Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2012, 10:09 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,289,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieparson View Post
If you are thinking that this text is Jesus offering to be a "genie in the bottle" who gives you material blessings whenever you want, you've got it wrong. This text is about asking for spiritual blessings, hence the phrase, "give the HOly spirit to them that ask him." So what Jesus is saying that if we are struggling with faith, in doubt of God's goodness, love, faithfulness, and willingness to forgive, etc, then if we ask God for these, Christians can expect to receive in abundance. But this only comes through the study, meditation and serious consideration of God's revelation in HIs Holy Word. To seek to access God outside of HIs word is paganism. God does not come to us apart from His Word.
To seek God anywhere outside of yourself is paganism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2012, 11:19 AM

810 posts, read 1,437,372 times
Jerz...I wandered this myself. If people pray with heartfelt honesty to be relieved of painful physical or mental conditions, why doesn't God grant those prayers? I had to understand God's will and His purpose for people and the earth worldwide.

We all have inherited sin and imperfection from Adam. Our imperfection includes our health and can be manifested many different ways- cancer, diabetes, reproductive disorders...etc. if God granted every petition for perfect health, than we would never feel the effects of imperfection.

His will for humankind was clear from the begin and it hasn't changed. He created Adam and Eve, giving them perfect health and a perfect earth to fill. Unfortunately, Satan challenged God's authority and God decided to allow humans to attempt to rule ourselves without His "support" and Adam and Eve went along with Satan. Thankfully, through Jesus' sacrificial death, and standing up to Satan...humans will regain what Adam and Eve lost. At that time, all the prayers for health, well being, peace, etc...will be granted. It will be a permanent.

Last edited by beeveenh; 11-23-2012 at 11:20 AM.. Reason: Auto correct error

Old 11-23-2012, 07:08 PM

63,804 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieparson View Post
If you are thinking that this text is Jesus offering to be a "genie in the bottle" who gives you material blessings whenever you want, you've got it wrong. This text is about asking for spiritual blessings, hence the phrase, "give the HOly spirit to them that ask him." So what Jesus is saying that if we are struggling with faith, in doubt of God's goodness, love, faithfulness, and willingness to forgive, etc, then if we ask God for these, Christians can expect to receive in abundance. But this only comes through the study, meditation and serious consideration of God's revelation in HIs Holy Word. To seek to access God outside of HIs word is paganism. God does not come to us apart from His Word.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
If by Word, you mean Bible you'd be wrong.
Amen. It means through Jesus Christ who is the Way and the Living Word of God..

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
To seek God anywhere outside of yourself is paganism.
AND it is idolatry to revere the Bible as if it were infallible and inerrant . . . only God is.

Old 11-23-2012, 07:30 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,822,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
I'm not sure I have that quote right. Anyway, what's up with this piece of scripture? Plenty of people ask and don't receive. And yes, I realize that "sometimes the answer is no" but this piece clearly states that if you ask, it will be given to you. That just doesn't happen.

Does anybody have an opinion on this? What could it mean since we don't necessarily get what we ask for? Does the quote refer to the afterlife?

ETA: And this one: in Luke 11: [13] If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children: how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him?
I don't think that you should consider the verse in the title and this one separately because this one is explaining the verse in the title. And the second verse answers your question: if you ask God, you'll receive, but it might not be specifically what you wanted but something that serves the need in a fashion consistent with your best potential.

Jesus also said that you might not receive it right away; like knocking on your friend's door, he might not answer because he likes you but he'll answer if you bug him enough.

Of course, there's also an element of faith, of which you have none since you claim that it doesn't happen.

I think that God provides for us materially. And if you faithfully ask through Christ for the right things, then you'll get what you want. But like the father who'll not give his son a snake when he asks for bread, God isn't going to give you riches (remember the camel through the needle thing) when it would be a poison.

Quote:
I don't see that God takes care of our needs if we live according to his will. This is VERY hard for me to reconcile.
Define "needs."

Old 11-23-2012, 08:17 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,998,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Homogenizer View Post

Define "needs."
Sure. How about food?

Old 11-23-2012, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Sure. How about food?
Who's living according to his will yet not attaining food?

Old 11-23-2012, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Who's living according to his will yet not attaining food?
Are you joking? I know literally hundreds of truly awful people, including a few pedophiles, who have loads of food. ETA: Or are you saying the reverse, that these people are starving because they're not living according to God's will? Do you dare make that presumption? Just curious. God might have just a bit of a problem with you basically saying you're the one who can look into men's hearts.

Old 11-23-2012, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Are you joking? I know literally hundreds of truly awful people, including a few pedophiles, who have loads of food. ETA: Or are you saying the reverse, that these people are starving because they're not living according to God's will?
You're relying on illogical manipulations of my position in order to build these assumptions.

Here's my argument:

People who adhere to the laws of God are supplied what they need. These (starving) people are not supplied what they need. Therefore, they are not people who adhere to the laws of God.

Here's the argument that you're suggesting that I'm making:

People who adhere to the laws of God are supplied what they need. These people (pedophiles) are supplied what they need. Therefore, they are people who adhere to the laws of God.

It's irrational because the pedophiles can receive what they need by other means.

Your second argument is a formal fallacy. An argument cannot be reversed and still be just an argument; an argument that is reversible is a definition. If I were to say that this reversal argument were sound, then I'd be establishing that receiving food is the law of God.

Quote:
Do you dare make that presumption? Just curious. God might have just a bit of a problem with you basically saying you're the one who can look into men's hearts.
With respect, I think that you should use better objects from which to draw your impersonations of Christian indignation.

Last edited by The Homogenizer; 11-23-2012 at 09:05 PM..

Old 11-23-2012, 08:47 PM

Quote:

Here's my argument:

People who adhere to the laws of God are supplied what they need. These (starving) people are not supplied what they need. Therefore, they are not people who adhere to the laws of God.
Oh no, trust me. This version is sufficiently bad.

Old 11-23-2012, 08:50 PM

63,804 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:
Here's my argument:

Quote:
Oh no, trust me. This version is sufficiently bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity