Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 01:43 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,360,429 times

Advertisements

I am going to try and make this short... I was in Hallmark today buying Christmas cards by the box. They had a good selection and I saw one that mentioned Christ and I put it back on the shelf.

The thought popped into my head, "I don't want to offend anyone..."

It really bothered me that I thought that. I don't know if it was something in myself or just the thought that I had to worry about people being offended over a card that mentioned Jesus in it.

I know not everyone is a Christian, but darn... I just can't get this one figured out. It's really bugging me....

Ah well.

Do you ever worry when you are buying a card, etc, that it may bother someone if religion is mentioned in the card? I know most of the peoples feelings about it that I am sending cards to, but not all of them....

Maybe I need to look at myself and not care if I am labeled Robyn, the Jesus Freak.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2012, 01:49 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
Just get the cards and send them. If someone who is not Christian receives the card and is offended by your belief that they are going to hell and cannot live an honorable life without following your example, they will know to avoid you.

Old 11-29-2012, 01:53 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
I am going to try and make this short... I was in Hallmark today buying Christmas cards by the box. They had a good selection and I saw one that mentioned Christ and I put it back on the shelf.

It really bothered me that I thought that. I don't know if it was something in myself or just the thought that I had to worry about people being offended over a card that mentioned Jesus in it.

I know not everyone is a Christian, but darn... I just can't get this one figured out. It's really bugging me....

Ah well.

Do you ever worry when you are buying a card, etc, that it may bother someone if religion is mentioned in the card? I know most of the peoples feelings about it that I am sending cards to, but not all of them....

Maybe I need to look at myself and not care if I am labeled Robyn, the Jesus Freak.

I am not politically correct and have never been politically correct, Christmas Cards more often than not have Christ attached to them because it is supposed to be the time of Celebration of Christs' birth. I honestly don't worry about what anyone thinks about anything I do and you will NEVER please everyone all the time so quit wasting the time and energy trying to do so. To Thine Ownself Be True!!

PS ~~ I am also not ashamed to tell anyone that I believe in God whether they believe or not is not my issue and if they are offended by my statement that one is on them as well.

Old 11-29-2012, 02:04 PM

28,097 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post

Ah well.

Honestly, I can relate to how you're feeling. My son is quite serious with a young woman who comes from a Hindu family. I actually think she's pretty secular in her worldview, and as far as I know, she doesn't practice her religion at all. She and my son will be coming over to my place for Christmas as will several other relatives who were raised in Christian homes but are no longer practicing (my brother-in-law is an atheist). As I was decorating for Christmas, I found myself wondering, as I put up a couple of nativity sets and miscellaneous religious artifacts, if the people who would be my guests at Christmas would be offended by this or think I was overdoing the religious side of the holiday. I had to remind myself that it's my home and my belief! I celebrate Christmas as a comemoration of the birth of my Savior. As far as I'm concerned, the holiday might as well not exist without Christ being the very center of it. So, if anybody wants to see nothing but Santa Clause at my house, too bad for them!

Old 11-29-2012, 02:17 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,774,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
As far as I'm concerned, the holiday might as well not exist without Christ being the very center of it. So, if anybody wants to see nothing but Santa Clause at my house, too bad for them!
I understand your view, but you do know the holiday technically existed before Christ right? Guess I'm wondering why we celebrate a day Jesus wasn't born on that was directly taken from Paganism to celebrate his birth. Does the Bible tell us to have a holiday for his non-birthday? Did the Apostles celebrate Christmas?

Old 11-29-2012, 02:21 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,078,401 times
As a non-Christian I do not send Christmas cards. But, I am not offended if some one sends me one. I accept it with the intent I believe it was sent. I often send out Eid cards to my non-Muslim friends, I hope they receive them in the same spirit.

Old 11-29-2012, 02:31 PM

2,817 posts, read 3,461,778 times
i can show you a video of christians being burned alive for their belief. at the moment there are bretheren being hunted down like animals, but still praise God. They will shout it from the rooftops. And yet are usually ashamed to pray in public for our food. I, for one, notice that i sometimes dont want to mention Jesus. But i learned that the name of Jesus, changes the enviroment. It is powerful. So, send the card and dont think twice.

Old 11-29-2012, 02:36 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,293,297 times
Great peace have they who love your law, and nothing can make them stumble. Unfortunately I believe Christianity has brought this situation upon itself by being offended with everything it looks upon with displeasure, then reacts by speaking out against it, instead of acting in the spirit . We reap what we sow.

Last edited by pcamps; 11-29-2012 at 02:46 PM..

Old 11-29-2012, 02:43 PM

79 posts, read 80,735 times
I do not send cards for any occasion. If I receive one I will read it first and it will probably make it's way to the circular file. That's probably the worst thing that will happen if your card is unloved .

I would urge YOU not to be offended yourself it you do not receive a card back in reciprocation.

Sent using Tapatalk 2

Old 11-29-2012, 02:44 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,834,115 times
'Robyn the Jesus Freak' --- What a great label! --- Jesus was called much worse ... largely because He did offend almost everybody! ... from the Religious and Political establishments of the day to people "who loved the darkness more than the light". Even Jesus taught:
Matt. 10:34-35 - 34 “Do not think that I came to [b]bring peace on the earth; I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. 35 For I came to set a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law;

Jesus did not come to bring war or to take peace 'from' the world, but, rather to bring the only possible 'peace with God' that God has chosen to offer. Much of the 'offense taken' was the fact that He declared God's absolute, uncompromised truth (rather than the mushy, relative opinions of the world!).

Please recognize that it is not you that might offend people by claiming the name of Jesus Christ, but, rather, the name of 'Jesus Christ' alone offends people ... because He calls sin, sin and shines light on the world's darkness. But, He is also the only source of Life and Relationship with God, beyond this world ... so, a little offence in the right spirit, is certainly worth the risk! Rather than worrying about offending people by sending Christ-centered "CHRIST-mas" cards, you might consider why you might be more willing to 'offend God' by denying the name of 'Jesus Christ'; ... than you seem to be about offending people with non-politically-correct cards. (Matt. 10:33: 33 But whoever denies Me before men, I will also deny him before My Father who is in heaven.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity