Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2012, 08:25 PM

3,066 posts, read 3,722,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
With just over a month to go before Christmas, the Pope has declared that the presence of animals like cattle and donkeys in traditional Nativity scenes is based on little more than a myth.

Nativity donkeys and cattle are a myth, says Pope - Telegraph
RESPONSE:

Luke's nativity narrative itself is a myth.

Luke 2:2 "This was the first registration and was taken while Quirinius was governor of Syria. 3All went to their own towns to be registered. 4Joseph also went from the town of Nazareth in Galilee to Judea, to the city of David called Bethlehem, because he was descended from the house and family of David"

Josephus. Jewish Antiquities, chap 18:1-4
"Quirinius also visited Judaea, which had been annexed to Syria, in order to make an assessment of the property of the Jews and to liquidate the estate of Archelaus".

Quirinius conducted a census of Judaea in 6 A.D. when Judaea came under direct Roman control following the exile of Archelaus, King Herod's son, and inheritor 10 years after Herod's death in 4 B.C.

But Nazareth was in Galilee, not Judea. Galilee remained under the rulership of Herod Antipas who conducted any census necessary and collected taxes. He ruled until about 37 A.D. Quirinius was never the governor of Galilee, hence, he didn't conduct a census nor collect any taxes in Galilee. This was under the contol of Antipas.

Hence, Joseph and Mary would not have traveled to Bethlehem at all.

But Luke had to find some way to have Jesus born in Bethlehem, so he developed this story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2012, 08:50 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,965,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
So when Jesus was born there were no wise men to be seen?..
Correct.

Old 11-23-2012, 09:30 PM

259 posts, read 366,035 times
Jesus was born in a stable normally a shelter for various animals . There is no significance to suggest animals were not present . We weren't there and if animals were stalled then perhaps may have been removed ? The real myth is the wise man being present . These Magi came two years after the birth of Christ. They were also astromoners and wealthy . They came to search for Jesus accompanied with a small army, which scared the wits out of Herod. They brought their gifts of course and followed the star (a separate extremly fancinating story). The Pope receives his information from historians and I respect his views as a man of God. Perhaps if given the oportunity or subject the wise men senario would be told. The animal thing is based on speculation. Stables often are place and bedding for animals duh?

Old 11-24-2012, 12:52 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,026,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbidave View Post
Jesus was born in a stable normally a shelter for various animals . There is no significance to suggest animals were not present . We weren't there and if animals were stalled then perhaps may have been removed ? The real myth is the wise man being present . These Magi came two years after the birth of Christ. They were also astromoners and wealthy . They came to search for Jesus accompanied with a small army, which scared the wits out of Herod. They brought their gifts of course and followed the star (a separate extremly fancinating story). The Pope receives his information from historians and I respect his views as a man of God. Perhaps if given the oportunity or subject the wise men senario would be told. The animal thing is based on speculation. Stables often are place and bedding for animals duh?
Also, the myth of there only being three because there were only three gifts...Magi usually travelled in greater numbers...And it is interesting that they are called Magi, for this is what the office is called in Zoroastrianism...

Old 11-24-2012, 11:01 AM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Follower Of X View Post
This could be good news as the pope appears to actually be reading the bible.
Oh.

I thought it was because he was there.

Old 11-24-2012, 04:46 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,016,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
With just over a month to go before Christmas, the Pope has declared that the presence of animals like cattle and donkeys in traditional Nativity scenes is based on little more than a myth.

Nativity donkeys and cattle are a myth, says Pope - Telegraph
It is fascinating the things people proclaim and spend their time contemplating. I have not yet clicked on the article, but I must because I can't even imagine why the Pope would make such a statement.

Okay, I read a few paragraphs. I think the Pope is wrong. The gospel stories say that Jesus was born in a "manger" or "stable" i.e. a barn. I always saw this as a sign pointing to his utter humility - the he would be born where animals are born -- symbolic of the fact that, though we humans have often acted like worse than animals, he was humble enough to be with us even at our lowest.

I did note that the Pope is now releasing a book and naturally I wondered if his statement was made to draw attention to the book.

Old 11-26-2012, 07:28 AM

2,817 posts, read 3,460,887 times
what is next? Jesus came out of the womb already walking? That would be a nice headline. The sad thing is that if the pope says it, people believe it.

Old 11-26-2012, 07:48 AM

10,607 posts, read 11,656,986 times
Well now this is interesting, first the Catholic Pope says that the Christian Messiah was not born on December 25 and now he says that there weren't any animals in or around where your Messiah was born....hmmmm.... Next thing you know he'll be saying that your Messiah was never born...... that would kinda put him out of a job, maybe he's looking to be the last Catholic Pope in history.....

Old 11-26-2012, 08:04 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,965,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
Well now this is interesting, first the Catholic Pope says that the Christian Messiah was not born on December 25 and now he says that there weren't any animals in or around where your Messiah was born....hmmmm.... Next thing you know he'll be saying that your Messiah was never born...... that would kinda put him out of a job, maybe he's looking to be the last Catholic Pope in history.....
Jesus was not born December 25.
I doubt he was go so far as to say Jesus was never born.

The important point to take away from the birth of Christ is that: He is the Saviour Who will save His people from their sins. It is not "when" He was born, not "whether there were animals surrounding Him at His birth," but His mission statement by the angels who met the shepherds.

Old 11-26-2012, 08:52 AM

13 posts, read 21,151 times
PTSUM The Pope is right Jesus wasn't born on December 25 as the church selected that
day to "represent" Christs birth in order to substitute Jesus birth for Saturnalia or the
pagan day set asside to worship the sun god at winter solstice. Jesus was apparently
either born in spring (1 Nisan) which would be April (Gregorian calendar) or as the
christian astronomer suggests Jesus was concevied in December of 4BC during hanukka with Mary in temple (perhaps) when the moon was at the head of virgo (conception.) Hebrews consider conception birth by the way. Jesus was then born 9 months later on September 11 3 BC on Rosh Hashanah when the moon now was at the foot of virgo (birth). There I go ranting again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity