Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 10:31 PM

2,886 posts, read 8,282,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
Does that mean all those pictures of Jesus with long hair are wrong!
I'm afraid so, about 5 years ago, there was a big documentary about it on The History Channel, I believe . considering the lineage of Jesus of Nazareth and their customs for men . I 'll try to find the documentary information it may take me some time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2007, 10:40 PM

The Error of the Long-haired Jesus
Did Jesus Have Long Hair?
http://www.theologyonline.com/forums...p/t-12999.html
Here are a few links about Jesus and long hair; I especially like the paragraph that speaks about how Judas would not have used a kiss to betray Him, because at that time if he had long hair he would have stood out (like a sore thumb).among the Jewish men who had short
hair.

Old 10-19-2007, 08:25 AM

58 posts, read 137,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dojilynn View Post
Oh, sorry. I see where it said that now.

The reason I was asking was because in the OT, it was a part of the Nazarite vows to not cut their hair.(Sampson)

Why would it now be a disgrace?
Please re-read Leviticus 19:27 and Deut 14:1.

After that, feel free to make the corrections necessary to your post.

Old 10-19-2007, 08:51 AM

4,440 posts, read 9,069,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Y'honatan View Post

Not sure what should be corrected..

5 All the days of his vow of Naziriteship there shall no razor come upon his head; until the days be fulfilled, in which he consecrateth himself unto the LORD, he shall be holy, he shall let the locks of the hair of his head grow long.

Old 10-19-2007, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y'honatan View Post

Leviticus 19:27- Matthew Henry Commentary Whole
Surely we have not so learned Christ. 3. There was a superstition even in trimming themselves used by the heathen, which must not be imitated by the people of God: You shall not round the corners of your heads. Those that worshipped the hosts of heaven, in honour of them, cut their hair so as that their heads might resemble the celestial globe; but, as the custom was foolish itself, so, being done with respect to their false gods, it was idolatrous. 4. The rites and ceremonies by which they expressed their sorrow at their funerals must not be imitated, v. 28. They must not make cuts or prints in their flesh for the dead; for the heathen did so to pacify the infernal deities they dreamt of, and to render them propitious to their deceased friends.
This is speaking about the Jews and superstitions; ceremonial ritual offered to the devil ; this has nothing to do with the topic that we're discussing.
It is important for us to know that when we read the scriptures that we must inquire as to who and what the reference passages are speaking about.
I don't see any need for correction in her posts

Old 10-20-2007, 11:16 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,536,080 times
Default ...civilized nations?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by yhwhshalomjr View Post
Is it not a distinction which nature has kept up among all civilized nations? The woman’s hair is a natural covering; to wear it long is a glory to her; but for a man to have long hair, or cherish it, is a token of softness and effeminacy.’’ Should there not be a distinction kept up between the sexes in wearing their hair, since nature has made one? Is it not a distinction which nature has kept up among all civilized nations? The woman’s hair is a natural covering; to wear it long is a glory to her; but for a man to have long hair, or cherish it, is a token of softness and effeminacy.’’ Note, It should be our concern, especially in Christian and religious assemblies, to make no breach upon the rules of natural decency.
Geez, loueeze. I guess I have to once again point out there are other cultures with different viewpoints other than the christian belief or worldview.
Native American men wore their hair long. I don't t hink the warriors could be called softness and effeminate. It is a cultural phenom based on beliefs.

Old 10-20-2007, 09:46 PM

58 posts, read 137,545 times
Well I definetly wasn't expecting to see such horrendous translations from the hebrew. Not your fault, but mine for not actually looking up the verse in English.

This is a closer translation...

"You shall not round off the sides of your head, and you shall not destroy the edge of your beard."

So this verse refers to your peyot (sideburns) and your beard. Not your hair.

Old 10-20-2007, 11:18 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,679,104 times
That is because it is Num 6:5

All the days of his vow of separation no razor shall pass over his head. He shall be holy until the days are fulfilled for which he separated himself to the LORD; he shall let the locks of hair on his head grow long. (NASB)

Just for reference :

Lev 19:27
You shall not round off the side-growth of your heads nor harm the edges of your beard. (NASB)

Deut 14:1
You are the sons of the LORD your God; you shall not cut yourselves nor shave your forehead for the sake of the dead. (NASB)

Old 10-21-2007, 01:03 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,231,007 times
Interesting. The only ones I know who cared about their hair and religion were Samson and the Rastafarians who had dreadlocks.

Quote:
The wearing of dreadlocks is very closely associated with the movement, though not universal among, or exclusive to, its adherents. Rastas believe dreadlocks to be supported by Leviticus 21:5 ("They shall not make baldness upon their head, neither shall they shave off the corner of their beard, nor make any cuttings in the flesh.") and the Nazirite vow in Numbers 6:5 ("All the days of the vow of his separation there shall no razor come upon his head: until the days be fulfilled, in the which he separateth himself unto the LORD, he shall be holy, and shall let the locks of the hair of his head grow.") Part of the reason the hairstyle was adopted was to contrast the kinky hair of black men with the straighter hair of whites.

The very earliest Christians may also have worn this hairstyle; particularly noteworthy are descriptions of James the Just, "brother of Jesus" and first Bishop of Jerusalem, who wore them to his ankles.

Also, according to the Bible, Samson was a Nazarite who had "seven locks". Rastas point out that these "seven locks" could only have been dreadlocks, as it is unlikely to refer to seven strands of hair.
Rastafari movement - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-19-2008, 11:24 AM

1 posts, read 1,501 times
Default Head Covering

My husband is the pastor at a cowboy church. We minister to the western heritage people. 1 Corin. does say a man who is praying or prophesying should not have his head covered. At our church hats are removed during time of prayer. We do not prophesy. We are not prophets. We are disciples of Christ and therefore we do not believe we are wrong by allowing people to wear their hats or caps. The Bible also tells us to use whatever means we must in order to bring them to the saving knowledge of Jesus Christ. If they feel comfortable and will attend church with their hats or caps on, by all means, wear them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity