U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 05:46 AM

19,237 posts, read 11,133,504 times

Advertisements

I have visited quite a few churches here in Central Florida and there is no altar call at the end of the service? Who and why was that changed? I have seen many a beautiful thing happen to my family and others during that time of coming forth and taking those steps to accept Jesus, be prayed over and make a commitment before all. I do not understaand what happened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2012, 07:44 AM

689 posts, read 394,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post

Back in the days of old, an Alter was sued for sacrificing of animals. This was the ONLY way humans prayers could reach GodÖJehovah GOD/Yahweh. Either name, still the true God of Israel. Alters of the christedoms world, isnít of God. Sorry!, I know many will refuse to believe this. But itís true, just as many of false teachings isnít of God. Jesus NEVER taught of any ďalter calls.Ē Jesus NEVER taught that one has to come before the congregation, and make any commitment to Jesus.The reason was, because Jesus KNEW EVERY commitment should be made to his Father. Because itís HIS ,(Jehovah God), Jesus Fatherís WILL we ALL as Christians should do. ESPECIALLY if we want to be seen as Jesus spiritual family, (Matt. 12:50).

And!... we are to follow Jesus teachings, because he was SENT, by his Father, to teach HIS FATHERíS WORDS, NOT his own ,(John 5:30 and John 15:15 Henceforth I call you not servants; for the servant knoweth not what his lord doeth: but I have called you friends; for all things that I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you). Which means, Jesus didnít hear a thing ANYONE said. Because he knew it should have been DIRECTED to his Father, instead of him. What Paul showed here ,(Rom.[SIZE=3]12:1 I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service). [/SIZE]

Basically mean weíre giving ourselves to Jehovah God, being his servants, JUST as Jesus while in Heaven will soon again submit to his Father ,(1Cor. 15:25-28 For he must reign, till he hath put all enemies under his feet. The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death. For he hath put all things under his feet. But when he saith all things are put under him, it is manifest that he is excepted, which did put all things under him. And when all things shall be subdued unto him, then shall the Son also himself be subject unto him that put all things under him, that God may be all in all). Iím sure MANY ministers realized that was something that needed to be removed. peace

Old 12-03-2012, 08:57 AM

6,824 posts, read 4,865,496 times
The Church I attend does an altar call every service. The Altar is available for anyone that wants to kneel before God publically in prayer.

The Altar call is noble, but I do get concerned it may give some a false sense of security about their salvation. If they are just going through the religious motions of it all, there is nothing there. If it is done with the heart, than yes; but I have a feeling may respond due to emotional appeal getting caught up in the moment.

To be honest, out of those I've seen or heard of personally that did the altar call (which isn't too many in my short Christian life) I have not seen them stick around to see any real growth or dedication. This does not mean it does not happen as my Pastor apparently did the altar call when he was young and God is definitely using him right now.

I think what works better is focusing on a life commitment. The Lord says count the cost. Yes Grace is freely given by God's lovingkindness toward us, but God is looking at the heart. I like the approach of letting people know of a prayer team in the church that will meet with them after service to pray with them. I think this is good for a number of reasons.

Out of those that did an altar call of some sort that I personally heard of recently or witnessed, I have not seen them in Church. I only hope the seed was planted and that they were truly saved. If one does not respond to the Word, than that is a huge red flag. There will be some type of response in regeneration.

Old 12-03-2012, 10:39 AM

I undesrtand the Salavation is inner and really has nothing to do with anyone. BUT to be prayed for, I still believe in the laying of hands for all types of purposes including healing. I also believe in deliverance, and sometimes the pastor/ leaders need to know who is to be counseled etc. The many I see fall away never had anyone talk to them since that day. My experience after going to the altar several times for a couple of years in my home church changed that one day I went to that altar in Atlanta and NEVER been the same since. I am just on fire now as I was then, and can repeat the sermon! After service that pastor invited us with the people we were visiting for lunch and ended going up Stone Mountain. That pastor anwered my questions for hours, we went round and round and he left by 11 PM, but I knew then what I had to know to start my new life. I came home on fire and devoured the Word and I am still here. Maybe not every body needs the pastor to help them get their head straight, but how does he know his sheep? or who to pray for? How can discerment work for him if he never meets anyone. I still say very special things happen on altar calls, and I do agree some times it is repetitious or an emotional show. Churches have all kinds of issues regardless as it is full of people/ saved/ unsaved and in betweens who think they are. So lots of things could be wrong...Just wondering who changed the format - some had to have a meeting. Just like only having a 4 people worship team- where did the choirs go?-- I loved being in the choir, not the best singer but a true worshipper. Things need to change, but not sure all should GO.

Old 12-03-2012, 10:47 AM

386 posts, read 545,770 times
And what could be more moving than Bev Shea singing "Just as I Am" after an inspiring sermon by Billy Graham? I'm an atheist and even I thought it was great...

Old 12-03-2012, 12:17 PM

239 posts, read 145,248 times
Quote:
I have visited quite a few churches here in Central Florida and there is no altar call at the end of the service? Who and why was that changed? I have seen many a beautiful thing happen to my family and others during that time of coming forth and taking those steps to accept Jesus, be prayed over and make a commitment before all. I do not understaand what happened.
Well first of all I have never seen a church with an alter. I have seen many with a place to kneel at the front and call it an alter but an alter is where animal sacrifices and blood sacrifices are offered. And that only in the Temple which is not currently standing.

Now those invitations to come forward and confess Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior are a good thing. My church still does them as well as allow people to kneel and pray if they wish to. I think the last time I saw a church that did not do that I was visiting a United Methodist church with some family members. I thought it was still a very common practice with most churches.

Old 12-03-2012, 03:27 PM

The "altar" is a well known metaphore, (come on)... I can tell you I have visited over 15 churches in the last 6 yrs, in Tampabay, mostly non dem or COG, AOG, and some in between- seems like a "new trend". Turn the lights low and get done in 1.45 hrs- and no room for anything else, all very structured-- you still have a choir? Some one told me once there was a book written to change the services to modernize them? I was wondering if it is a local thing...

Old 12-03-2012, 04:58 PM

19,952 posts, read 12,963,461 times
Quote:
It's not Biblical. I think it's a good thing to be seeing it go away.

The Bible doesn't tell us to "accept Jesus into our heart".

Old 12-03-2012, 05:43 PM

8,238 posts, read 9,990,552 times
The altar call is simply a point in any service where the pastor/preacher asks people to actually take the step of making a personal decision to accept Jesus Christ as one's personal Savior. Some churches differ in whether one 'comes forward' or stays in-place and yet, somehow makes their decision publicly known to others. Both are only a form of "confessing Christ before men ... or confessing with one's mouth"... the belief in Christ in one's heart.

Salvation is not produced by an 'altar call response,' 'saying a sinner's prayer' or baptism. It comes by the grace of God in granting Spiritual 'rebirth' to those who have truly submitted their hearts and lives to Jesus Christ. However, these other things often help new believers formalize the specific time and place of their conversion. Without this, 'professing believers' can drift through life with only a vague notion that they have been 'saved', and no point-of-reference from which they can actually 'mark' or 'identify' God's work in their lives. For example, I've worked with many young believers who were 'christened'/baptized as infants ... and who have no peace ... and only confusion in matters of their own Salvation and belief in God. (One of the reasons I oppose infant baptism/christening/dedication ... is that some pastors do such an inadequate job of explaining what is really going on ... another thread).

In some cases, pastors stop 'doing altar calls' service-after-service when the response dwindles. Some pastors start falling into the trap of believing that a lack of altar call response is a public indictment of the efficacy of their preaching or God's work in that church and service. There are also times when the message is about 'discipling believers', not 'evangelizing non-believers.' Granted, no one can be certain about the true spiritual condition of someone else's heart, but, I've seen some churches who can't seem to get beyond the same message of Salvation, which they "preach to the choir" week-after-week. If believers are to grow, they need to move (or be moved) beyond the elementary teachings of doctrines of repentance and Salvation and ... mature spiritually.

If individual believers did a better job of "going and making disciples", formal altar calls in churches could completely disappear. But, until/unless that happens (unlikely) - people still need to hear that their response to God is necessary... and that one is not 'saved' by simply sitting in a church service.

Old 12-03-2012, 06:12 PM

30,138 posts, read 19,958,111 times
Can you imagine what would happen if we bid ourselves on a daily basis to come, stoop and drink from the well of life, what the effects of it would be ?.

We shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water, that bringeth forth his fruit in season; whose leaf also shall not wither; and whatsoever we do shall prosper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity