Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 06:31 AM

741 posts, read 1,288,680 times

Advertisements

^^ That is some sick stuff right there, why did these men hate/fear women so much, I don't get it!!!! I'm so happy I live in current times!! (and not in the mid east!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2012, 06:35 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,150,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
To me it's just more proof that YHWH was created in the image of men, for men, and by men.

These are some of the views of "Christian" church fathers about women in the past 2000 years. Pretty sickening stuff.

Tertullian: (c 160 – 225 AD)
"The curse God pronounced on your sex still weighs on the world."

"You are the devil's gateway"

"You are the first that deserted the divine laws. All too easily you destroyed the image of God, Adam".

"You led astray one whom the devil would not dare attack directly. It was your fault that the Son of God had to die; you should always go in mourning and rags."

Origen: (c 184 - c 253 AD)
"For [as Paul declares] "I do not permit a woman to teach," and even less "to tell a man what to do."

Clement of Alexandria: (c 150 - 215 AD)
"the consciousness of their own nature must evoke feelings of shame".

Augustine: (354–430 AD)
"Why was woman created at all?" "Woman was merely man's helpmate, a function which pertains to her alone. She is not the image of God but as far as man is concerned, he is by himself the image of God."

"I don't see what sort of help woman was created to provide man with, if one excludes procreation. If woman is not given to man for help in bearing children, for what help could she be? To till the earth together? If help were needed for that, man would have been a better help for man. The same goes for comfort in solitude. How much more pleasure is it for life and conversation when two friends live together than when a man and a woman cohabitate?" (he sounds like a closet case to me)

Ambrose: (c 337- c 397 AD)
"Adam was deceived by Eve, not Eve by Adam... it is right that he whom that woman induced to sin should assume the role of guide lest he fall again through feminine instability."

St Jerome: (c 347- 420 AD)
"woman is the root of all evil."

"It is contrary to the order of nature and of the law for women to speak in a gathering"

John Chrysostom: (347 - 407 AD)

"..the male sex enjoyed the higher honor. Man was first formed"

"He wishes the man to have the preeminence in every way." "for the sex is weak and fickle".

"It does not profit a man to marry. For what is a woman but an enemy of friendship, an inescapable punishment, a necessary evil, a natural temptation, a domestic danger, delectable mischief, a fault in nature, painted with beautiful colors?...The whole of her body is nothing less than phlegm, blood, bile, rheum and the fluid of digested food ..."

Boethius: (c 480 - 524 AD)

"Woman is a temple built over a sewer."

Pope Gregory: ( 540 - 604 AD) "Woman is slow in understanding and her unstable and naive mind renders her by way of natural weakness to the necessity of a strong hand in her husband. Her 'use' is two fold; sex and motherhood."

Albertus Magnus: (c 1200 - 1280 AD)
"Woman is less qualified [than man] for moral behavior. For the woman contains more liquid than man, and it is a property of liquid to take things up easily and to hold unto them poorly."

"Woman is a misbegotten man and has a faulty and defective nature in comparison to his"

Thomas Aquinas: (1225 - 1274 AD)
"Woman was made only to assist with procreation."

"So by such a kind of subjection woman is naturally subject to man, because in men the discretion of reason predominates."

And of course Paul:
"Now I permit a woman neither to teach nor exercise authority over a man, but let her be in quietness. For Adam was first formed, then Eve. And Adam was not deceived [when he sinned]; but the woman, having [first] been thoroughly deceived, became [involved] in the transgression [of Adam].

It continued with the Protestant churches:

Martin Luther: (1483- 1586 AD)
"Women should remain at home, sit still, keep house and bear and bring up children"
"If a woman grows weary and at last dies from childbearing, it matters not. Let her die from bearing, she is there to do it."
"the wife should stay at home and look after the affairs of the household as one who has been deprived of the ability of administering those affairs that are outside and concern the state…."
"There is no gown or garment that worse becomes a woman than when she would be wise."

John Calvin: (1509 - 1564 AD)
"All women are born that they may acknowledge themselves as inferior to the male."
"the woman's place is in the home."
Yup, sexism is as sickening as it's equal, racism.

Sexism let's weak, incompetent men off the hook for any personal responsibility...they can blame eveything on those "evil" females....

Funny, thousands of years of MEN screwing up the world and some still think they are better than women....

Old 12-13-2012, 06:37 AM

398 posts, read 545,614 times
For myself, the single biggest challenge that I have is being able to support my wife as a friend and confidante.
Its not that I cannot be a good listener and supportive partner. Rather the challenge comes that as we grow older the manner in which we encounter our years is done in very different ways. Children leaving the house, menopause, our relative roles as male and female are all impacted by our age----but impacted very differently. I think this is also something that folks around us may not appreciate. The concept of "getting older" is very different for a 40-something, 60-something and 80-something, let alone for a female and a male.

One of the ways that I work to be a better partner is to cut back on the amount of feedback that I give. Apart from listening reflectively, and letting my wife know that I am actively engaged in what she is communicating, I don't spend a lot of time formulating a response.

No real point....just a couple of cents into the kitty.......

FWIW.

Old 12-13-2012, 06:56 AM

335 posts, read 334,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Yup, sexism is as sickening as it's equal, racism.
Reading the quotes, one might think that misogamy was a Christian doctrine, unique to Christianity. I assure you it isn't. Women are underdogs, expected to obey their husbands, everywhere. Many Muslim men don't even see women as being the same species.

So, now, why is this?

I think first of all that many men project their sexual desires onto the women they want, and when it turns out that this is just their fantasy, they react with anger and hatred of women.

Then there is the simple fact that men on the average are bigger and stronger than women. If one is inclined to use force to get one's way, and men often are, then you have it.

In politics, it is noteworthy that the aggressive woman is seen as unusual, and not to be admired, while the aggressive man is generally honored or at least respected. This is largely because as a matter of fact men tend to be more aggressive, so it is seen as natural in them, but seen as an aberration in women. Now, to get to the top, one generally must be aggressive, unless of course one is born there.

I could go on in this vein for awhile, but I've gotten myself in enough trouble.

What is to be done about it? The plain fact is that men, with their aggressive responses, often make poor rulers. Compare Henry VIII with Elizabeth. Henry got England into near-bankruptcy with his wars, so much so that only the seizure of the properties of the Church saved him. Elizabeth led a period of prosperity with her efforts to keep the peace (although she constantly had to deal with the aggressive male rulers around her).

So maybe, all else being equal, one should vote female.

I really would like to see something done about the seeming inability of women to play world-level chess. This aggressiveness business no doubt has something to do with it.

I don't think you can educate women to be more aggressive or men to be less. What you might do, however, is separate the schools, so that the girls can get a good education without the teacher having to spend all his or her time controlling the boys.

Old 12-13-2012, 07:03 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,018,151 times
Eve is called the mother of all LIVING. Which gender does the vast majority of all the killing? There is no 2nd Eve mentioned in the scriptures - but Jesus is the 2nd Adam (must have been something wrong with the first Adam... perhaps the fact that Eve had been removed from him?) The battle of the sexes started in the garden of Eden and ended in Christ wherein there is neither male nor female - Jew nor Greek. It's a matter of spiritual equilibrium. We are both to submit to one another - otherwise there is disharmony and misery.

Old 12-13-2012, 07:30 AM

4,309 posts, read 6,440,687 times
Quote:
Why would you ever have to "grab the wheel" from somone so perfect that you have to submit to him?
Perfect? Who? You? Me? My husband? Children? Who mentioned "perfect"? There's none that's made of flesh & blood! You know that. Being "christian", a "believer" does not grant you instant perfection.

Speaking for MYSELF....I'm a believer in the Most High God, am I "perfect"? Absolutely not. My husband is a believer in the Most High, is he "perfect"? Absolutely not. I said, "I have no problem grabbing the wheel if need be".

Old 12-13-2012, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Merton View Post
Reading the quotes, one might think that misogamy was a Christian doctrine, unique to Christianity. I assure you it isn't. Women are underdogs, expected to obey their husbands, everywhere. Many Muslim men don't even see women as being the same species.

So, now, why is this?

I think first of all that many men project their sexual desires onto the women they want, and when it turns out that this is just their fantasy, they react with anger and hatred of women.

Then there is the simple fact that men on the average are bigger and stronger than women. If one is inclined to use force to get one's way, and men often are, then you have it.

In politics, it is noteworthy that the aggressive woman is seen as unusual, and not to be admired, while the aggressive man is generally honored or at least respected. This is largely because as a matter of fact men tend to be more aggressive, so it is seen as natural in them, but seen as an aberration in women. Now, to get to the top, one generally must be aggressive, unless of course one is born there.

I could go on in this vein for awhile, but I've gotten myself in enough trouble.

What is to be done about it? The plain fact is that men, with their aggressive responses, often make poor rulers. Compare Henry VIII with Elizabeth. Henry got England into near-bankruptcy with his wars, so much so that only the seizure of the properties of the Church saved him. Elizabeth led a period of prosperity with her efforts to keep the peace (although she constantly had to deal with the aggressive male rulers around her).

So maybe, all else being equal, one should vote female.

I really would like to see something done about the seeming inability of women to play world-level chess. This aggressiveness business no doubt has something to do with it.

I don't think you can educate women to be more aggressive or men to be less. What you might do, however, is separate the schools, so that the girls can get a good education without the teacher having to spend all his or her time controlling the boys.
Good post and yes, I know sexism and misogyny are not limited to christians...but they sure push it.

Old 12-13-2012, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsey Lane View Post
Perfect? Who? You? Me? My husband? Children? Who mentioned "perfect"? There's none that's made of flesh & blood! You know that. Being "christian", a "believer" does not grant you instant perfection.

Speaking for MYSELF....I'm a believer in the Most High God, am I "perfect"? Absolutely not. My husband is a believer in the Most High, is he "perfect"? Absolutely not. I said, "I have no problem grabbing the wheel if need be".
You didn't answer my question.

If no one is perfect then why would one have dominion over another? That's just not logical.

Old 12-13-2012, 08:17 AM

4,309 posts, read 6,440,687 times
Quote:
You didn't answer my question.

If no one is perfect then why would one have dominion over another? That's just not logical.
Question answered........it's just not what you want to hear. You said "perfect" I said NOT. I don't do "logical". I confess, I haven't got it all figured out. I love because He first loved me. For me, it's just that simple.....

Old 12-13-2012, 08:29 AM

3,066 posts, read 3,723,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
You may be correct about Aquinas (?), but, it is your own choice (not God's will), that keeps you offended by what men do and say, instead of allowing yourself to be uplifted and enlightened by the infinitely higher truth of God's Word:

Gal. 3:28 - There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus.
RESPONSE:

However, the institutional Catholic Church rejects Paul's argument and rules that a woman cannot be ordained a priest regardless of "all (being) one in Christ Jesus."

The argument is that because Jesus was a man to be "persona of Jesus" (?) requires that priests be men. (How they get around the being Jewsish part or fishermen and tax collectors isn't clear).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity