Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 08:13 AM

603 posts, read 964,499 times

Advertisements

My small opinion: In response to OP:
God can be anything he wants. He's God.

That's the beauty of the situation.
He chooses to be merciful.
To be loving. Forgiving.
That is His Grace.
To us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2012, 02:22 PM

428 posts, read 328,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaceInTheCrowd View Post
My small opinion: In response to OP:
God can be anything he wants. He's God.

That's the beauty of the situation.
To be loving. Forgiving.
That is His Grace.
To us.
God cannot lie!

Old 11-07-2012, 02:59 PM

593 posts, read 793,274 times
Quote:
Casts non-believers into the flames of hell to endure never ending torture?

Old 11-07-2012, 07:15 PM

603 posts, read 964,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Data1000 View Post
Casts non-believers into the flames of hell to endure never ending torture?
Ha. Yes, this one.

Do you literally believe that God does that? Sends people there for 'non-believing'
(...whatever that entails?) Maybe underground? With a Red Devil and a Pitchfork?
Or in some other, hellish, dimension?

I don't.

Been reading the Bible for (20+?) years, off and on, mainly to find faults and contradictions...
As a militant youthful Atheist. Had many loooong conversations with Mormon Missionaries. On both sides
of the issue, over the years. So, anyways, I understand your point. I have personally come to believe
that God is bigger than the Bible. That Man is fallible. (This I can prove... personally.)
That men wrote the Bible...most divinely inspired.

But it has a wide variety of ...how shall we say?...'viewpoints'?
Even comparing the Old Testament to the New Testament...

I do not believe that there is a Hell everlasting.
But, through 'excruciating transformations'...our own sins will be burned away.
Sooner or later...

That's my current understanding anyway... always open to other viewpoints.

Quote:
"...nor will people say, 'Here it is,' or 'There it is,' because the kingdom of God is within you."
~ Luke 17:21
If the Kingdom of God is within you, why not the other place?

Old 11-08-2012, 02:04 PM

593 posts, read 793,274 times
Quote:
Do you literally believe that God does that? Sends people there for 'non-believing'
(...whatever that entails?)
A lot of Christians do believe that. Among the Christians that I know, the majority believe that those who hear their God's word, but do not believe will be among the crowd to which God says: "Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire".

Do I believe that? No, but I honestly cannot count the number of times Christians have reminded me of that.

Old 11-08-2012, 03:38 PM

27,898 posts, read 29,722,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
The God who is more than enough, the God whose mercy endures forever, the God whose Grace over abounds over sin, the God whose love is beyond comprehension is far more wonderful than you could ever imagine or think.
Here's a quote you'll like, Paul. I'm afraid I don't have a source for it:

To believe in God is to know that all of the rules will be fair and there will be wonderful surprises.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity