Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 08:29 AM

93 posts, read 83,721 times

Advertisements

Actually, Glad2bhere, I use Matthew, Mark and Luke and all the prophets who give witness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2012, 08:42 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,824,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glad2bHere! View Post
Well..... if I had my druthers, when it comes to some issues of Spirituality I would rather speak to a female about them than a male. Born and raised as an American male I already know how my thinking comes out on some subjects and I hear a lot of the same thing reflected in other males in the clergy. I think it would be refreshing to examine some issues from a female perspective. I also know that there are many times when females would rather speak to female clergy than male.
Just sayin'.......
Interesting perspective. ... And you DO have your 'druthers.'

On the other side of the coin, I've learned over the years to avoid cross-gender, one on one counseling, largely because it unnecessarily complicates what are already difficult situations. Additionally, men and women hear and say things differently. I suppose this 'bit of learned wisdom' also includes women counseling men.

Old 12-11-2012, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Spirit View Post
The Gospel of Thomas is not found in the, Bible, is it now? And Thomas was the weakest of the twelve, for he had to see in order to believe in the resurrection.

That may be little more than an old mis-characterization of Thomas, who actually revealed that he may have been one of the stronger disciples. In his post-resurrection interaction with Christ, some have suggested that Thomas was 'stronger on evidence' ... than on simply believing what others said. Notice that when Jesus did appear and invite Thomas to put his fingers in the wounds, Thomas immediately fell on His knees and declared, "My Lord and My God."

Further support for this position can be found in John 11:15-16:
-
15 And I am glad for your sakes that I was not there, to the intent ye may believe; nevertheless let us go unto him.

16 Then said Thomas, which is called Didymus, unto his fellowdisciples, Let us also go, that we may die with him.

Old 12-11-2012, 09:05 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,800,899 times
Quote:
I am Roman Catholic.
You seem to have some issues with the Catholic priesthood. Just because some current and former Catholic priests favor the ordination of women doesn't mean all of them do.
I suggest you study what the priesthood is all about. This may be a good start.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Priesth...atholic_Church)

Old 12-11-2012, 09:07 AM

That is true Jghorton. Thomas did fall to his knees and was reborn again in Christ. But it wasnt until he saw and touched that he came to realize that Christ indeed was God.

Old 12-11-2012, 12:05 PM

398 posts, read 545,297 times
I can freely admit that my own view of the role of clergy has been at odds with Organized Religion for a good number of years. The sense that I get from a goodly number of people is that clergy are those who provide Guidance and that Guidance is commonly through Management. For myself, I don't need that. If I want someone to spit chapter and verse at me while, say, my family is in trouble coming to someplace like this forum and reading some of the arrogance here would take care of that. What I need in the Clergy are people who can "get down into the trenches" with me and find God in even sickness and disaster. If I were going through, say, a divorce, the last thing I would need is someone judging me out of a "Judgement Recipe Book".

FWIW.

Old 12-11-2012, 12:22 PM

You're going to get judge no matter what. And you will be judged by the One who has the Spirit of Truth on him. Moderator cut: deleted

Last edited by june 7th; 08-11-2013 at 09:41 AM..

Old 12-11-2012, 12:36 PM

Let me ask you a question g2bh. Can you go before the alter and the cross, speak words of truth and the following day, Sunday, ask a question of the Father; did I offend you in any way, shape or form in what I said before the alter, the cross and get an immediate response from the Father in the form of a Smile from Heaven with the Face of God?

Old 12-11-2012, 02:20 PM

Quote:
That is true Jghorton. Thomas did fall to his knees and was reborn again in Christ. But it wasnt until he saw and touched that he came to realize that Christ indeed was God.
No disagreement from me ... although, interestingly, scripture never says that Thomas actually touched Jesus. Further, apart from Peter's recognition of Christ in Matt. 16:16, it's not entirely clear that the other disciples recognized Jesus as God ... until well after the resurrection, when the Holy Spirit came upon them. -- Maybe you can shed more light on when the disciples transitioned from recognizing Jesus as the 'Messiah' to understanding that He was actually God incarnate.

Old 12-11-2012, 04:16 PM

It was actually, over time. In simple terms its like 1+1=2, 2+2=4. It was a process. Christ was tearing away at their unbelief. Luke 24;44,46 the same in Mark 16. In Mark 16;19 it says "and sat on the right hand of God. And when Christ was lifted up into Heaven they clearly knew for they rejoiced. Luke 24;52. The apostles could not receive the Holy Spirit unless they understood that Christ was indeed God incarnate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity