U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 08:22 AM

7,780 posts, read 13,244,935 times

Advertisements

OK, this is something that just keeps recurring in my life right now.

Over the course of the past 3 weeks or so, all of the following have actually happened to me:

1-Had a friend tell me they have bizarre thoughts about hurting themselves
2-Had a friend tell me they have bizarre thoughts about cutting themselves
3-Had a friend tell me they have bizarre thoughts about swerving into oncoming traffic
4-Had a friend tell me they have bizarre thoughts about hurting their only child

Now I would consider these folks to be Christians and each one of those thoughts is totally counter to who they really are.

They come to me and say "I don't know why I have them but it's making me crazy because they are so weird and alarming."

I tell them this:

1-The fact you are having these thoughts, identifying them as bizarre, and asking for prayer for them is proof that the Holy Spirit is in you convicting you of these things.
2-I talk to them about the armor of God and how the shield of faith 'extinguishes the fiery darts of the devil'. I don't know how to better explain these things than call them 'fiery darts'.
3-Tell them that if they ever even remotely think they'd actually act on the thoughts, they need to seek professional counsel and I'll help plug them into a good Christ-centered resource.
4-As more and more people come to me (why me???) with these things, it confirms to me that as I've many times "We all have our 'junk'."

I usually pray for these folks right there, even one time over the phone and then try and follow up.

But this leaves me with a few concerns I'd like your help with:

1-Do you ever have any bizarre, scary, or freakishly weird random thoughts that attack you?
2-What other things might I be able to do to better minister to those who are honest enough to say "Hey, me too, thank God I'm not the only one!"
3-Is going back in a week or so and asking these folks "How's it going?" just going to cause them to think about the thoughts more?

Thanks for your help!

Last edited by Alpha8207; 10-11-2007 at 01:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2007, 08:34 AM

3,434 posts, read 8,795,244 times
1. bizarre freaky thoughts? yes..I do..and when they do..I immediatly rebuke them in Jesus name...because if one lets that thought pattern persist..its will grow worse IMHO..I think we are all bombarded with attacks on our thoughts daily..as far as going back a week later..I think it would, for me, depend on how far i thought that person would go with their thoughts..I might go back sooner..I would def encourage them to get in the word..and stay in the word..and pray without ceasing while they were being bombarded..just my .02..I think most times we have a thought and dismiss it before it really even becomes something that we would act upon..

Old 10-11-2007, 08:36 AM

3,086 posts, read 5,561,727 times
Well, I've had bizarre random thots.. to swerve in front of an incoming truck, stood on top of a mountain, at the edge of 4000 ft drop-off, wondering what it would feel like to just take that one step... but, I've never actually considered these things, never felt threatened by them or afraid that I would act on them... I dunno what I would do in your situation, more than what you are doing. If those people are talking about those thots, and feel threatened.... it's kinda scary, isn't it? What was your impression? Were these more than fleeting crazy thots that we all have? (or maybe it's just me)

Regarding your one question:
Quote:
3-Is going back in a week or so and asking these folks "How's it going?" just going to cause them to think about the thoughts more?
I would think this would only be helpful to them, to know someone cares, and IMO would not make it worse.

Old 10-11-2007, 08:41 AM

8,567 posts, read 14,516,394 times
I dunno, it's my personal experience that thoughts rarely are 'random'.
When I get these dark thought I know that I'm (subconsciously) struggling with something.
I do not dismiss these thought or ignore them, instead I try to find out why these thoughts are popping into my head. Often I enter a ‘mini-depression’, but once I’ve discovered the root of the problem I only have to take action and it all turns out all right.
It may sound easy, but it actually isn't. I just have a lot of experience with diving into my subconsious.

Old 10-11-2007, 08:41 AM

2,136 posts, read 4,303,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post

But this leaves me with a few concerns I'd like your help with:

1-Do you ever have any bizarre, scary, or freakishly weird random thoughts that attack you?
2-What other things might I be able to do to better minister to those who are honest enough to say "Hey, me too, thank God I'm not the only one!"

Thanks for your help!
Alpha,

I am sure that our resident therapist will chime in on this one, but I'd say that what you are/have done is what is needed. However, I would also say that it is possible that this person could use professional help. Maybe even meds!

Coming from someone who has traveled this road, I would say that the fact that they are reaching out to you means that they trust and respect you. They are looking for you to HELP them in some way. Prayer is great! But they may need more. Now, I am not trying to undersale the power of prayer. You know that I am a full believer. But they are going through something that unless they are prepared to tell you everything and be in constant contact with you, YOU are limited to what you can say or do for them. I don't think that these thoughts are unnatural for someone who is maybe experiencing depression. I can tell you that I have had thoughts of hurting myself in the past. The fact that they have told you that they have thought of hurting their child, is of great concern! You should stay in close contact with this person or see that they are getting the proper help and someone is watching the children.

That is what Dr. Weather has to say. Best of luck.

Weather...

Old 10-11-2007, 08:47 AM

Well one of the above cases was a minor, so I addressed that totally different. but the others are all adults.

I don't think any of these people would actually do them and maybe it's just a season of learning for me, that these things are out there.

I actually took a sigh of relief with your 'oncoming traffic' comment, cg81.

That's the one that I had someone talk to me about just in the past 24 hours.

So, are these bizarre things just demonic attacks? mental misfirings? random psychological events?

Old 10-11-2007, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
I dunno, it's my personal experience that thoughts rarely are 'random'.
When I get these dark thought I know that I'm (subconsciously) struggling with something.
I do not dismiss these thought or ignore them, instead I try to find out why these thoughts are popping into my head. Often I enter a ‘mini-depression’, but once I’ve discovered the root of the problem I only have to take action and it all turns out all right.
It may sound easy, but it actually isn't. I just have a lot of experience with diving into my subconsious.
Thanks for those comments. It's funny that you said they aren't 'random', I almost didn't include that word because while we all seem to deal with these things, they are pretty consistent to the individual.

Great comments though, thanks again.

Old 10-11-2007, 08:53 AM

3,434 posts, read 8,795,244 times
Well..to actually talk to someone about having these thoughts to me is a big deal...because they must have been pretty bad to feel the need to confide in someone..repetitive even..over a period of time
Id probably go with all three possibilites Alpha...something triggered them...for them to be so shook up over it...a relationship problem maybe..lack of self worth, depression..Im no Dr..or theologian..but I have heard it stated that if its not of God...its of the devil..and the psychological problems were actually demonic attacks..I for one dont know..

Old 10-11-2007, 08:56 AM

3,086 posts, read 5,561,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
I actually took a sigh of relief with your 'oncoming traffic' comment, cg81.
Well, and not to worry you any more, but each situation may be different. I would be worried if someone told me that, even if I know myself that I wouldn't do something like that... There are people that DO give in to those impulses. The question is, do they feel threatened by it, or realize that it was just a crazy thot?

Like Tricky said, these thots may not be random... The way I have found it, when I am all caught up in myself, don't give others proper time in my life, don't give God proper time in my life, am under stress and worried about things, don't have enough sleep, etc.. all these things can contribute to my mental health. When I'm not as "mentally healthy" as I should be, these thots may become more frequent, and I may have less power to resist. I believe that God has the perfect remedy.. "Be still, and know that I am God." In the rat race of life, with ideas, information, whatever, bombarding us on all sides, am I able to focus on God? Have that quiet time of refreshing? Look at other's needs and not my own? Just some random thots...

Old 10-11-2007, 08:57 AM

3,927 posts, read 7,725,151 times
Well buddy, thats a tough position to be in, yet at the same time, leaders do get these questions quite a bit.

From what I have read, we are all attacked by spirit demons and of course they know our fears and attack in those areas.

I believe you are doing exactly what God wants you to do, and knowing you as I do, I believe you are allowing God to work through you to help these people. The Spirit of the Light shines through you, that is why people seek you out.

Going back to see them, asking how they are doing, I believe, again, knowing you, that when you go back, it is after much prayer, so I say yes, it is what God is calling you to do.

As for me, do I get wierd thoughts? LOL, of course, all the time. And sometimes the stranger they are, the easier I can see them for what they are, the work of satan. Yet, there are times when wayward thoughts zip across my mind, leaving me shaken for the very reason I thought them to begin with, then I have to stop and realize that this is what satan wants, is how he wants me to react. Rebuking in Jesus name drives out all as they have to respect Him, but we just need to remember to believe as we rebuke and not just go thru the motions.

Stand firm, dear brother, you are God called.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity