U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-26-2012, 09:03 AM
 
Location: Central Indiana
167 posts, read 140,005 times
Reputation: 19

Advertisements

[Genesis 1:1] The Hebrew verb consists of two different states. The perfect state indicates an action which is complete, whereas the imperfect state indicates a continuous or incomplete action.

At Genesis 1:1 the word bara, translated as created, is in the perfect state, which means that at this point the creation of the heavens and the Earth were completed. Later, as in verse 16 the Hebrew word asah, translated as made, is used, which is in the imperfect state, indicating continuous action. The heavens and Earth were created in verse 1 and an indeterminate time later they were being prepared for habitation, much the same as a bed is manufactured (complete) and made (continuous) afterwards.

[Genesis 1:2] The planet was a water planet, waste and empty, meaning that there was no productive land. Though the sun and moon as part of the heavens were complete, at this point light had not penetrated to the surface of the Earth. Job 38:4, 9 refers to a "swaddling band" around the Earth in the early stages of creation. Likely there was a cosmic dust cloud of vapor and debris which prevented the light from the sun from being visible on the surface of the earth.

The Hebrew word ruach, translated as spirit, indicates any invisible active force. Wind, breath, or mental inclination, for example. The Holy Spirit is Jehovah God's active force. Invisible to man but producing results. Throughout scripture it is often referred to as God's hands or fingers in a metaphorical sense. (Psalm 8:3; 19:1)

[Genesis 1:3] Here the Hebrew verb waiyomer (proceeded to say) is in the imperfect state indicating progressive action. This first chapter of Genesis has more than 40 cases of the imperfect state. The creative "days" were a gradual process of making Earth habitable.

The light was a diffused light which gradually grew in intensity. Some translations more clearly indicate the progressive action:

A Distinctive Translation of Genesis by J.W. Watts (1963): "Afterward God proceeded to say, 'Let there be light'; and gradually light came into existence."

Benjamin Wills Newton's translation (1888): "And God proceeded to say [future], Let Light become to be, and Light proceeded to become to be [future]."

The Hebrew word for light, ohr, is used. This distinguishes the light from the source of the light. Later, on the fourth "day" the Hebrew word maohr is used, signifying that the source of the light only becomes visible then through the swaddling band.

[Genesis 1:4] Light and darkness is divided between the eastern and western hemispheres as the Earth rotates on its axis.

[Genesis 1:5] Here the Hebrew word yohm translated day, indicates the daylight hours, but the term will be applied in the following verses to indicate various lengths of time. The word is used to describe any period of time from a few hours to thousands of years. (Zechariah 14:8 / Proverbs 25:13 / Psalm 90:4 / Isaiah 49:8 / Matthew 10:15)

The terms evening and morning are metaphoric. At this point there are no witnesses on Earth to a literal night and day, but there are witnesses in heaven. (Job 38:4, 7) The evening symbolizes the period of time in which the events unfolding were indiscernible to the angels in heaven. The morning symbolizes the period in which the angels could distinguish what had been accomplished. (Proverbs 4:18)

[Genesis 1:6] The word expanse is translated from the Hebrew raqia, which means "spreading out." Since the root word from which raqia comes is raqa, which is sometimes used in a sense of "beating out" some confusion has been caused by the Greek Septuagint translation of raqia as stereoma, which means "firm and solid structure" concluding when the Latin Vulgate used the term firmamentum because, at that time it was thought that there was a metallic dome surrounding the earth with sluice holes from which rain fell.

The International Standard Bible Encyclopaedia states: ďBut this assumption is in reality based more upon the ideas prevalent in Europe during the Dark Ages than upon any actual statements in the O T.Ē - Edited by J. Orr, 1960, Vol. I, p. 314. For example, at Job 36:27-28 the water cycle is described without any reference to the Dark Ages understanding of sluice holes.

[Genesis 1:7] In verse 6 and 7 part of the water that covers the Earth is lifted to the heavens to form a water canopy surrounding the planet. This canopy was used to flood the earth during the days of Noah. (2 Peter 3:5-6)

[Genesis 1:11] The Biblical kind, from the Hebrew leminoh, Greek genos, and Latin genus, differs from the Evolutionist kind. The Biblical "kind" can be defined as divisions in which cross fertility can occur, a boundary between these kinds is drawn where fertilization ceases. Apple trees, for example, donít produce broccoli, squirrels donít produce horses.

In biology a kind applies to animals and plants which possess one or more distinctive characteristics, meaning the biological term kind may contain several varieties within a Biblical kind.

[Genesis 1:14] The light in verse 14 is different from that in verse 3. In verse 3 the Hebrew word ohr is used, meaning the light from the source. Light in a general sense, whereas the light in verse 14 the Hebrew word maohr is used, signifying the source of the light is now visible. See [Genesis 1:3]

The sun, moon and stars are set as a sign of the seasons, days and years. A most accurate timepiece. The use of the term ďsignĒ is often mistaken as a reference to astrology, which is incorrect. See What The Bible Says About Astrology and Does The Bible Condemn Astrology?

[Genesis 1:16] The Hebrew waiyaas (proceeded to make), from asah, in verse 16 is different than bara (create) in verses 1, 21 and 27. Asah is the imperfect state indicating progressive action. The luminaries as part of the heavens had already been completed in verse 1, but now they were visible on Earth and prepared for their intended use. Asah can mean make, or appoint (Deuteronomy 15:1), establish (2 Samuel 7:11), form (Jeremiah 18:4), or prepare (Genesis 21:8). Also see [Genesis 1:1]

[Genesis 1:20] The word soul, from the Hebrew nephesh, means "breather." The soul is in the blood, the life itself, of any breathing creature. At Genesis 9:3-4, for example, the Hebrew word nephesh can be translated as life or soul.

[Genesis 1:21] Sea monsters, from the Hebrew tanninim, great reptiles. The Hebrew term remes means to creep or move about; an aimless movement. It covers a variety of creatures and distinguishes these animals from domestic or wild birds, beasts and fish.

[Genesis 1:24] Cattle; domestic or tame animal (Hebrew behemah).

[Genesis 1:25] There are two creation accounts. The first is a chronological account (Genesis 1:1-2:4) and the second is given according to topical relevance. (Genesis 2:5-4:26) They differ in order and are often wrongly thought to contradict one another.

[Genesis 1:26] God refers to his son, Christ Jesus in his heavenly pre-human existence. (Genesis 11:7 / Proverbs 8:30 / John 1:3 / Colossians 1:16) Being made in the likeness, image or semblance of God reflects mankind's potential for being like God, possessing his qualities of wisdom, power, righteousness and love.

[Genesis 1:27] Too often it is overlooked by selfish, dominating men that woman too were created in Godís image, and thus deserving respect.

[Genesis 1:31] Godís creation is good. There is no sickness, disease or slow progression to death. The small area they reside in is a paradise reflective of the potential, and in fact the purpose of growing throughout the entire planet. It isnít Godís purpose for us to live in sin on Earth and then move on to heaven.

The creative days, each of which may have lasted thousands or even millions of years, and had taken place an indeterminate period of time after the creation was complete in verse one, are not indicative of any speculation regarding the age of the Earth and universe. The Bible simply doesnít say.

Period 1 - Light; a division between night and day (Genesis 1:3-5)

Period 2 - The Expanse; a division between waters above and beneath. (Genesis 1:6-8)

Period 3 - Dry land and vegetation. (Genesis 1:9-13)

Period 4 - Heavenly luminaries become visible from Earth. (Genesis 1:14-19)

Period 5 - Aquatic and flying creatures. (Genesis 1:20-23)

Period 6 - Land animals and man. (Genesis 1:24-31)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-26-2012, 09:46 AM
 
Location: Florida -
8,131 posts, read 9,849,699 times
Reputation: 14799
It would be helpful in an exhaustive post like this if you would either state your point or conclusion.

Toward the end, you seem to suggest that the creative days could have lasted for thousands or millions of years, which is probably true; since time, as we measure it, was not created until the 4th "Day[i]."

Gen 1:14: 14 Then God said, “Let there be lights in the expanse of the heavens to separate the day from the night, and let them be for signs and for seasons and for days and years;

However, do we really need to 'explain away' God or His Word ... or make them fit neatly into our understanding of "scientific proof"? (which, regarding evolution, does anything BUT meet any established standard of empirical scientific 'proof'). Are we to believe that the God of all creation could NOT have created the heavens and earth in literal 'days?' My point is that God doesn't need to fit into our perception of what He is or 'should be'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-26-2012, 09:56 AM
 
Location: Maine
14,859 posts, read 19,546,921 times
Reputation: 16908
Genesis --- or any other book of the Bible for that matter --- is not a science book. We can discern much Truth in Genesis, but don't mistake Truth for scientific data. That is a misuse of the text.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-26-2012, 10:53 AM
 
Location: Central Indiana
167 posts, read 140,005 times
Reputation: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Genesis --- or any other book of the Bible for that matter --- is not a science book. We can discern much Truth in Genesis, but don't mistake Truth for scientific data. That is a misuse of the text.
Agreed. However, it is important to note that science has something in common with Bible interpretation and translation. They are all the imperfect observations of men. We learn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-26-2012, 11:31 AM
 
Location: Central Indiana
167 posts, read 140,005 times
Reputation: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
It would be helpful in an exhaustive post like this if you would either state your point or conclusion.

Toward the end, you seem to suggest that the creative days could have lasted for thousands or millions of years, which is probably true; since time, as we measure it, was not created until the 4th "Day[i]."

Gen 1:14: 14 Then God said, ďLet there be lights in the expanse of the heavens to separate the day from the night, and let them be for signs and for seasons and for days and years;

However, do we really need to 'explain away' God or His Word ... or make them fit neatly into our understanding of "scientific proof"? (which, regarding evolution, does anything BUT meet any established standard of empirical scientific 'proof'). Are we to believe that the God of all creation could NOT have created the heavens and earth in literal 'days?' My point is that God doesn't need to fit into our perception of what He is or 'should be'.

Science, to me, is at best, if at all, an afterthought. I trust Jehovah God far more than the imperfect observations of men. The points were gleaned more from a linguistic rather than a scientific approach and are as follows.

1. There was an indeterminate period of time in between Genesis 1:1 where the creation was complete and the first creative day. This time could have been billions of years.

2. There was a swaddling band surrounding the Earth for some time which prevented first the light and then the source of the light from being visible on earth. There is a great deal of confusion on the part of skeptics of the Bible regarding the creation of light and their source, especially considering that the luminaries, as part of the heavens, were complete in the first verse.

3. The creation account, after Genesis 1:1 which is complete, then becomes progressive.

4. The Hebrew term translated day doesn't, more often than not, imply 24 literal hours. The term day is used in various ways within the creation account, and the seventh day began after Adam was created and continues today, thousands of years later.

5. The terms "morning and evening" are metaphoric and do not constitute a literal 24 hour period. Only half of a 24 hour period.

6. The skeptical opinion of the firmament being, in the eyes of the writers of the Bible, a solid metal dome is based upon the Latin mistranslation and thinking prevalent much later in the dark ages.

7. There was a water vapor canopy surrounding the Earth from early on in the creation account until the flood of Noah's day. This would block a great deal of the sun's harmful radiation possibly resulting in much longer lifespan. The lifespan fell dramatically after the flood to where it is now.

8. The Biblical kind isn't compatible with the theory of evolution. If Adam were not a real person and his sin allegorical then there wouldn't be a need for a messiah.

9. There is no contradiction between the alleged two creation accounts. They differ only in order, one being topical and one being chronological. To say, for example, that you went to the mall and bought a sweater in one case and in another that you bought a sweater at the mall isn't a contradictory statement.

10. Women were created in God's image just as men were and thus deserving much respect. Misogynistic paradigms are an insult to Christ, who is likewise subject to Jehovah God the father comparatively speaking. The father is the head of the son just as the husband is head of the wife.

11. No matter what the date of the universe and planet Earth are in the eyes of science, they don't contradict one another because the Bible simply doesn't give a date, nor can one be derived from scripture. The Earth is, however, more than six thousand years old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-27-2012, 04:43 AM
 
2,650 posts, read 1,361,295 times
Reputation: 303
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-27-2012, 09:53 PM
 
1,321 posts, read 999,508 times
Reputation: 241
Could God not create the universe in 6 days as is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-27-2012, 10:48 PM
 
Location: Central Indiana
167 posts, read 140,005 times
Reputation: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Follower Of X View Post
Could God not create the universe in 6 days as is?
Well . . . that is a really good question. I have to assume that he either could not or that it wouldn't have been appropriate for him to do so. Maybe I could be a great writer and write an awesome book every 40 minutes, but that doesn't necessarily mean that that would be the right thing for an awesome writer to do.

People tend to think that God can do anything. Can you think of anything God can't do? God can't lie. (Titus 1:2) Can you lie?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2012, 10:32 AM
 
1,321 posts, read 999,508 times
Reputation: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Theist View Post
Well . . . that is a really good question. I have to assume that he either could not or that it wouldn't have been appropriate for him to do so. Maybe I could be a great writer and write an awesome book every 40 minutes, but that doesn't necessarily mean that that would be the right thing for an awesome writer to do.

People tend to think that God can do anything. Can you think of anything God can't do? God can't lie. (Titus 1:2) Can you lie?
God could lie but he wouldnt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2012, 10:33 AM
 
Location: US
25,970 posts, read 13,710,553 times
Reputation: 1571
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Theist View Post
Well . . . that is a really good question. I have to assume that he either could not or that it wouldn't have been appropriate for him to do so. Maybe I could be a great writer and write an awesome book every 40 minutes, but that doesn't necessarily mean that that would be the right thing for an awesome writer to do.

People tend to think that God can do anything. Can you think of anything God can't do? God can't lie. (Titus 1:2) Can you lie?
The reason He cannot lie is because in His reality is Truth...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:13 AM.

© 2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top