Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 12:20 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,717,788 times

Advertisements

The Bible says in 2 Peter 2:4
For if God did not spare angels when they sinned, but sent them to hell,putting them into gloomy dungeons to be held for judgment;...

So if this is the case WHY did He spare men and women? Now mind you that we do not know when this occurred but for the sake of argument let's say that the angels were placed in the gloomy dungeons during the gap (meaning before God created the heavens and the earth Genesis 1:1). So this happened before Man's fall. Why would God spare us if He chose not to spare the angels?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2007, 12:25 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,264,498 times
Who can know the mind of the Lord? However, my .02 would be that it may have been that they sinned in view of more direct revelation of God and spiritual matters than man was given.

Old 10-15-2007, 12:55 PM

740 posts, read 2,013,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Who can know the mind of the Lord? However, my .02 would be that it may have been that they sinned in view of more direct revelation of God and spiritual matters than man was given.
I am with KayKay... who can know the mind of the Lord.

That being said... The angels have seen all that God has to offer and still chose to sin. We have the written word and the Holy Spirit. There are many unseen/unknown things that as humans, we can only have faith whereas they, the angels, were eye witnesses.

Old 10-15-2007, 01:07 PM

3,434 posts, read 9,742,668 times
just for arguments sake....we are called his children..angels arent..

Old 10-15-2007, 01:50 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,228,825 times
Mankind was given free will.
I don't think angels are free.
Haven't they got certain tasks they have to do?

Old 10-15-2007, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Mankind was given free will.
I don't think angels are free.
Haven't they got certain tasks they have to do?
They have to have some sort of free will or they could not have chosen to follow Lucifer instead of God.

Old 10-15-2007, 02:13 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,228,825 times
Can an angel of death choose who is going to die?
I thought that God commanded and they could only obey.

I could be wrong, because I never was that interested in angels.

Old 10-15-2007, 02:25 PM

That is different. I'm talking about the angels that chose to leave Heaven and follow Lucifer (aka: Satan). The angel of death is completely different and from my understanding does not have ANY authority over when a person dies. That is up to God and God alone.

Old 10-15-2007, 02:33 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,884,366 times
Is the angel of death even biblical?

Your OP is interesting Hoosier.

I'm not sure God has 'spared' us rather He has just given us the option of being spared.

Angels don't know about Salvation, they don't know about the indwelling of the Holy Spirit, and in fact, if I'm not mistaken, there's even a verse that says in the afterlife we'll have authority over angels.

The angels weren't spared because they were created for God to serve Him in Heaven, they refused.

I think, in a very similar fashion, if we choose not to serve God we won't be spared either.

You have to look at that verse in context and make sure you keep in mind what it's talking about. FALSE PROPHETS!

That if the angels weren't spared how much moreso the lawless and the unrighteous won't be spared. We might be talking about the wrong thing in regards to II Peter 2:4. I'm not finding fault with your OP, I'm just saying that the real issue in this passage of scripture isn't angels not being spared, ya know?

It's an amazing read though II Peter Chapter 2 (Alpha highly recommends this read)

Old 10-15-2007, 02:45 PM

436 posts, read 1,174,082 times
Hossier and guys we have to also remember that the length of the gap in Gen 1 verse 1 is not given, it could have been thousand and thousand of years, in which the angels, just like us, had been given a grace period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity