U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 07:59 AM

398 posts, read 444,477 times

Advertisements

Hi Folks:

Before I put this out for discussion I want to assure people I am not being disrespectful or just trying to get a rise out of folks. I know this may not sound like it but I want to ask this and actually get people's opinion.

We all know that the DNA that we have in our Genes influences the outcome in how our body develops and how our personality and abilities turn-out. We also know that Jesus had a Human body and undoubtedly had all of the same body functions as the rest of us including eating, drinking, elimination and the rest of that.

What I wonder about is whether His genetic coding was the exact same as ours or if He had some special coding that we might not have. For instance, we now know that genetic changes such as mutations occur much more often than we ever knew. We also know that some genetic groups tend to have higher frequency of genetic changes than others, especially where communities are small or tightly knit.

Any how I just wondered if anyone had any thoughts on this. We Christians often hear such things like "He was like us in all things but Death.." and I was pondering that question from a bit different POV. Thoughts?

FWIW.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2012, 10:09 AM

281 posts, read 231,116 times
Hey Glad!

If I understand your question, you are wondering if Jesus was a 'super' human in terms of his incarnation.

I have heard of a theory that basically says that we have a 'sin gene' that gives us the propensity to sin, but doesn't actually make us sin. It is argued that the 'sin gene' is passed down only through the father (or perhaps from both but you need two inherited sin genes to be born into a sinful nature), so that all those who are born of man will inherit this gene. The idea goes on to explain that since Jesus was not born of man, but of the Heavenly Father, he did not inherit this 'sin gene'.

Some have argued that the curse is passed down through man, and not the woman, thus Jesus did not inherit the curse. Since he did not inherit the curse from Adam, his genetic make up was not subject to the various effects of the curse: mutation, entropy, etc. Basically, Jesus was created in the same condition that Adam and Eve were, perfect in every way genetically. Of course, he could still die, as is witnessed by the cross, but not as a result of the curse of sin.

The way I see, both arguments are basically saying the same thing, just that one takes a more 'scientific' approach, while the other a more 'theological' one. I would have to say, in short, that yes, Jesus genetic make up was different that ours, in that he did not suffer from the effects of the curse as we do (sickness, aging, death). For me it doesn't really matter how that is done, just don't make him an alien with different genetic make-up from ours. He was human, fully, not some half human/alien hybrid.

Old 11-24-2012, 04:12 PM

7,857 posts, read 6,662,302 times
Jesus is a man who was born on this earth , but came as a incarnation of Father God to the earth ... Jesus received the Holy Spirit and became the first man to be born again in the earth with a new creation, .... Jesus took the honor that God had lost and became a judgment for man to be one with God through the righteousness of Jesus .....So now God accepts all men and women who will come and obey the commands and receive Jesus spirit into their lives and love the Lord and it does not matter one bit about the DNA of that person

Old 11-24-2012, 04:41 PM

5,965 posts, read 5,567,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched.elect View Post
Hey Glad!

If I understand your question, you are wondering if Jesus was a 'super' human in terms of his incarnation.

I have heard of a theory that basically says that we have a 'sin gene' that gives us the propensity to sin, but doesn't actually make us sin. It is argued that the 'sin gene' is passed down only through the father (or perhaps from both but you need two inherited sin genes to be born into a sinful nature), so that all those who are born of man will inherit this gene. The idea goes on to explain that since Jesus was not born of man, but of the Heavenly Father, he did not inherit this 'sin gene'.

Some have argued that the curse is passed down through man, and not the woman, thus Jesus did not inherit the curse. Since he did not inherit the curse from Adam, his genetic make up was not subject to the various effects of the curse: mutation, entropy, etc. Basically, Jesus was created in the same condition that Adam and Eve were, perfect in every way genetically. Of course, he could still die, as is witnessed by the cross, but not as a result of the curse of sin.

The way I see, both arguments are basically saying the same thing, just that one takes a more 'scientific' approach, while the other a more 'theological' one. I would have to say, in short, that yes, Jesus genetic make up was different that ours, in that he did not suffer from the effects of the curse as we do (sickness, aging, death). For me it doesn't really matter how that is done, just don't make him an alien with different genetic make-up from ours. He was human, fully, not some half human/alien hybrid.
I think you answered that better than I ever could have. I do think Jesus did not inherit the curse that was passed down from Adam and I agree with you that the sin nature is passed down through the earthly fathers. Also, the bible says that Eve is the mother of all living. No need for a 2nd Eve - did anyone ever wonder why?

Old 11-24-2012, 06:29 PM

17,689 posts, read 8,866,529 times
A living soul and the quickening of the Spirit manifests life.

Old 11-24-2012, 07:03 PM

21,263 posts, read 20,865,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glad2bHere! View Post
Hi Folks:

Before I put this out for discussion I want to assure people I am not being disrespectful or just trying to get a rise out of folks. I know this may not sound like it but I want to ask this and actually get people's opinion.
Well, you won't get a rise out of me, though I anticipate that my response may ruffle a few people's feathers. If Jesus was truly human, then He had 46 chromosomes. He would have gotten one strand of 23 from His mother, Mary, and another strand of 23 from His Father, God.

Old 11-24-2012, 09:10 PM

19,952 posts, read 12,966,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glad2bHere! View Post
Hi Folks:

We all know that the DNA that we have in our Genes influences the outcome in how our body develops and how our personality and abilities turn-out. We also know that Jesus had a Human body and undoubtedly had all of the same body functions as the rest of us including eating, drinking, elimination and the rest of that.

What I wonder about is whether His genetic coding was the exact same as ours or if He had some special coding that we might not have. For instance, we now know that genetic changes such as mutations occur much more often than we ever knew. We also know that some genetic groups tend to have higher frequency of genetic changes than others, especially where communities are small or tightly knit.

Any how I just wondered if anyone had any thoughts on this. We Christians often hear such things like "He was like us in all things but Death.." and I was pondering that question from a bit different POV. Thoughts?

FWIW.
Jesus is fully God and fully human. In every way, he is human. He isn't a super-human. He is human. He died just like the rest of us will, and he rose again. He now has a glorified body and resides in Heaven.

He is also fully God. He has always been God, and he has never ceased being God.

Old 11-24-2012, 10:36 PM

17,689 posts, read 8,866,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
He died just like the rest of us will, and he rose again.
... just like the rest of us will, for though you shall surely die; it's not forever.

Old 11-24-2012, 10:56 PM

10,024 posts, read 10,135,943 times
I believe that Jesus was just as the angel told Joseph. "Of the Holy spirit". I do not believe that He was produced from an ovum of Mary's that was fertilized in some way. Jesus was the "Second Adam and I believe that His DNA would have been very much like Adam's. Perfect without blemish. Ever since Adam and the fall of Man all of creation has been corrupted by sin, of course including all of Mankind. Therefore Jesus being in effect the new Adam had a completely recreated DNA that was given to him by God the father and would not be connected to any existing earthly strain.

Old 11-25-2012, 04:09 AM

26,248 posts, read 13,915,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
I think you answered that better than I ever could have. I do think Jesus did not inherit the curse that was passed down from Adam and I agree with you that the sin nature is passed down through the earthly fathers. Also, the bible says that Eve is the mother of all living. No need for a 2nd Eve - did anyone ever wonder why?
Isa 7:13 And He said, Hear now, O house of David, is it too little that you weary men, but will you also weary my God?
Isa 7:14 So, The Lord Himself will give you a sign: Behold! The virgin will conceive and will bring forth a son; and she shall call His name Immanuel.
Isa 7:15 He shall eat curds and honey until He knows to refuse the evil and choose the good.
Isa 7:16 For before the boy shall know to refuse the evil and choose the good, the land that you hate will be forsaken before both her kings.

If it was not inherited then how does one explain this passage?...And if He was not born with it, then He did not possess all the frailties of man...And the temptations that HaSatan presented to Him were in reality not even worth the time, for it is written that HaShem cannot be tempted, so if Yeshua was HaShem in the flesh, then how could He have really been tempted?...Yeshua was blessed with honor from HaShem for obeidience to Torah...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity