Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 04:21 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,693,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Can't you die, see the light and go "I repent, please forgive" with sincerity? Why couldn't you?

Isaiah 38:18 (NASB)
“For Sheol cannot thank You,
Death cannot praise You;
Those who go down to the pit cannot hope for Your faithfulness.

Ecclesiastes 9:5 (NASB)
For the living know they will die; but the dead do not know anything, nor have they any longer a reward, for their memory is forgotten.

Ecclesiastes 9:10 (NASB)
Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might; for there is no activity or planning or knowledge or wisdom in Sheol where you are going.

Isaiah 26:14 (NASB)
The dead will not live, the departed spirits will not rise;
Therefore You have punished and destroyed them,
And You have wiped out all remembrance of them.

Psalm 28:1 (NASB)
To You, O Lord, I call;
My rock, do not be deaf to me,
For if You are silent to me,
I will become like those who go down to the pit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2012, 08:18 AM

351 posts, read 354,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
"When thy judgements are in the earth" doesn't even imply that something similar happens in the heavens. In other words, God's judgments (catastrophes, trials, tribulations, etc) are used to teach us righteousness. To draw those opposed to God and outside the fold into the family of God. This is a common teaching all through scripture, new and old testament. It has nothing to do with the afterlife except that it is part of God's call to the lost.

Hi Everyone want to give my thoughts on this, it says when thy judgements are in the earth the inhabitants will learn righteousness. We are the earth, we are made from earth, when God's judgements are in us we will learn righteousness.

Nowhere does it say we must repent in this life, Jesus's elect will be judged and repent in this life and with him will judge the rest of us and even the angels. Everyone is not saved at the same time but it will be in God's time not ours. God works in increments. He does not just snap his fingers and poof we are changed. Look how he worked with Paul to change him. He who persecuted Jesus's followeres was himself persecuted was stoned, shipwrecked, beaten,and had a splinter(a demon) in his flesh to keep him humble. He reaped what he had sown. It took years but in the end Paul was a great apostle and one of the elect.

Dead people are dead. They are not in Heaven or Hell(is no Hell) they are dead. That is why we need ressurection. Remember " we who are alive know we are going to die but the dead know nothing," There is no knowledge in sheol because the is no consciousness.

Judgement are what God does and will use to convert everyones heart by letting them reap what they have sown so all judgements will be personal to that one and in the end all will understand and repent in thier heart(they can't fool God). It will not be pleasent or painless but in the end God's will will be done and all will be saved but not till they truly repent and becaome like our Father.

Old 11-15-2012, 09:56 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,883,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Wait Alpha, back up the truck, if we needn't believe Jesus is God for salvation, how should we think of him? I thought that was what "accepting Jesus as one's savior" meant. Actually, I've always wanted to ask what that meant.
What I mean is that all those things twin posted are true but you don't have to know/accept those things at salvation.

Only God can forgive sins, so Jesus MUST be God incarnate.

That said, at the time of salvation, one must realize they have a debt they can't pay (sin) and that Jesus is God's Lamb sent to pay the penalty for our sins. We come under His Lordship and we learn the sanctity of the scriptures, more about His divinity, the Trinity of God etc. A Christian accepts those things and they are absolutely true but at the very moment of salvation the only thing that matters is Christ.

Why do you think Jesus was naked on the cross?

Answer: Because Christ and Christ alone is enough to save us.

Hope that clears it up.

Old 11-15-2012, 09:57 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,883,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Exactly ... I almost do not believe I'm hearing that the Alpha8207 that I know.

Jesus is God is the teaching that makes up Christianity from the cults \ false religions \ false teachers.
Jesus is God. 100% agree. See my previous post.

Old 11-15-2012, 11:22 AM

30,907 posts, read 32,984,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
What I mean is that all those things twin posted are true but you don't have to know/accept those things at salvation.

Only God can forgive sins, so Jesus MUST be God incarnate.

That said, at the time of salvation, one must realize they have a debt they can't pay (sin) and that Jesus is God's Lamb sent to pay the penalty for our sins. We come under His Lordship and we learn the sanctity of the scriptures, more about His divinity, the Trinity of God etc. A Christian accepts those things and they are absolutely true but at the very moment of salvation the only thing that matters is Christ.

Why do you think Jesus was naked on the cross?

Answer: Because Christ and Christ alone is enough to save us.

Hope that clears it up.
It does, thank you, I totally did not read the post that way, LOL! Gotcha.

Old 11-16-2012, 05:01 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,366,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sschulz View Post
Hi Everyone want to give my thoughts on this, it says when thy judgements are in the earth the inhabitants will learn righteousness. We are the earth, we are made from earth, when God's judgements are in us we will learn righteousness.

Nowhere does it say we must repent in this life, Jesus's elect will be judged and repent in this life and with him will judge the rest of us and even the angels. Everyone is not saved at the same time but it will be in God's time not ours. God works in increments. He does not just snap his fingers and poof we are changed. Look how he worked with Paul to change him. He who persecuted Jesus's followeres was himself persecuted was stoned, shipwrecked, beaten,and had a splinter(a demon) in his flesh to keep him humble. He reaped what he had sown. It took years but in the end Paul was a great apostle and one of the elect.

Dead people are dead. They are not in Heaven or Hell(is no Hell) they are dead. That is why we need ressurection. Remember " we who are alive know we are going to die but the dead know nothing," There is no knowledge in sheol because the is no consciousness.

Judgement are what God does and will use to convert everyones heart by letting them reap what they have sown so all judgements will be personal to that one and in the end all will understand and repent in thier heart(they can't fool God). It will not be pleasent or painless but in the end God's will will be done and all will be saved but not till they truly repent and becaome like our Father.
I liked this ^^^^.

Peace,
brian

Old 11-16-2012, 08:37 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,344,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Munchkin View Post
Isaiah 38:18 (NASB)
“For Sheol cannot thank You,
Death cannot praise You;
Those who go down to the pit cannot hope for Your faithfulness.

Ecclesiastes 9:5 (NASB)
For the living know they will die; but the dead do not know anything, nor have they any longer a reward, for their memory is forgotten.

Ecclesiastes 9:10 (NASB)
Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might; for there is no activity or planning or knowledge or wisdom in Sheol where you are going.

Isaiah 26:14 (NASB)
The dead will not live, the departed spirits will not rise;
Therefore You have punished and destroyed them,
And You have wiped out all remembrance of them.

Psalm 28:1 (NASB)
To You, O Lord, I call;
My rock, do not be deaf to me,
For if You are silent to me,
I will become like those who go down to the pit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sschulz View Post

Nowhere does it say we must repent in this life, Jesus elect will be judged and repent in this life and with him will judge the rest of us and even the angels. Everyone is not saved at the same time but it will be in God's time not ours. God works in increments. He does not just snap his fingers and poof we are changed. Look how he worked with Paul to change him. He who persecuted Jesus' follower's was himself persecuted was stoned, shipwrecked, beaten,and had a splinter(a demon) in his flesh to keep him humble. He reaped what he had sown. It took years but in the end Paul was a great apostle and one of the elect.

Dead people are dead. They are not in Heaven or Hell (is no Hell) they are dead. That is why we need resurrection. Remember "we who are alive know we are going to die but the dead know nothing," There is no knowledge in sheol because the is no consciousness.

Judgement are what God does and will use to convert everyone's heart by letting them reap what they have sown so all judgements will be personal to that one and in the end all will understand and repent in their heart (they can't fool God). It will not be pleasant or painless but in the end God's will will be done and all will be saved but not till they truly repent and become like our Father.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
I liked this ^^^^.
It's not the nomenclature used by Mainstream or Orthodox Christianity for describing hell, but that is a grave error on their part.

I have no doubt, they will repent.

Old 11-16-2012, 08:57 AM

2,065 posts, read 2,160,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Just one more question, sorry.

Where in the Bible does it say the body's physical death is the cutoff point for repentance?

Can't you die, see the light and go "I repent, please forgive" with sincerity? Why couldn't you? Obviously the Bible, at least the "suffering forever" parts, seems to state that there's consciousness after death so why couldn't you repent after you're dead, and are conscious that you're dead?

I've heard it's a question of faith, that God does this because he wants to know you had faith before you died and "knew it all" in a death revelation, but again, is there Bible backup for this theory?
Maybe the Bible doesn't have all the answers. Maybe there is more of God's truth out there for people like you to discover.

Are we conscious after death? What do those people who have had near-death experiences say? They were as alive as ever.

OT, I see you are from SoCal, too... not all that far from me, btw. If you're interested in chatting about the real truth of God and Jesus, etc., send me a PM. God bless.

Old 11-16-2012, 10:57 AM

2,271 posts, read 2,649,327 times
This is an excellent topic that people need to understand. Eternities are at stake for those who don't.

The thought of getting a second chance at salvation after we die sounds appealing, but it's not going to happen. It's not how God designed it. What's more... it wouldn't matter because people would NOT repent then either.

When people ask this question, the first thing that pops into my mind is this:
If people are upset that there is no chance for repentance and salvation AFTER death, that means they are keenly aware of their NEED for it NOW but they don't want to. They want to live unrestricted and ungoverned by God and live, instead, how they want to.
That's rebellion against God.

While ANY person is alive, they have a second, third, tenth, thousandth... chance to repent and be saved. As long as anyone (murderer, liar, thief, hater, etc.,) draws breath, they have hope. Know that first and foremost! No matter what you've done, as long as you're alive, God will forgive and receive you!

Hebrews 9:27 says that death is the end of all chances.
John 3:16, Acts 16:31, and Romans 10:9-10 show that every person has every chance while they're alive.

For the record, there is no biblical basis for purgatory, either. That's a Roman Catholic tradition.

What Happens To Non-Believers After They Die? This is shown in Revelation 20:11-15. They go before the Great White Throne Judgement where the books are opened. “The dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.” The books contain all the thoughts and deeds of those being judged. Romans 3:20 says that “by the works of the Law is no flesh justified.” So, everyone who is judged by their works and thoughts are condemned to hell.

What Happens To True, Biblical Believers After They Die? True believers in Jesus are NOT judged by the books of works. Their names are found written in another book, according to Revelation 21;27 -- The Lamb's Book of Life. These are the ones who have believed on the Lord Jesus, and they alone will be allowed to enter heaven.

So, wouldn’t non-believers repent and believe if they were given another chance after they died? Actually, no, because their hearts are not changed simply because they die. Their hearts and minds “are at enmity” against God and won’t accept Him even when they see Him face to face.

We know this because of the story of Lazarus and the Rich Man in Luke 16:19-31. If EVER someone should have repented when given a second chance to see the truth clearly, it was the rich man. Even when he was in torment in hell, he only asked that Abraham send Lazarus back to earth to warn his brothers so they didn’t have to suffer the same fate. There was no repentance in his heart, only regret for where he found himself. Abraham’s response in Luke 16:31 is the key: “And he said to him, If they do not hear Moses and the Prophets, they will not be persuaded, even though one rose from the dead” We're shown that the witness of the Scriptures is sufficient for salvation for those who believe it, and no other revelation will bring about salvation to those who do not.

No second, third or fourth chances after death would be enough to turn a heart of stone into a heart of flesh.

Old 11-16-2012, 11:58 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,693,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plain and simple View Post
This is an excellent topic that people need to understand. Eternities are at stake for those who don't.

The thought of getting a second chance at salvation after we die sounds appealing, but it's not going to happen. It's not how God designed it. What's more... it wouldn't matter because people would NOT repent then either.

When people ask this question, the first thing that pops into my mind is this:
If people are upset that there is no chance for repentance and salvation AFTER death, that means they are keenly aware of their NEED for it NOW but they don't want to. They want to live unrestricted and ungoverned by God and live, instead, how they want to.
That's rebellion against God.

While ANY person is alive, they have a second, third, tenth, thousandth... chance to repent and be saved. As long as anyone (murderer, liar, thief, hater, etc.,) draws breath, they have hope. Know that first and foremost! No matter what you've done, as long as you're alive, God will forgive and receive you!

Hebrews 9:27 says that death is the end of all chances.
John 3:16, Acts 16:31, and Romans 10:9-10 show that every person has every chance while they're alive.

For the record, there is no biblical basis for purgatory, either. That's a Roman Catholic tradition.

What Happens To Non-Believers After They Die? This is shown in Revelation 20:11-15. They go before the Great White Throne Judgement where the books are opened. “The dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.” The books contain all the thoughts and deeds of those being judged. Romans 3:20 says that “by the works of the Law is no flesh justified.” So, everyone who is judged by their works and thoughts are condemned to hell.

What Happens To True, Biblical Believers After They Die? True believers in Jesus are NOT judged by the books of works. Their names are found written in another book, according to Revelation 21;27 -- The Lamb's Book of Life. These are the ones who have believed on the Lord Jesus, and they alone will be allowed to enter heaven.

So, wouldn’t non-believers repent and believe if they were given another chance after they died? Actually, no, because their hearts are not changed simply because they die. Their hearts and minds “are at enmity” against God and won’t accept Him even when they see Him face to face.

We know this because of the story of Lazarus and the Rich Man in Luke 16:19-31. If EVER someone should have repented when given a second chance to see the truth clearly, it was the rich man. Even when he was in torment in hell, he only asked that Abraham send Lazarus back to earth to warn his brothers so they didn’t have to suffer the same fate. There was no repentance in his heart, only regret for where he found himself. Abraham’s response in Luke 16:31 is the key: “And he said to him, If they do not hear Moses and the Prophets, they will not be persuaded, even though one rose from the dead” We're shown that the witness of the Scriptures is sufficient for salvation for those who believe it, and no other revelation will bring about salvation to those who do not.

No second, third or fourth chances after death would be enough to turn a heart of stone into a heart of flesh.
Amen... plain and simple, excellent post !!
You are correct in that "This is an excellent topic that people need to understand. Eternities are at stake for those who don't."

With all the divisiveness these individuals will not change the rebellion against God. They will continue to find excuses to justify they know more then God and what He has warned in the holy scriptures.... it makes one wonder if their destiny is not already set !!
As they come here who once believed the truth and turned their hearts away from believing Him, exchanging the truth of God for the lies of the flesh, emotions.... continuously opposing the servants of the Living God !

They continue to oppose and go against the warnings from the few servants of God left here.... They have been warned and still turn their backs to God.... justifying it by calling it.... they will not except nor listen to the Bible, God's word, God's people, that Christianity has it all wrong !!

Like you and many servants of God have given to them many scriptures of God's truth helping to understand there is no second, third, fourth, whatever chance after death for one to repent. As they will find out one day and deeply regret (the weeping and gnashing of teeth) the deception they believed and turned to and it is to late !! But I believe like you said, if their not going to repent here now, they would not do it after death because they don't believe God now !!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity