Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 10:32 AM

1,867 posts, read 1,524,358 times

Advertisements

It can't be both.

Celebrating a holiday with fun lies and graven images is not Christianity---John 8:32 and John 4:24.

Fun lies and graven images is of the devil---Ex. 20.

This alone around Dec. is taken more people to hell then stealing, hatred, murder,
envy, coveting, idolatry, working on the Sabbath, vengence, malice, gossip,
complaining, backbiting, etc.-------John 8:32.

The devil don't mind giving gifts if he can tell a lie or entertain a holiday with lies and graven images.

Judas gave Jesus a kiss with betrayal for money coveting on his mind.

Everything associated with a gift is not of the Holy Spirit---John 8:32.

Gifts are given to manipulate and bribe people often---John 8:32.

Proverbs warns us about this---John 8:32.

Gifts are sometimes used to hire hitmen---John 8:32.

Motives behind giving is what determines a pure heart----John 8:32.

Getting nothing back in return is what Christianity calls charity---John 8:32.

While a lot of charity on Dec. 25 fun lies and graven images puts Christmas in a classification
by itself----John 8:32.

Thanksgiving is totally what Christianity is all about----John 8:32.

Mother's Day is totally what Christianity is all about---John 8:32.

Labor Day is totally what Christianity is all about---John 8:32.

President's Day is totally what Christianity is all about---John 832.

Angel's Night is totally what Christianity is all about----John 8:32.

All these holidays commemorate being thankful or honoring everybody even God.

Angel's Night you could call a Samaritian holiday to heal people of the evil of Devil's Night.

Again the noble goal is the same.

Unity with 100% bible believers only---Psalms 133:1.

In other purpose here is a waste of time.

If somebody is still confused there confused coming here-----Amos 3:3 and 2 Cor. 6 and 2 Cor. 4:3.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2012, 02:15 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,283,016 times
Merry Christmas to you Tony and to the rest of the John 8:44 folk.

Old 12-10-2012, 02:49 PM

2,981 posts, read 2,932,586 times
I seen an add on TV last night
for those who want to give to poor children at 'christmas time'.

The add said, you can go to a local Church and they will give you the names of people in need.

"And then you can tell them you are Santa's little helper."

I remember Jesus saying to give a child even a cup of cold water IN His Name!

Old 12-10-2012, 02:50 PM

9,689 posts, read 10,012,828 times
Christmas is Not Pagan because it celebrates Christ through Lord Jesus birth , and all religions which hold up the living Lord God and His purpose is Not pagan ......... But for some Evangelical legalistic, Puritans, Jews, and some Atheist may be the enemies of the celebrations

Old 12-10-2012, 03:33 PM

4,686 posts, read 6,136,209 times
The origins of it are pagan and alot of it now still has the same celebrations, except Jesus name it tied to it now. Christmas is now a retail holiday instead of a religious holiday, just look at peoples lawns and you see more snoopies than Jesus, you cant say Merry Christmas with out offending someone ( even alot Christians say happy holidays now), and its all about gift giving rather than the celebration of his birth.

But unless you are openly confessing to a pagan sun god and in your heart worshiping them as well, it is not pagan at all. You cant worship something you dont believe in or for many, dont even know existed.

Old 12-10-2012, 04:01 PM

22,917 posts, read 28,260,195 times
"Puritanism - the haunting fear that someone, somewhere, may be happy." (H.L. Mencken)

Seriously, if Christians want to completely separate themselves from all things that might have a tiny root somewhere in paganism, then they're going to have to come up with their own names for the days of the weeks and months, throw away all their pants, socks, and shoes, and give up coffee.

For that matter, they're going to have to toss out the Bible, since writing and paper were both invented by pagans. In fact, many of our letters were originally graven images of pagan gods.

Old 12-10-2012, 08:34 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,505,098 times
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonytonytony View Post
It can't be both.

Celebrating a holiday with fun lies and graven images is not Christianity---John 8:32 and John 4:24.
For many Christians/believers Christmas is neither a pagan nor a chrisrian celebration. It is a day off work to spend time with your family and to enjoy being together.. The trees, decorations, gifts are family traditions, not idols of worship.

Tony do you spend all your time searching for verses to condemn and judge your brothers and sisters in Christ because they interpret bible passages differently than you do? Do you ever just like/love a person for their goodness, their personalities without finding someway to judge them as compared to the perfection of your own righteousness?

Merry Christmas Tony and Happy New Year too.
Enjoy your family, or if you have none, enjoy the beautiful things of this world that God has created for us.

Simply put Tony "stop and smell the roses"

Last edited by Miss Blue; 12-10-2012 at 09:11 PM..

Old 12-10-2012, 09:03 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,914,585 times
Cool You betcha!

The following post is quite bizzare, I'm afraid,. Christmas was indeed originally a Pagan (in a good sense, btw..) solstice holiday that the church was increasingly jealous of and so they interceded in order to hijack it. It used to be a happy village festival to celebate the welcome turn-around in the ever-changing day length and hopefully in a return to warmer times.

Of course, those villagers knew not of the "whys" of these things, giving the Pagan spirits full credit, rather than the tilt of this planet. Science: always taking the fun out of ancient wrongful perceptions, huh?

My brief comments in blue, following...

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonytonytony View Post
It can't be both.

Agreed.

Fun lies and graven images is of the devil---Ex. 20.

Buh-looey!

This alone around Dec. is taken more people to hell then stealing, hatred, murder,
envy, coveting, idolatry, working on the Sabbath, vengence, malice, gossip,
complaining, backbiting, etc.-------John 8:32.

Blooey Two! Your making this up as you go along!

The devil don't mind giving gifts if he can tell a lie or entertain a holiday with lies and graven images.

Meaning what, exactly? Don't give holiday gifts?

Judas gave Jesus a kiss with betrayal for money coveting on his mind.

Everything associated with a gift is not of the Holy Spirit---John 8:32.

Gifts are given to manipulate and bribe people often---John 8:32.

Proverbs warns us about this---John 8:32.

Gifts are sometimes used to hire hitmen---John 8:32.

Motives behind giving is what determines a pure heart----John 8:32.

Hmmm... Did the 3 wise men not bring gifts? So.. were they then Satanic in your eyes?

Getting nothing back in return is what Christianity calls charity---John 8:32.

While a lot of charity on Dec. 25 fun lies and graven images puts Christmas in a classification
by itself----John 8:32.

Christmas is indeed now primarily a total retail event (see:" Macy's Parade), driven almost entirely by corporate greed, Unless, of course, an individual chooses to make it into something else far more meaningful. Like the joy of life as well as a celebration of a village's cooperation and sense of love and charity.

Which, btw, does not automatically mean a Christian celebration. Christianity does NOT now, nor has it EVER owned, Christmas.

Thanksgiving is totally what Christianity is all about----John 8:32.

Nope. It began as a seasonal fall village celebration, celebrating the harvest success and the village's group spirituality.

Mother's Day is totally what Christianity is all about---John 8:32.

Labor Day is totally what Christianity is all about---John 8:32.

President's Day is totally what Christianity is all about---John 832.

Angel's Night is totally what Christianity is all about----John 8:32.

All these holidays commemorate being thankful or honoring everybody even God.

Giving of yourself and of your time and charity is not within the sole purview of Christianity. It's entirely of the personal spiritual choosing of Christians. It is not the property of any religion, in fact. It's entirely up to the individual, and is not thus subject to your critiques and determinations.

Angel's Night you could call a Samaritian holiday to heal people of the evil of Devil's Night.

Devil's night? When, pray tell, is that one, in your eyes?

Again the noble goal is the same.

Unity with 100% bible believers only---Psalms 133:1.

In other purpose here is a waste of time.

So, again, you're officially claiming religious ownership of Christmas as well as all the other holidays and celebrations you've named? Rather greedy, aren't you?

If somebody is still confused there confused coming here-----Amos 3:3 and 2 Cor. 6 and 2 Cor. 4:3.
Ahhh... so sorry: I don't get my personal and spiritual instructions for life out of an antiquated and highly biased old book of ancient myths.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
The origins of it are pagan and alot of it now still has the same celebrations, except Jesus name it tied to it now. Christmas is now a retail holiday instead of a religious holiday, just look at peoples lawns and you see more snoopies than Jesus, you cant say Merry Christmas with out offending someone ( even alot Christians say happy holidays now), and its all about gift giving rather than the celebration of his birth.

But unless you are openly confessing to a pagan sun god and in your heart worshiping them as well, it is not pagan at all. You cant worship something you dont believe in or for many, dont even know existed.
Quite so! An honest and unbiased answer! Thx and reps to you, SAAN!

Oh, and... Merry Christmas, folks!

Old 12-10-2012, 09:16 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,914,585 times
Default Again....

Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
Christmas is Not Pagan because it celebrates Christ through Lord Jesus birth , and all religions which hold up the living Lord God and His purpose is Not pagan ......... But for some Evangelical legalistic, Puritans, Jews, and some Atheist may be the enemies of the celebrations
Well, it's not pagan only if you wrongly assume a Christian origin and thus ownership of Christmas, which is demonstrably and historically incorrect. For me, as an "obviously Satanic Atheist™", it's a time of seasonal cheer, of giving, charity and family togetherness!

Oh yes, and of giving the wild birds in my yard an extra large helping of nice fat seeds!

I am accordingly hardly an "enemy" of such celebrations. Stop with the atheist insults! You are being arrogantly stubborn and Essentially Evil™.

But... <sigh>... go ahead! Keep on showing the true mind-sense of many overwrought fundy Christians!

Old 12-13-2012, 09:06 PM

7,593 posts, read 6,083,615 times
Well, Rifleman my firnd, don't know about you, but seeing all the legalism surrounding Christianity as exemplified by this, makes me glad I am not of that group anymore.

For example ..."thou shalt celebrate Christmas this way and this way only" or "Thou shalt NOT celebrate Christmas this way...or at all " etc

Since I became a non theistic ex-Christian Apostate I look back on all the Crap surrounding Christmas and the fact that if I chose to celebrate it, some other CHristian was there to condemn me for my choices, always with the attitude of a child who is mad because he didn't get his way.....

Makes me glad I am not part of all that anymore.

And it was not just Christmas, it was any holiday, any subject, any topic of conversation.....there was always several somebodies who were quick to condemn others, if nothing else just to try to make themselves feel or look better. Fact is, Christianity attracts a lot of those dysfunctional types....and arguments of Christmas, which could and for all intents and purposes should be a fun time (at least it is in my house) ..becomes just another area of fundy depression and loathinng to reflect the rest of their miserable existance.

Makes me REALLY glad I do not have to be part of that dysfunctional system anymore.

Some people are just so miserable and unhappy that they cannot stand it when others are enjoying their lives. They respond by anything from shooting up movie theaters toor going to churches and spreading their loathing and fear through their social groups and communities. Nowadays they do it on the internet too. They are unhappy people, their lives are examples, and regardless of what they say, their actions speak louder than any words they quote form their bible, mostly out of context.

Makes me really really glad that I am not involved, I am not subject to their rules, and I can celebrate Christmas ANY WAY I choose, and there is not a thing they can do about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity