U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 12:05 AM

6,875 posts, read 7,270,643 times

Advertisements

Is it OK to pray for money? Is that selfish, even if we'll tithe 10 percent of the money?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2012, 12:13 AM

489 posts, read 530,049 times
"Give us this day our daily Bread". We are encouraged in the Lord's Prayer ( really, the disciples's prayer) by Jesus to ask God, and trust Him for provision day by day. It's a matter of the heart. Are you (general you) asking for provision so that you can take care of your family, and of the needy, or, are you just wanting more and more stuff?

Old 11-04-2012, 04:24 AM

8,100 posts, read 7,067,151 times
Many preachers say that the tithe is God money and that you can not have any faith to receive from that giving that money at all, which is wrong .... In Malachi 3: 8-12.... ``In Tithes and offerings , bring all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me here with , that if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there will not be room enough to receive ..I will rebuke the devourer for your sakes and he will not destroy the fruits of your ground, neither will your vine caste fruit before the time in the field . and all nations will call you blessed, for you will be a delight some land , said the Lord ``....... See in this Word from God says the tithes is giving that people can expect a charity from God ..... So when we give any charity tithes and offerings to the Lord or for the Work of the Lord then God will honor that Charity and God said He will give more than those who give.......SO do you want to give Charity of money , then you better ask for money to give , and ask for money for your stabilities for your life , so you can get to the place were you can give money for charity , and still have money in your pocket .... So give to Jesus , or His name .........See there are many people who do not receive when they give only the tithes, as they were lied to by preachers and have lost any hope in receiving the Charity from God , as faith requires confidence in the Lord and hope of expectation to recieve.....

Old 11-04-2012, 10:42 AM

The bottom line is I want to be rich, or at least have a lot more money than I do.

I was curious about whether it's OK to pray for money....yes I want it for myself, but I also would give at least the 10 percent I'm obligated to, and would likely give more to ministerial efforts and churches.

So basically it would be 'bless me with money, Lord, so I can bless ministries more. A friend, who is not religious AT ALL, said it sounds like I'm trying to scam God.

I have to admit the PRIMARY reason for asking would be I want more money, BUT I also would give...that's a definite.

She said perhaps it should be "Lord I want to give more, bless me, so I can give more"...but then she said...you could give more now.....

So: can we pray for material things, or just 'spiritual growth' and to bless others....(healings, saving marriages etc.)

We can have what we say, no? Jabez prayed 'increase my territory, no?

I'm no Bible scholar (that's why I'm asking), but as long as we also ask that GOD's will to be done I don't see why we can't ask for WHATEVER we want, that doesn't harm others.

Old 11-04-2012, 11:11 AM

21,804 posts, read 16,674,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
The bottom line is I want to be rich, or at least have a lot more money than I do.

I was curious about whether it's OK to pray for money....yes I want it for myself, but I also would give at least the 10 percent I'm obligated to, and would likely give more to ministerial efforts and churches.

So basically it would be 'bless me with money, Lord, so I can bless ministries more. A friend, who is not religious AT ALL, said it sounds like I'm trying to scam God.

I have to admit the PRIMARY reason for asking would be I want more money, BUT I also would give...that's a definite.

She said perhaps it should be "Lord I want to give more, bless me, so I can give more"...but then she said...you could give more now.....

So: can we pray for material things, or just 'spiritual growth' and to bless others....(healings, saving marriages etc.)

I'm no Bible scholar (that's why I'm asking), but as long as we also ask that GOD's will to be done I don't see why we can't ask for WHATEVER we want, that doesn't harm others.
There is nothing wrong with wanting to be rich. But it seems that you are attempting to bribe God by promising Him to give ten percent of what He gives you to the Church. And remember this. If you do not have the capacity to be content with what you have now, you will not have the capacity to enjoy being rich. And God will not give you what you don't have the capacity for, as that would not be a blessing.

Furthermore, no one is obligated to pay some set percentage. Tithing was a system of income tax imposed by God on Israel, on believer and unbeliever alike, under the Mosaic law. It has no bearing on the Church. The believer should give only as he is motivated to give.

Here. Read this concerning tithes. >> > Tithing is not for Church Age [www.markkwilliamson.com]

Whatever you pray for must be in accordance with God's will if it is to be answered in the affirmative.

Last edited by Mike555; 11-04-2012 at 11:24 AM..

Old 11-04-2012, 11:30 PM

No bribery at all. I'm not saying IF you bless me with 100-thou, I will tithe....the fact is the if I were to get any money and when I get any unexpected money -- my tax refund, or a gift, for example -- I tithe on it.

Perhps my question should be is it OK to pray for ANY material posession.....be it golf clubs, a big screen TV, a handbag, or money....just for the sake of liking it and wanting it.

Should we never want any material possession, and ask God for it? Or is that seen as 'selfish' and we are not to ever, ever under any circumstances ask for anything selfish. because not all selfish prayers are for material possessions.

Is there anything wrong with praying for material possessions?

Old 11-04-2012, 11:32 PM

35,109 posts, read 40,202,457 times
Quote:

Greed is one of the seven deadly sins so I would advise to be careful what you wish or pray for. You may get exactly what you want however, it may come from a source outside of God.

Seriously look up the seven deadly sins and make your determination from that, it would not hurt to read the ten commandments as well. You should be happy with what you need and not want for things you don't need.

Old 11-04-2012, 11:54 PM

28,442 posts, read 15,427,246 times
You can pray for anything - it doesn't mean you will get a yes answer.

Your motivation would be an important factor.

Old 11-05-2012, 12:36 AM

3,946 posts, read 4,136,847 times
Quote:
Is it OK to pray for money?

I love your question! Taha

But, in some religions, God forgives his sinners no matter what, right?

Did we forget Manifest Destiney? lol

Old 11-05-2012, 01:41 AM

6,837 posts, read 7,894,493 times
Innocent children starving and dying all around the world on a daily basis and you think God could care less about whether or not your bank accounts padded.

Comical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity