Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 02:49 PM

1,487 posts, read 1,706,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lickety_Split View Post
You shouldn't let what the Bible says about women bother you so much.

Old Testament Judaic Laws also condoned slavery, felt women were unclean and to be avoided during menstruation; okayed death-by-stoning for adulterous women, and stipulated animal sacrifice and genocide.
The whole "women submitting to men" deal is actually one of the milder and less absurd rules from back then.
You have to realize all that was written a long, long time ago. (Do you realize that we are now closer to Medieval Times--King Arthur and all that--than they were too Biblical times?)
So take any of those Judaic Laws with a grain of salt. And also realize that Jesus condoned most of them. Hell, he even hung out with winos and prostitutes! LOL.
Peace.
If this Jesus dude comes back he's not gonna be hanging out at the church picnic....nope, he'll be more likely to be found down on Bourbon Street! Les se le bon temps roule
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2013, 07:06 AM

1,543 posts, read 1,313,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Isn't it funny how assiduous some men are about THIS particular "word of god" , the one making them the boss.....and how much less attention they pay to his other words....like the ten commandments....
Jesus said in John 14:23 If a man love me, he will keep my words; and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him and make our abode with him.
We must keep the spirit of ALL His words and those of His Apostles.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:02 AM

2,541 posts, read 2,540,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Oh, and the wife, while she's being beaten is supposed to submissively wait for god to step in to do a little accounatbility on the husband's head/???

WHEN has that ever happened????
God established government and law to punish and many men are.

Old 01-05-2013, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garya123 View Post
God established government and law to punish and many men are.
God certainly can work through policemen and others in government to hold men accountable for abuse of wives. Your observation was excellent.

Old 01-05-2013, 04:24 PM

458 posts, read 611,058 times
I haven't read the entire thread. The title alone is enough of an indication of how this discussion will flow

As a christian wife, this subject has been one of interest to me. And as a woman who is vocal, assertive, opinionated and quite a control-freak I've done what many here seem to be doing, applying my mind and logic in an attempt to understand God's Word instead of studying and heeding the guidance of the HolySpirit. (We expect un-believers to follow their own reasoning but as believers we know our(human) thoughts and ways, are not His). My husband and I are both learning that God's magnificence is still revealed despite the two characters that make up my marriage.

God does not view me as "less" than my husband. The two shall become one flesh does not imply unequal footing between us. I am not called to obey my husband, only God and children are called to obey their parents. There is no true intimacy, when either spouse (but speaking of husbands here) are on a dominant power trip. Marriage is to be a reflection of Christ's love for the church. God Himself chose to dwell inside of human flesh and die upon the cross, becoming a servant in the person of Jesus Christ. If the Creator of the universe submitted to this "humbling"--if you will, then it's ludicrous to think He'd call for a woman to bow down and obey a man who can barely create his own ham sandwich.

There is a personal, intimate aspect of the relationship between God and His people that is totally undiscovered when we simply read the words of the book without seeking His face. The marriage relationship, yes, as God intended, is a beautiful dance between two equal people who love God first and are used for His glory to reveal to the world just what a God of love he truly is via the marriage relationship!

In response to the "what about...... husbands who abuse their wives, husbands too cowardly to lead, wives too mouthy to defer i.e submit to their husbands, husbands who require wives to do all manner of things for their sensual pleasures (under the Ephesians 5 rule ) etc. etc. For those who love God, most of these things will not exist in the first place. But as a lover of God myself, I freely admit, I've had to learn/am learning to do things His way! He will bring into alignment those things that are crooked, for those who love Him. And to those who choose to remain "crooked" and not submit to His way......well, it is what it is!

Old 01-05-2013, 06:03 PM

342 posts, read 407,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevelationWriter View Post
- Paul talked about what he Desired Of Men & Women. - 1Tim.2:8-11
- Paul talked about what he would not Permit 0f Women. - 1Tim.2:12

Because Paul Still Believed Women Were Under The Law. - 1Cor.14:34
Paul is the one person who revealed to the church that we are not under the law. Your misapplying his comparison to the law with his teaching that we are not under it.

Old 01-09-2013, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tell-the-Truth View Post
I haven't read the entire thread. The title alone is enough of an indication of how this discussion will flow

As a christian wife, this subject has been one of interest to me. And as a woman who is vocal, assertive, opinionated and quite a control-freak I've done what many here seem to be doing, applying my mind and logic in an attempt to understand God's Word instead of studying and heeding the guidance of the HolySpirit. (We expect un-believers to follow their own reasoning but as believers we know our(human) thoughts and ways, are not His). My husband and I are both learning that God's magnificence is still revealed despite the two characters that make up my marriage.

God does not view me as "less" than my husband. The two shall become one flesh does not imply unequal footing between us. I am not called to obey my husband, only God and children are called to obey their parents.
Read the admonition of Paul in Titus ch 2 where he tells the older women in the church to teach the younger ones to obey their husbands (KJV).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity