Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 12:04 PM

2,469 posts, read 3,130,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
A Pharisee asked Jesus when the Kingdom would come, Jesus said to the Pharisee that the Kingdom does not come with observation but is actually in him( the Pharisee). Amen even the Pharisee as the Kingdom of God within him, he might not believe it,but he does.

We are directed to seek after him and we will find him. I love the scriptures, but I love what is of God within me more.

I'm right with you, Pcamps.

There are beautiful and inspiring symbolic lessons in the scriptures, but everything, including scripture, is only appreciated from within.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2012, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
There is the practicality of the matter.

Christianity means to follow Christ: Christ taught us it was all about two main commands - love God and each other - and the corollary: love your enemies.

This is the only practical way in which we as sentient beings can survive and thus have salvation. When we will all truly love our fellow humans, we will no longer hate, steal from, and kill each other. We will survive and flourish. We will have true life, knowing Christ, and God who is love.

I agree, Legoman.

I think people who worship or blindly follow anybody (prophets old and new included) are setting themselves up for failure, because nobody's perfect and "all things will fail except charity, which is the pure love of Christ."

Still, I understand why people want to follow the herd in believing in human sacrifice as a scapegoat, even though this is not what Christ is really about. Jesus is a personification of spirituality - much easier to relate with spiritually... & spirituality is essentially about relating.

Christ ("annointed one") is not Jesus' last name, but a higher consciousness that he achieved & encouraged others to achieve. The only way to follow him is by considering, feeling & living the principles of love... striving for what is best through trial & error - active faith.

Old 12-10-2012, 05:58 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,911,827 times
Default Or, this alternative perspective...

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
We are Christians. We are supposed to be biased towards whom we believe in.

How does anyone defend anything without some sort of bias?
Well, unless your "religion", such as in the case of pure unadulterated atheism, is itself based on a taking an unbiased approach, to always keeping an open mind and to quickly dismissing anything that is carved in stone as absolute (such as Abrahamic biblical inerrancy, so often encountered on these very fora..).

Such is the unbiased atheist perspective, always open to information but basing it's belief in there being no specific gods on simple, historically supported and irrefutable data and logic. Not, as Christianity (and Islam, a far less mature religion, one based on extreme biases and absolutes, including proscribed violence towards those who simply disagree with it...) is presently, and in it's historical past, based entirely on childhood-induced fear, informational bias and educational and cultural immaturity.

Bias is also dependent upon unintentional and/or intentional intransigence in the face of newer information, in the face of alternate perspectives and interpretations that arise from entirely different social and cultural backgrounds (such as taking phrases and passages from within the Christian bible as it relates to your existence in, let's say, northern Europe at the beginning of the 16th century, versus it's interpretation in S. Africa when the Catholic and German missionaries arrived to "tame the savage beast-heart!", or it's role as "The One Truth and Source of Light" in the American west during the staggeringly mis-represented Manifest Destiny affront to the already spiritually satiated native brethren.)

Old 12-10-2012, 08:21 AM

398 posts, read 545,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSoul View Post

I agree, Legoman.

I think people who worship or blindly follow anybody (prophets old and new included) are setting themselves up for failure, because nobody's perfect and "all things will fail except charity, which is the pure love of Christ."

Still, I understand why people want to follow the herd in believing in human sacrifice as a scapegoat, even though this is not what Christ is really about. Jesus is a personification of spirituality - much easier to relate with spiritually... & spirituality is essentially about relating.

Christ ("annointed one") is not Jesus' last name, but a higher consciousness that he achieved & encouraged others to achieve. The only way to follow him is by considering, feeling & living the principles of love... striving for what is best through trial & error - active faith.

I guess I would not have gone very far as a 4th or 5th Century intellectual. To me it seems that Jesus spent an awful lot of time working to get people to let go of their Dualistic thinking. Then He dies and what happens? Right away everyone who says they have anything to do with what Jesus preached start dividing things into "this" and a "that". You have the "leaders: and the "followers". You have the "believers" and the heretics". You have those who have been "touched by the Holy Spirit" (the folks with the "special gifts") and then you have the rest of "common folk".

Personally, I don't know from "annointed one". If I am meant to get that sorted out I am quite sure God will make sure I get a chance. In the meantime its enough to know that Jesus laid-out a great and challenging gameplan ---annointed or not.

FWIW.

Old 12-10-2012, 10:43 AM

1,543 posts, read 1,313,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DauntlessDan View Post
What do you mean "put away your bibles"? Christianity is found in the bible. It's defined in the bible. It's like saying tell me about your belief in Allah but put your Koran away. Islam, Judaism and other religions/philosophies probably ARE right to their adherents. That's like saying which auto do you think will win the race, the Ford, Chevy or Chrysler? It involves faith. And no, Christians, at least this believer in Christ, does NOT put down other belief systems. They are what they are. I am what I am. Lets not play one belief system against another. The only time I have a problem is when another system, religious or secular, tries to eradicate/minimalize/mock me and my belief, in the name of "we just want to be accepted/co-exist/replace your system. How do I know that I am saved? I don't absolutely know until the very end, until I am on the other side. Yes, I know what the bible says about this BUT... All I know is what I read in the written word, my prayer and personal experiences and what is revealed to me by others more versed than I. I am NOT a traditional believer if you haven't already realized that.
Very good post. I also am not a traditional believer.
On 4/29/12 I posted the following on City Data/Forums/Social Group/ Bible Talk:

“The wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy†(James 3:17)

OBTAINING ETERNAL LIFE
When I woke up earlier than usual this morning, I had been dreaming about people who had been discussing the topic of death. Since I am 81 years old, the thought went through my mind that this was an important topic for me to be thinking about. I thought about the millions of people who have been convinced that if they believe on Jesus Christ as being the Son of God, they are sure of having been born again and that they will go to heaven when they die. The words of Jesus appear to confirm this belief in John 10: [27] My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me: [28] And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.
I heard a highly respected Protestant preacher say recently that if we had ever believed in Jesus Christ as being the son of God, we can be assured that we have eternal life and that He has saved us from all our sins, past , present, and future.
But the words in Revelation 21:27 stuck in my mind: “And there shall in no wise enter into it any thing that defileth, neither whatsoever worketh abomination, or maketh a lie: but they which are written in the Lamb's book of life.†And our Savior said in Matt. 10: [22] And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that endureth to the end shall be saved. And in John 8: [31] If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed.
Jesus said in John 14: [15] If ye love me, keep my commandments. And St. John said in 1John:2: [4] He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.
St. Peter said in Acts 5: [32] And we are his witnesses of these things; and so is also the Holy Ghost, whom God hath given to them that obey him. Paul said further in Rom. 8: [7] The carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be. [8] So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God. [9] But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.
So what do we base our hope of eternal life on unless we have truly repented and have been given the Holy Spirit, having a mind to obey our Lord and Savior, and then being faithful unto death (Rev. 2: [10] Be thou faithful unto death, and I will give thee a crown of life.)
Jesus promised in Matt. 5: [6] Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled. And in Matt. 7: [7] Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you. And in Luke 11: [13] If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children: how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him?

Best wishes as we seek to know and DO the will of God,
Bob Prince

:

Old 12-11-2012, 12:44 AM

63,777 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Default Serious answers, please put away your Bibles: Why does Christianity have to be the only path to salvation?

Physics. There is only one human consciousness that achieved perfect resonance (Identity) with God's consciousness . . . and that is Christ's human consciousness. It is identical to God's and it also resides within the collective human consciousness of humanity. The only Way any human consciousness (Spirit) can join (resonate in an imperfect harmonic) with God's consciousness (Holy Spirit) is through Christ's human consciousness (Holy Spirit). It is all just the physics of resonance that determines the Way.

Old 12-12-2012, 03:39 PM

2,029 posts, read 1,363,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Physics. There is only one human consciousness that achieved perfect resonance (Identity) with God's consciousness . . . and that is Christ's human consciousness. It is identical to God's and it also resides within the collective human consciousness of humanity. The only Way any human consciousness (Spirit) can join (resonate in an imperfect harmonic) with God's consciousness (Holy Spirit) is through Christ's human consciousness (Holy Spirit). It is all just the physics of resonance that determines the Way.
- Price of admission.

So God pulls off the impossible? (to us). He merges imperfection into perfection and being perfect is the only way to be one with Him. He does all of the work too. Is it accurate to say this...that He makes us perfect?

Old 12-12-2012, 04:30 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,909,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zero 7 View Post
- price of admission.

So god pulls off the impossible? (to us). He merges imperfection into perfection and being perfect is the only way to be one with him. He does all of the work too. Is it accurate to say this...that he makes us perfect?
perfect!

Old 12-12-2012, 09:35 PM

666 posts, read 1,290,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
We are Christians. We are supposed to be biased towards whom we believe in.

How does anyone defend anything without some sort of bias?
So you basically admit that at least you possess no valid argument to defend "Christianity as the only true right path to God".

It is simple. Muslims defend Islam, Christians defend Christianity, and if God is just, fair and good, He cannot be in favor of one and despise the other. How can we fix this issue? Maybe God as a complex being who created the Cosmos allows for diversity and both are independently right according to the cultures or they are both bogus along with the belief of a god itself. Any other point of view, humanly talking would be favoritistic, unfair, merciless and absurd.

Old 12-17-2012, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glad2bHere! View Post
I guess I would not have gone very far as a 4th or 5th Century intellectual. To me it seems that Jesus spent an awful lot of time working to get people to let go of their Dualistic thinking. Then He dies and what happens? Right away everyone who says they have anything to do with what Jesus preached start dividing things into "this" and a "that". You have the "leaders: and the "followers". You have the "believers" and the heretics". You have those who have been "touched by the Holy Spirit" (the folks with the "special gifts") and then you have the rest of "common folk".
Exactly!
No wonder we have so many "bi-polar" issues.

Quote:
Personally, I don't know from "annointed one". If I am meant to get that sorted out I am quite sure God will make sure I get a chance. In the meantime its enough to know that Jesus laid-out a great and challenging gameplan ---annointed or not.

FWIW.
I don't know either about the potential for human development.
I think that all of us, including Jesus, are imperfect to our dying day.
But we need icons - or ideals - to shoot for.
Yet, at the same time, we need to not beat ourselves up for falling short, since it's pretty much a given.

You are right about the challenging gameplan.
I think the hardest part is truly worshipping God/truth/love above pleasing others or ourselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity