U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-01-2012, 01:33 PM
 
21 posts, read 19,397 times
Reputation: 13

Advertisements

Revelation 20:5-6

5. But the rest of the dead lived not again until the thousand years were finished. this is the first resurrection.

6. Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years. (kjv)

It would seem that the righteous are resurrected 1000 years before the unrighteous; and reign with Jesus 1000 years. But check out these scriptures...

John 5: 28-29

28. Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in which all that are in the graves shall hear his voice,

29. And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.

John 6: 40

And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one of which seeth the son, and believeth on him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up on the last day. (kjv)

Revelation: The righteous are resurrected and live with Jesus 1000 years before Judgement.

John: The righteous are resurrected on the last day.

which one is it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-01-2012, 01:44 PM
 
17,307 posts, read 8,748,738 times
Reputation: 1469
"I am the Resurrection, the way, truth and life."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2012, 01:53 PM
 
21 posts, read 19,397 times
Reputation: 13
"I am the Resurrection, the way, truth and life."

That doesn't quite answer the question. Will the righteous be resurrected before the 1000 year reign starts or on "the last day"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2012, 02:02 PM
 
17,307 posts, read 8,748,738 times
Reputation: 1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC-Rec View Post
"I am the Resurrection, the way, truth and life."

That doesn't quite answer the question. Will the righteous be resurrected before the 1000 year reign starts or on "the last day?"
Perhaps, but I am not waiting for a sign.
I live in the here, and now, death will come soon enough.

"A thousand years is but a day."

Last edited by Jerwade; 11-01-2012 at 02:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2012, 03:20 PM
 
Location: Whereever we have our RV parked
7,958 posts, read 6,984,906 times
Reputation: 13320
The first resurrection is conversion/baptism. Once converted a believer already has forgiveness of sins, eternal life, their name written in the book of life, the presences of all three persons of the Trinity in them, they have passed from death to life, Jesus is already preparing a place for them, etc. This is the first resurrection. The second is on the last day.
Eph 2:4 But because of his great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy,
Eph 2:5 made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions—it is by grace you have been saved.
Eph 2:6 And God raised us up with Christ and seated us with him in the heavenly realms in Christ Jesus

Note that these things have already happened to those who believe because of their conversion. Maybe not in time but guaranteed by God, if we continue in faith.

The second resurrection is on the last day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2012, 03:32 PM
 
21 posts, read 19,397 times
Reputation: 13
so when do you believe that the righteous will physically raise from their graves? After the 1000 year reign?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2012, 03:33 PM
 
20,196 posts, read 15,527,021 times
Reputation: 7314
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC-Rec View Post
Revelation 20:5-6

5. But the rest of the dead lived not again until the thousand years were finished. this is the first resurrection.

6. Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years. (kjv)

It would seem that the righteous are resurrected 1000 years before the unrighteous; and reign with Jesus 1000 years. But check out these scriptures...

John 5: 28-29

28. Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in which all that are in the graves shall hear his voice,

29. And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.

John 6: 40

And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one of which seeth the son, and believeth on him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up on the last day. (kjv)

Revelation: The righteous are resurrected and live with Jesus 1000 years before Judgement.

John: The righteous are resurrected on the last day.

which one is it?
Hi BC-Rec.

There are two resurrections.

The first resurrection is the resurrection of believers, and it takes place in stages.

The second resurrection is the resurrection of all unbelievers throughout human history, and takes place after the Millennium has completed.

Regarding the stages of the first resurrection, they are:

1.) The resurrection of Jesus Christ Himself, who is the firstfruits of the dead. 1 Cor. 15:21 For since by a man came death, by a man also came the resurrection of the dead. 22] For as in Adam all die, so also in Christ all will be made alive. 23] But each in his own order: Christ the first fruits, after that those who are Christ's at His coming,

2.) Next comes the resurrection of the Church. This terminates the dispensation of the Church, and will take place before the seven year Tribulation. (John 14:2-3; 1 Cor. 15:51-54; 1 Thess. 4:13-17)

3.) When Jesus Christ returns to the earth at the end of the Tribulation, all Old Testament saints and Tribulational martyrs will be resurrected. (Rev. 20:4)

There is a last day for the Church Age, and a last day for the Age of Israel. The seven year Tribulation is a part of the Age of Israel. The Church Age is an intercalation, which means that the Age of Israel was interrupted for the Church Age. Once the Church has been caught up or raptured, the Tribulation (Daniel's seventh week) will begin at some point shortly afterwards. Perhaps within a few weeks, or potentially as long as one or two years afterwards.

Passages such as Daniel 12:2 and John 5:28-29 speak of the resurrection in a general way, without making a distinction between the first and second resurrection. But as can be seen in Revelation 20:4-5, there is a thousand years between the two.

There is also the matter of Millennial believers having to be resurrected. Since their resurrection is not mentioned in the Bible, there is the possibility that no believer will die during the Millennium. If the only death which occurs during the Millennium is of unbelievers, that would explain the absence of any mention of believers being resurrected. Of course their bodies would still have to be transformed into bodies of immortality and incorruptability in the same manner as the bodies of believers who are alive on the earth at the time of the rapture of the Church will have their bodies transformed (See 1 Cor. 15:51-54. Believers who are physically dead at the time of the rapture must have their bodies resurrected. Believers who are physically alive must have their bodies transformed).



Some people have an Amillennial view of prophecy with regard to the Millennium, and do not believe in a literal Millennial kingdom, and therefore allegorize it, taking it to mean that the Church Age is a figurative Millennium. Since someone with an Amillennial view rejects a literal Millennium, they assume that there is only one resurrection. But as Revelation 20:4-5 clearly state, there are two resurrections separated by 1000 years. The correct Biblical view is Premillennial and is as I have described it above.

Also, the rapture and resurrection of the Church is Pre-tribulational. Although it does relate to the topic of this thread, since it wasn't your specific question, I won't go into detail unless you want me to. I also have a recent thread in which I show that the rapture or resurrection of the Church is Pre-tribulational. >> > The Rapture of the Church is not a theory invented by man, and the Church will not go through the Tribulation

I hope that helps.

Last edited by Mike555; 11-01-2012 at 04:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2012, 03:58 PM
 
Location: arizona ... most of the time
11,822 posts, read 9,765,033 times
Reputation: 1299
There is only one ressurection of the righteous because there is only one last day.
Joel 2:31
The sun will be turned to darkness and the moon to blood before the coming of the great and dreadful day of the LORD.
Acts 2:20
The sun will be turned to darkness and the moon to blood before the coming of the great and glorious day of the Lord.

Zephaniah 1:14-18
“The great day of the Lord is near— near and coming quickly.
That day will be a day of wrath,
a day of distress and anguish,
a day of trouble and ruin,
a day of darkness and gloom,
a day of clouds and blackness,...
Neither their silver nor their gold will be able to save them on the day of the Lord’s wrath.

In the fire of his jealousy the whole world will be consumed,
for he will make a sudden end
of all who live in the earth.”
Compare Zeph 1:14-18 (a day of wrath \ anguish ect.) with what Jesus said in Matthew 24:30 (all the nations will mourn).
Matthew 24:30
“At that time the sign of the Son of Man will appear in the sky, and all the nations of the earth will mourn. They will see the Son of Man coming on the clouds of the sky, with power and great glory
The rapture is part of what happens on the last day, versre 16 of 1 Thessalonians 4:16-17 declares that so.
1 Thessalonians 4:16-17 is the larger explanation of the events taking place in Matthew 24:30-31 which is based on the Zephaniah 1:14-18
1 Thessalonians 4:16-17
For the Lord himself will come down from heaven, with a loud command, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet call of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first. After that, we who are still alive and are left will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air.
Matthew 24:31
And he will send his angels with a loud trumpet call, and they will gather his elect from the four winds, from one end of the heavens to the other.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2012, 07:38 AM
 
428 posts, read 240,696 times
Reputation: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Hi BC-Rec.

There are two resurrections.

The first resurrection is the resurrection of believers, and it takes place in stages.

The second resurrection is the resurrection of all unbelievers throughout human history, and takes place after the Millennium has completed.

Regarding the stages of the first resurrection, they are:

1.) The resurrection of Jesus Christ Himself, who is the firstfruits of the dead. 1 Cor. 15:21 For since by a man came death, by a man also came the resurrection of the dead. 22] For as in Adam all die, so also in Christ all will be made alive. 23] But each in his own order: Christ the first fruits, after that those who are Christ's at His coming,

2.) Next comes the resurrection of the Church. This terminates the dispensation of the Church, and will take place before the seven year Tribulation. (John 14:2-3; 1 Cor. 15:51-54; 1 Thess. 4:13-17)

3.) When Jesus Christ returns to the earth at the end of the Tribulation, all Old Testament saints and Tribulational martyrs will be resurrected. (Rev. 20:4)

There is a last day for the Church Age, and a last day for the Age of Israel. The seven year Tribulation is a part of the Age of Israel. The Church Age is an intercalation, which means that the Age of Israel was interrupted for the Church Age. Once the Church has been caught up or raptured, the Tribulation (Daniel's seventh week) will begin at some point shortly afterwards. Perhaps within a few weeks, or potentially as long as one or two years afterwards.

Passages such as Daniel 12:2 and John 5:28-29 speak of the resurrection in a general way, without making a distinction between the first and second resurrection. But as can be seen in Revelation 20:4-5, there is a thousand years between the two.

There is also the matter of Millennial believers having to be resurrected. Since their resurrection is not mentioned in the Bible, there is the possibility that no believer will die during the Millennium. If the only death which occurs during the Millennium is of unbelievers, that would explain the absence of any mention of believers being resurrected. Of course their bodies would still have to be transformed into bodies of immortality and incorruptability in the same manner as the bodies of believers who are alive on the earth at the time of the rapture of the Church will have their bodies transformed (See 1 Cor. 15:51-54. Believers who are physically dead at the time of the rapture must have their bodies resurrected. Believers who are physically alive must have their bodies transformed).



Some people have an Amillennial view of prophecy with regard to the Millennium, and do not believe in a literal Millennial kingdom, and therefore allegorize it, taking it to mean that the Church Age is a figurative Millennium. Since someone with an Amillennial view rejects a literal Millennium, they assume that there is only one resurrection. But as Revelation 20:4-5 clearly state, there are two resurrections separated by 1000 years. The correct Biblical view is Premillennial and is as I have described it above.

Also, the rapture and resurrection of the Church is Pre-tribulational. Although it does relate to the topic of this thread, since it wasn't your specific question, I won't go into detail unless you want me to. I also have a recent thread in which I show that the rapture or resurrection of the Church is Pre-tribulational. >> > The Rapture of the Church is not a theory invented by man, and the Church will not go through the Tribulation

I hope that helps.
That's basic bible 101!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2012, 07:40 AM
 
428 posts, read 240,696 times
Reputation: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
There is only one ressurection of the righteous because there is only one last day.


The rapture is part of what happens on the last day, versre 16 of 1 Thessalonians 4:16-17 declares that so.
That's basic HOG WASH 101
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top