U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 05:13 PM

383 posts, read 1,021,229 times

Advertisements

My take on Christianity is not a literal interpretation from gospels and the bible. I like to combine the two.

I think God created the laws of physics, and created our world through these laws. Everyone has to follow these laws, and God chose to bring about our existance through these laws. Why did he not just create us? Because that would be breaking his own laws.

Evolution is a means by which God used to create human beings. The icing on the cake was when Eve ate the apple, or when man gained the power of reason. Before, we were just a bunch of hunter/gatherers with animal like instinct. And then, we gained the power of reason.

Why does everything have to be literal to some Christians? In the face of proof, they see lies. In the face of proof, I use this proof to further confirm my faith, not question it. Why is it impossible to say that God didn't create us in a set of phases, or the 'seven days.' Let each day be a period in history when the evolution of the universe took place. Why is it impossible to say God couldn't create us through his own laws, the laws of physics that we are binded to whether we want to be or not. You, nor I cannot magically fly into the air. This is a law of physic. Life can't be formed out of air, it has to come about by the physical universe that God created and enabled to produce life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2007, 05:15 PM

4,439 posts, read 8,062,394 times
I suppose the best label for me is..

A thestic evolutionary semi-universalist..

Its the best hedge fund out there..

Old 10-11-2007, 07:27 PM

7,099 posts, read 23,900,925 times
it probably happened more or less that way. I suspect that your idea agrees with whatt most Christians think.

However, for those that believe the Bible is the 100% true word of God, and everything happened exactly as it was written down, nothing but an actual six day creation will do.

Old 10-11-2007, 09:40 PM

145 posts, read 818,920 times
To answer the original question about evolution fits with Christianity I must first ask what kind of evolution you're referring to. If you are talking about micro-evolution, which involves things like natural seledtion and environmental adaptations, then yes, evolution fits just fine with Christianity. However, if you're talking about macro evolution, wheren we all started as an amoebe hoping to hook up with another amoebe and by one chance out of 10 trillion it worked and we slowly became better and better then no, this doesn't fit with Christianity. In fact the latter belief really doesn't fit with science either. It is philosophical at best. It certainly can't be tested like real science. Many scientists themselves don't really believe the theory but they don't want to accept the alternative because that involves accountability for our actions. If you really take time to think about it, it takes a lot more to believe that we evolved from dirt than it does to believe in a loving Creator who is all powerful. Macro-evolution is a government-funded lie and many believe it because we've been indoctrinated with the belief since first grade! As far as the bible goes, it has never contradicted with real science. In fact, science has often lagged behind and discoveries are often made that were already recorded in the bible. I believe the bible is totally inerrant and can be trusted and will never be disproven by a real scientific finding. You can put your trust in it without leaving your brains at the door.

Here's a great website for further info on this topic:
Creation Science Evangelism - Creation, Evolution, Dinosaurs, and the Bible. (http://www.drdino.com/articles.php - broken link)
Phillip E Johnson (http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/rossuk/Johnson.htm - broken link) (books on the topic)

Old 10-11-2007, 09:49 PM

145 posts, read 818,920 times
Oh and I meant to also mention that in the textbooks and university biology classrooms, examples of micro-evolution (which are scientific) are repeatedly used to "prove" that macro evolution is true (that we evolved from monkeys). Don't get the two confused like I did at first. The observations are true (moths change color to blend with the tree, birds grow longer beaks in certain climates, etc.) but the conclusions ("this proves we came from a rock") are false.

Old 10-11-2007, 09:56 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,772,736 times
I totally agree that macro-evolution is not biblical. The big bang theory even goes against science...order cannot be created out of disorder. They say that just the eye itself ,never mind the brain or rest of the body,is so complicated it is beyond reason to believe that it just happened over time. It would be like looking at a watch that tells perfect time and thinking that all the pieces just flew together all by themselves over a period of time to create this timepiece. Scientist have no other explanantion and they don`t want to believe in God. I too believe it takes a greater imagination to believe in evolution than it does a creator.

Old 10-11-2007, 10:44 PM

285 posts, read 968,072 times
No, I don't buy into the ignorant unproven theory of evolution that is treated as fact in our nationas public schools and universities.

Where exactly are the half ape/half human people today that are in the middle of evolving?

ugh.

Old 10-11-2007, 11:03 PM

8,567 posts, read 14,522,229 times
Question Does the truth need imagination?

Originally Posted by spm62
Quote:
I too believe it takes a greater imagination to believe in evolution than it does a creator.
Be that as it may, imagining that you can fly does not enable you to fly. So it doesn't matter how great your imagination is, imagining a creator does not bring a creator into existence.
So I don't understand your argument for having or needing imagination.
Unless you believe that God needs humanity.

I mean when you have proof you don't need any imagination. Although I see the correlation between faith and imagination.
But truth (or proof) and imagination?
Sometimes reality (the truth) is more implausible than any imagination.

Old 10-11-2007, 11:40 PM

2,739 posts, read 7,644,888 times
[quote=jak88;1710734].
I think God created the laws of physics, and created our world through these laws. Everyone has to follow these laws, and God chose to bring about our existance through these laws. Why did he not just create us? Because that would be breaking his own laws. [UNQUOTE]

I don't understand why you feel that if God were to create something, that it would be breaking His own laws. What laws would He be breaking? My guess is there are natural laws of God that we don't know about (yet), which apply for when God does creation...

Bud

Old 10-11-2007, 11:59 PM

2,739 posts, read 7,644,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spm62 View Post
The big bang theory even goes against science...order cannot be created out of disorder.
I see your point. But....what if it wasn't disorderly? What if...it was God who made the big bang? In that case, would not the "Bang" , although tremendously huge, be VERY orderly...everything on a perfect precision course, everything timed perfectly, exactly as it should be.....if it was indeed God who did it? After all, SOMETHING made all the universe fly outwards, and expand. (it STILL is....at an astonishing speed....)
Something to think about...

Bud
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or