Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which style do you prefer?
Traditional(organ/piano, traditional music, formal setting, etc) 7 53.85%
Contemporary(Guitar, drums, new music, less formal) 2 15.38%
No preference one way or the other-I like both 4 30.77%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 04:20 PM

4,472 posts, read 3,822,968 times

Advertisements

And why? A lot of churches have been going the contemporary route to attract younger people. I actually don't really prefer one over the other-I really like both(I am in the Lutheran church). What are your thoughts on both styles?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2012, 04:50 PM

428 posts, read 330,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmas View Post
Do you prefer a contemporary worship service or traditional?
YES! The song's I like are good and Godly and those I don't are not!

Old 10-28-2012, 04:52 PM

428 posts, read 330,553 times
I find the poll answers a bit hard to decide on. Since we do "traditional" hymns with drums and guitars and keyboards and a piano and an organ. But we also do some "Praise and Worship" songs with the same instruments.

That being said we do not try to emulate a rock concert like some churches do. Rather we are a bit more traditional in that we do things in "order" rather than making it a "house of confusion". I think many churches today are trying very hard to look and feel like the world so they don't offend a sinner who happens to enter their service. They all try to look and act like the sinner rather than teaching the sinner that he is a sinner and he is the one that God can change.

There I go on my soapbox again.

Old 10-28-2012, 06:23 PM

12,540 posts, read 2,137,531 times
I actually prefer a blend of the two. A church I used to attend did a good job of 'blending' and I have yet to find another that did it as well as they did.

Old 10-28-2012, 07:40 PM

1,114 posts, read 1,223,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Joe Bob View Post
I find the poll answers a bit hard to decide on. Since we do "traditional" hymns with drums and guitars and keyboards and a piano and an organ. But we also do some "Praise and Worship" songs with the same instruments.

That being said we do not try to emulate a rock concert like some churches do. Rather we are a bit more traditional in that we do things in "order" rather than making it a "house of confusion". I think many churches today are trying very hard to look and feel like the world so they don't offend a sinner who happens to enter their service. They all try to look and act like the sinner rather than teaching the sinner that he is a sinner and he is the one that God can change.

There I go on my soapbox again.
What does a "sinner" look like? And playing drums and contemporary music is considered to be "acting" like a sinner? I guess I missed one too many days of Sunday School........

Old 10-31-2012, 11:10 AM

35,666 posts, read 21,030,020 times
I love music that is for worship and exortation that takes you into His presence, Songs of battle and submission- all that has been lost from what I can see in many contemporary songs. The name JESUS is hardly used, and there are a few- but they do not get me in that worship mood, I like loud and also believe we should dance as David danced but out of joy- NOT tradition. I have been to services where worship took over and that is all we did,. Once we sounded like angels,,, it was awesome- nobody wanted to go home, I miss church!!!

Old 10-31-2012, 11:27 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,538,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmas View Post
And why? A lot of churches have been going the contemporary route to attract younger people. I actually don't really prefer one over the other-I really like both(I am in the Lutheran church). What are your thoughts on both styles?
I like both. I play both. Alto Sax at the local Assembly of God and Flute at a Missouri Synod Lutheran. I should add that the AG is our primary church and we attend the Lutheran once a week. My wife attends both when I play at the Lutheran. (good thing the two churches are only a quarter mile apart )

As a musician, I prefer quality spirit-filled music. With that said I find the worship at the AG to be powerful and the worship at the Lutheran to be beautiful. I should note that both churches use hymns and contemporary songs. I really enjoy (the better) hymns done in a modern style.

Boy, some hymns are really awful from a musical stand point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity