 - Ye adulterers and adulteresses, know ye not that the friendship of the world is enmity with God? whosoever therefore will be a friend of the world is the enemy of God.

Old 10-31-2012, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shell93 View Post
If she said and/or did all of that, then she shouldn't have, because she's making Jehovah's name look bad, and that's something no witness of his should ever do. However she was right when and only when she wrote you a letter with that one sentence advising you that you shouldn't visit them, but not the part where she said they're pedophiles, because she don't know that, so she shouldn't judge.
  • Leviticus 18:22 - Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination.
  • Leviticus 20:13 - If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.
[list]
Why do you people continue to quote those verses? They are out of context, in the wrong language, and you guys completely ignore the books they come from anyway. The Torah also demands rape victims and people who work on Saturdays to be executed.

I don't see you quoting those verses. Gee I wonder why.. Stop being a hypocrite. If you keep using the Torah to condemn people, God will use it to condemn you. And since you break 90% of the Torah laws, you're in deep trouble.

Old 10-31-2012, 04:47 PM

428 posts, read 330,722 times
Quote:
Why do you people continue to quote those verses? They are out of context, in the wrong language, and you guys completely ignore the books they come from anyway. The Torah also demands rape victims and people who work on Saturdays to be executed.

I don't see you quoting those verses. Gee I wonder why.. Stop being a hypocrite. If you keep using the Torah to condemn people, God will use it to condemn you. And since you break 90% of the Torah laws, you're in deep trouble.
Those verses just show how God view that sin. But it is also condemed in the NT.

The Apostle Paul, writing by inspiration of the Holy Spirit, declares that homosexuality "shall not inherit the kingdom of God" (I Corinthians 6:9; 10). Now Paul does not single out the homosexual as a special offender. He includes fornicators, idolators, adulterers, thieves, covetous persons, drunkards, revilers and extortioners. And then he adds the comment that some of the Christians at Corinth had been delivered from these very practices: "And such were some of you: But ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the spirit of our God" (I Corinthians 6:11). All of the sins mentioned in this passage are condemned by God, but just as there was hope in Christ for the Corinthians, so is there hope for all of us.

Old 10-31-2012, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Joe Bob View Post
Those verses just show how God view that sin. But it is also condemed in the NT.

The Apostle Paul, writing by inspiration of the Holy Spirit, declares that homosexuality "shall not inherit the kingdom of God" (I Corinthians 6:9; 10). Now Paul does not single out the homosexual as a special offender. He includes fornicators, idolators, adulterers, thieves, covetous persons, drunkards, revilers and extortioners. And then he adds the comment that some of the Christians at Corinth had been delivered from these very practices: "And such were some of you: But ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the spirit of our God" (I Corinthians 6:11). All of the sins mentioned in this passage are condemned by God, but just as there was hope in Christ for the Corinthians, so is there hope for all of us.
No actually it isn't, but since I'm quite aware you know nothing about Biblical history or hermeneutics, I wouldn't expect you to realize it. 1 Corinthians 6:9 did not discuss homosexuals until 1950 A.D., when it was corrupted by Conservative Publishers.

For the entire Protestants Reformation, that very same word was translated as masturbators.

We know for a fact it doesn't refer to homosexuals because 1) The word is masculine and singular. Homosexuals refers to women too, and the Greek word in question cannot refer to women. 2) Paul invented the word. There were already Greek words in use that referred to same-sex behavior. Paul didn't use them. And 3) Following Paul's invention of that word, not a single other use in history of that word has ever listed it with sexual sins. It has ALWAYS been used as an economic vices/crimes. And its uses in ancient literature would make absolutely no sense if it referred to gay people, because those uses have described heterosexual man and woman relationships. How would a man and woman engage in homosexuality with each other?

Old 10-31-2012, 05:43 PM

428 posts, read 330,722 times
Quote:
No actually it isn't, but since I'm quite aware you know nothing about Biblical history or hermeneutics, I wouldn't expect you to realize it. 1 Corinthians 6:9 did not discuss homosexuals until 1950 A.D., when it was corrupted by Conservative Publishers.

For the entire Protestants Reformation, that very same word was translated as masturbators.

We know for a fact it doesn't refer to homosexuals because 1) The word is masculine and singular. Homosexuals refers to women too, and the Greek word in question cannot refer to women. 2) Paul invented the word. There were already Greek words in use that referred to same-sex behavior. Paul didn't use them. And 3) Following Paul's invention of that word, not a single other use in history of that word has ever listed it with sexual sins. It has ALWAYS been used as an economic vices/crimes. And its uses in ancient literature would make absolutely no sense if it referred to gay people, because those uses have described heterosexual man and woman relationships. How would a man and woman engage in homosexuality with each other?
I am sure you believe what you said. It's all wrong but I have no doubt you accept it as truth. Perhaps God has turned you over to a reprobate mind!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity