Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 08:23 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,587,071 times

Advertisements

A Catholic airport worker in England was temporarily suspended for posting up an image of Jesus in the airport’s staff room after a Muslim colleague complained.

Gareth Langmead, who is a car park supervisor at Manchester City Airport, was accused of posting up the image of the Sacred Heart of Jesus – a picture popular among many Catholics – as “an act of provocation,” according to the complaint.

Langmead says he found the image when clearing out a desk drawer and decided to hang it up rather than throw it away.

Airport Employee Suspended for Displaying Jesus Portrait | Christianpost.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2007, 09:39 PM

2,886 posts, read 8,281,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
A Catholic airport worker in England was temporarily suspended for posting up an image of Jesus in the airport’s staff room after a Muslim colleague complained.

Gareth Langmead, who is a car park supervisor at Manchester City Airport, was accused of posting up the image of the Sacred Heart of Jesus – a picture popular among many Catholics – as “an act of provocation,” according to the complaint.

Langmead says he found the image when clearing out a desk drawer and decided to hang it up rather than throw it away.

Airport Employee Suspended for Displaying Jesus Portrait | Christianpost.com
It just amazes me as to how Jesus could be such a detestable thing to so many people; especially since they don't believe in Him.
That's proof alone that He is the Messiah!!
Nothing and no one could be a threat to someone, unless somewhere in the back of their minds or spirit that they had great Omnipotent Power.
If I were a bully, I wouldn't get intimidated by a little "worm" of a guy, I'd just laugh at him and ignore, because I'd be confident in my convictions.
The Messiah ticks them off so bad......HMMMMMMMM why?? if He doesn't exist in the first place???
Things that make me go HMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...........................

Old 10-16-2007, 01:09 AM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yhwhshalomjr View Post
It just amazes me as to how Jesus could be such a detestable thing to so many people; especially since they don't believe in Him.
That's proof alone that He is the Messiah!!
Nothing and no one could be a threat to someone, unless somewhere in the back of their minds or spirit that they had great Omnipotent Power.
If I were a bully, I wouldn't get intimidated by a little "worm" of a guy, I'd just laugh at him and ignore, because I'd be confident in my convictions.
The Messiah ticks them off so bad......HMMMMMMMM why?? if He doesn't exist in the first place???
Things that make me go HMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...........................
I don't think anyone's threatened by Jesus (I certainly am not!)... they're threatened by the intrusion of religion at a workplace, which can only lead to trouble.

Old 10-16-2007, 01:27 AM

743 posts, read 2,233,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
.. they're threatened by the intrusion of religion at a workplace, which can only lead to trouble.
Definitly don't go to Mexico, then....(or Spain, or Italy, or Venezuala or any other primarily catholic country)....

You'll see religious images (pictures, statues, paintings, etc) in town squares, painted on sides of buildings, placquered on public busses, in restaurants, etc, etc,...basically all over the public square and also in workplaces.

I'm sure we'd also see religious images in the workplace when visiting Israel or the Middle East, etc.

Some things are just cultural and we have to step out of our "American skins" to understand it and not get all hyper about it.

Old 10-16-2007, 01:29 AM

2,886 posts, read 8,281,758 times
Quote:
I don't think anyone's threatened by Jesus (I certainly am not!)... they're threatened by the intrusion of religion at a workplace, which can only lead to trouble.
OOOOOOOKAy!!
No one's threatened. Do you think people in general should be that hypersenstive? I mean I could care less if someone held up a picture of a camel in a red suit with a cigar in his mouth, that can't change my true convictions..
This workplace thing, Since they've banned cigarette smoking, I guess they're looking for something or someone else to pick on, always picking, picking, childish for adults don't you think.

Old 10-16-2007, 05:52 AM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beth ann View Post
Definitly don't go to Mexico, then....(or Spain, or Italy, or Venezuala or any other primarily catholic country)....

You'll see religious images (pictures, statues, paintings, etc) in town squares, painted on sides of buildings, placquered on public busses, in restaurants, etc, etc,...basically all over the public square and also in workplaces.

I'm sure we'd also see religious images in the workplace when visiting Israel or the Middle East, etc.

Some things are just cultural and we have to step out of our "American skins" to understand it and not get all hyper about it.
I have been to Mexico, and Israel, Italy, Turkey, etc. But you know what? They aren't the United States! We're supposed to be a "melting pot," with no official religion or race... the countries you mentioned are MUCH more homogeneous, and/or have officially designated religions. Regardless, I personally don't care who hangs what on the wall - I was just explaining why somebody might care. Heck, I went to a Methodist college, complete with an on-campus Chapel!

Old 10-16-2007, 07:30 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,458,259 times
The problem as I see it is that any manager who accepts the portrait of Jesus comes off as not practicing equal opportunity employment. To put it another way, I feel that if I were to walk into a place of employment, as an atheist, and find a Jesus picture on the wall that I may be subjected to unfair treatment if I were to be hired there. Likewise, if I had already worked there, was an atheist, and management let them get away with it, it would seem to me that I could possibly be discriminated against if my atheism were to become known. I honestly would feel threatened by it. Not by the picture itself, but by the knowledge that a manager knowingly allows his subordinates to display this. I understand that Christianity does not typically preach discrimination, hatred, etc... but it is the impression that I get that people will practice this for some reason. As I've said on a previous post, one of my biggest fear's at work is people finding out that I am an atheist. Why? Because I think it changes people's opinions and mindsets of a person. I've experienced it, A LOT. So, regardless of how well you do the job, how likeable you are at work, and how well your overall performance goes, I would never feel like I had the same chance at promotion as someone else because of my faith. Is this going overboard? Perhaps, but to that I say to thine own self be true. What I mean is, you can't really know what someone thinks about you or their own beliefs, so there would always be that doubt. Likewise, it is entirely possible for someone to discriminate without pictures or propaganda on the wall, but at least this makes a valiant effort at trying to keep people somewhat honest.

Last edited by GCSTroop; 10-16-2007 at 07:31 AM.. Reason: Pesky keys keep getting in my way of typing :D

Old 10-16-2007, 08:38 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,886,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
The problem as I see it is that any manager who accepts the portrait of Jesus comes off as not practicing equal opportunity employment. To put it another way, I feel that if I were to walk into a place of employment, as an atheist, and find a Jesus picture on the wall that I may be subjected to unfair treatment if I were to be hired there. Likewise, if I had already worked there, was an atheist, and management let them get away with it, it would seem to me that I could possibly be discriminated against if my atheism were to become known. I honestly would feel threatened by it. Not by the picture itself, but by the knowledge that a manager knowingly allows his subordinates to display this. I understand that Christianity does not typically preach discrimination, hatred, etc... but it is the impression that I get that people will practice this for some reason. As I've said on a previous post, one of my biggest fear's at work is people finding out that I am an atheist. Why? Because I think it changes people's opinions and mindsets of a person. I've experienced it, A LOT. So, regardless of how well you do the job, how likeable you are at work, and how well your overall performance goes, I would never feel like I had the same chance at promotion as someone else because of my faith. Is this going overboard? Perhaps, but to that I say to thine own self be true. What I mean is, you can't really know what someone thinks about you or their own beliefs, so there would always be that doubt. Likewise, it is entirely possible for someone to discriminate without pictures or propaganda on the wall, but at least this makes a valiant effort at trying to keep people somewhat honest.
But what if I'm threatened that I'll be discriminated against by atheists? What if I'm the only believer in that office that won't allow Jesus' picture? What do I do?

In my opinion, having it up doesn't violates anyone's right, forcing them to remove it does.

Just a thought.

Old 10-16-2007, 08:41 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,886,128 times
Quote:
I personally don't care who hangs what on the wall ....
Exactly.

Now there might need to be some guidelines to make sure some extremists don't go too far, but that's the key right there, Gizmo.

Great post.

I've seen those pics here of people's houses and cars taken to an extreme, but a picture of Jesus, Ghandi, Zeus etc is just a picture.

Making an issue out of it only fuels the intolerance flames, IMHO.

Old 10-16-2007, 09:43 AM

329 posts, read 1,442,658 times
I would not wish to be in a workplace with all types of religious images up. I don't feel it's necessarily an attack on Christianity because this person was suspended. It more than likely is politically correct company policy. I worked for a company that prohibited any Christmas clothing, jewelry, decorations at our desk, etc. for risk of crescents and moons popping up all over around Rahmaddan. And to be honest if my desk faced a picture of Mohammad or Buddah all day that wouldn't please me either. Even though this happened in England, I can appreciate the banning of religious images here as well. I think Jesus would rather that they saw HIM in us rather than on the wall. IMHO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity