Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 10:40 AM

9,301 posts, read 8,341,473 times

Advertisements

This is actually one of the harder subjects for me to deal with from the Bible, and I myself am a male. Often times, I have heard one man bring that up, and for some reason, every time one brings it up, I get some kind of bad chill. It seems like every man that feels the need to say that, out of the blue has some sort of control issues. (The last man that said that turned out to have control issues. He even wanted me, another man to submit and surrender to him. He himself hasn’t surrendered to God, otherwise he wouldn’t have started getting all homo on me)

I come from a background where the male was a tyrant. Often times a lot of them would beat down on you for any reason. I watched my mother get the living crap beat out of her quite often. It hurt at first, but then I got desensitized for a while. Divorce came as a relief. This is another reason I have trouble with the verse and men that say that. (I’ve also been subject to the tyranny of control freaks myself)

But as hard as it is for me to say this, the Bible does say for wives to submit to husbands. The verse will read in some versions as “Wives, submit to your husbands as to the Lord.” (Ephesians 5:22) In other words, the wife must see his husband as he sees the Lord and submit in everything he says.

One problem is that men are every bit as prone to sin as women are. Then there are other problems like all kinds of immorality. The Bible does address that as well. That’s right men, you are not off the hook.

The same book in Ephesians would turn around and tell the husband: “Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself up for it;” Ephesians 5: 25

A man is to love his wife as he loves his body. The head of the wife is the husband and the head of humanity is Christ. Now, I do understand that if you are a woman who is health conscious married to a roly poly obese man, you will probably not want that.

The Bible does say that the man is the leader. However, it does not say that man is to be a dictator. For a man to lead in his house, a man must be someone worth following. He has to have the spirit of Christ in him. He has to love and cherish his wife and treat her will kindness and care while at the same time, protecting her with his life.

That means; no sleeping around, no “shut up B——! go get me a beer” none of that. You treat your wife with respect. What you may see as a freedom and a position on top of the food chain is really a greater responsibility. You take care of your wife and provide for your family. A man that does not provide for his family (to the extent that he can) is seen as worse than an unbeliever. You want your wife to submit to you? Be a man worth submitting to.

Also, there is another verse that says “Wives, Submit to your husbands as it is fitting to the Lord.” It’s in Collosians. Then again, this was written in a time when women were seen as lesser than men. In one video I watched, there was a comment that said something like “I don’t agree that us women are supposed to be perpetual children.” I thought about it. In God’s eyes, men and women are perpetual children. We are both subject to an authority that we could never challenge or overcome. (as Christians)

But think about it men, you are to love your wives as you love your body. Your marriage to your wife is to be a representation of Christ’s relationship with the Church. Treat your wife how you want to be treated.

(Runs and Hides)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2012, 11:49 AM

398 posts, read 545,257 times
I am one of the fortunate few who is married to his best friend. There is absolutely nothing that I cannot bring to my partner nor anything that I would not DO for my partner. However, we did not just fall into this relationship. We both have careers and all the standard preasures of the every day world. Not a day goes by that we do not have to work---capital W---- to make our relationship go and keep it healthy is not always thriving. I share all of this because I get so very concerned when Marriage is characterized as a "state" when it is really an on-going process.

FWIW.

Old 12-11-2012, 02:47 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,822,829 times
Eph. 5:22 is one of the most common scriptures that is quoted out of context - Something about the word "submit," seems to really get some people riled-up. Actually the Ephesians passage/s says:

5:21 Submitting yourselves one to another in the fear of God.

5:22 Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord.

5:25 Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;

As anyone can clearly see, this is not simply an admonishment to women to be subordinate to their husband, as many attempt to portray it (and often use as an excuse for rejecting God and scripture).

Old 12-11-2012, 03:39 PM

45,542 posts, read 27,146,343 times
Oh boy... let's see where this goes.

I will say that when men behave the way they are supposed to - women should not have a problem submitting.

And I agree with the above post - it is not a master/slave type of dynamic.

Old 12-11-2012, 03:53 PM

1,320 posts, read 1,247,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post

I will say that when men behave the way they are supposed to - women should not have a problem submitting.

And I agree with the above post - it is not a master/slave type of dynamic.
lol...

next thread please...

Old 12-11-2012, 03:58 PM

239 posts, read 192,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Eph. 5:22 is one of the most common scriptures that is quoted out of context - Something about the word "submit," seems to really get some people riled-up. Actually the Ephesians passage/s says:

5:25 Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;

As anyone can clearly see, this is not simply an admonishment to women to be subordinate to their husband, as many attempt to portray it (and often use as an excuse for rejecting God and scripture).
So based on what you said you think we are equal to our Lord! I always thought I was to submit to the Lord.

Old 12-11-2012, 09:58 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,930,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post

Actually, I understand what you're saying and I agree with you. I've always been taught that while my husband is the head of the household, I am to submit to him as he submits to the Lord. So, if his counsel goes against something the Lord has said, I am not bound to accept it. It has worked well for me for 42+ years.

Old 12-11-2012, 10:33 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,822,829 times
[quote=JGHorton] Eph. 5:22 is one of the most common scriptures that is quoted out of context - Something about the word "submit," seems to really get some people riled-up. Actually the Ephesians passage/s says:

[quote]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Had to change names View Post
So based on what you said you think we are equal to our Lord! I always thought I was to submit to the Lord.
? Not sure where you are drawing that conclusion from? In any case, I quoted (but, did not write) Ephesians 5:21-25. ... which says what it says; and sounds nothing like "we are equal to the Lord."

Old 12-12-2012, 06:42 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,140,689 times
""Men Should Lead, Women Must Submit ""

Why? Don't they both follow the same rules?

Women have the same responsibilties men have....why should they then submit to men.

Nope, it's just a convenient way for weak men to flex their non-existent muscles with fairy tales written by other MEN.

Many women throughout history have HAD to submit to men....it didn't make the world a better place.

Picking out one group that has to submit to another for any reason is wrong and nothing but a sick need for power.

Old 12-12-2012, 07:19 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,014,055 times
Better not to marry than be ruled over, I say. Not to mention that I believe the bible is plagued with a patriarchal slant because of the iniquity (INEQUITY) within the MEN who wrote it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity