Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 03:14 AM

2,255 posts, read 5,396,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
And you're debating with a fundamentalist who does not stray from a strict literal interpretation of the Bible. There's no hope there, sorry to say.
The last holdout for Christendom's Fundamentalism is the United States of America. This appears to be the make up of most of the members here.

What is true Christianity ??? Herein lies the biggest problem for most of mankind in accepting Christian Fundamentalism. Most Churches throughout the ages have never practiced what they believe. They have yet to be shining examples to the rest of the world. We have the historical record of multiple wars fought by those nations claiming to be Christian. We have the unhealthy Colonialism Era dominated by so-called Christian nations over pagan/heathen peoples and what did that tell us ???

The fact that Christendom does'nt believe in practicing their own master's teachings of living in peace, showing love to fellow man, staying separate from this world's politics and living by their own Holy book's moral standards does nothing to invite outsiders to accept a creation account.

The Christian Fundamentalist's claim that the United States of america's contitution was written and founded on the Judeo-Christian principals and standards. But little if any of this has been shown to the rest of the world. What we see is an empire which has dominated things through the use of force, just as it's European hertitage counterparts did before them. Rather than prove the superiority of the Christian way and the account of creation, if anything, they have only proven survival of the fittest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2008, 03:24 AM

2,255 posts, read 5,396,072 times
Sadly when they fail to receive anymore converts and find it necessary to rather rally the troops and salvage what is left of their own membership, we see them compromise as this example illustrates.

Vatican, ally defend legitimacy of evolution : North County Times - Californian (http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2008/10/02/faith/z380c0c88b77ab0fd882574d500675508.txt - broken link)

Who says churches don't believe in evolution ???

Old 10-05-2008, 01:19 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,813,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepacific View Post
Exactly. This is why no one can accurately tell from where anything started. There have been many catastrophic events throughout the ages. Who can really say for sure what fossil record is what and from what time period. Multiple events have no doubt happened over and over, but what can anyone really make of it except we see milleniums of time periods over and over again and again.
Actually, this is only part of what geologists do in the sub field of Paleontology - determining occurances and geologic ranges of fossils. For instance, Trilobites are Cambrian to Permian. Or of the sponges, Hynoceras is upper Devonian to Mississippian, Astraeospongia is Silurian, while Astylospongia is Ordivician to Silurian. And it is interesting. Each mass extinction event leaves a pretty obvious record. The rock at the point of the event changes very abrupty, and the associated fossil are no longer present in younger rocks.

Quote:
One thing is for a certain, The Fossil record DID NOT form 4000 years ago in a matter of 40 days and 40 nights. Nor did the entire planet with it's various complex ecosystems appear in 144 hours.
Quote:

If nothing else, it is interesting.
Indeed.

Old 10-07-2008, 02:55 PM

102 posts, read 350,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spm62 View Post
I too believe it takes a greater imagination to believe in evolution than it does a creator.
That's exactly how I think of evolution too.

Old 10-07-2008, 02:57 PM

789 posts, read 1,333,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crayfish View Post
That's exactly how I think of evolution too.
There's something complex in evolution and something infinitely complex in God. Easy choice if we are going on how far-stretched they may be.

Old 10-07-2008, 03:02 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,560,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fancofu View Post
There's something complex in evolution and something infinitely complex in God. Easy choice if we are going on how far-stretched they may be.
Not really, creation says, intelligence. Evolution says, "It found a way"

Old 10-07-2008, 03:04 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,545,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reformed Liberal View Post
Evolution says, "It found a way"
What if evolution was the way God intelligently found?

Old 10-07-2008, 03:05 PM

789 posts, read 1,333,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reformed Liberal View Post
Not really, creation says, intelligence. Evolution says, "It found a way"
Creation says God did it. God is infinitely more complex than evolution.

Old 10-18-2008, 04:24 AM

348 posts, read 502,493 times
Default help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fancofu View Post
Creation says God did it. God is infinitely more complex than evolution.
Enlightenment please!

What a curiously strange order God chose when creating the world. I'm baffled.

For instance, he made all the plant life on day 3, we are told. But every child knows that plants derive their source of food directly from the sun. Trouble is, the sun wasn't invented until day 4. Or have I got a misprinted version of Genesis? Poor plants must have had a tough 24 hour wait.

Talking of which, in my pagan ignorance I used to believe that it is the sun which gives us our days and nights; but apparently not, for we are told that the sun wasn't around until 'day' 4. Perhaps I'm nit-picking, but can anybody throw some light (no pun intended) on this conundrum for me?

Please explain in simple terms that my faltering brain can cope with how it was that the first three 'days' could be counted when the world was still awaiting the creation of the sun, moon and stars.

I'm confused, but I'm sure someone out there has the answer...

Old 10-18-2008, 04:31 AM

378 posts, read 625,994 times
I have a Study Bible, and from what I can figure, evolution is capable of fitting into Genesis. If you realize the quote "God formed man from the dust of the ground," it can indeed be seen as creatures ultimately coming from the ground, then eventually into other creatures, then eventually into man. It would also require God knowing beforehand that man would form.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity