Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 05:33 PM

33,230 posts, read 26,440,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tthttf View Post
No way!

Christ was asked a question, and He gave the answer and it was not the devious reply for which you have no scriptures to show to prove this mental gymnastics Christ went through to be so evasive trying to avoid giving the true answer so that it will fit in with your false theology:

Young man: "what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?"
Jesus Christ: "if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments."

Simple!

But as it turns out, this young man was not keeping all the Ten Commandments. His great wealth was his idol.

And also notice that Christ did NOT say, "Why, young man, you do not have to do anything! I am going to do it all for you and all you have to do is just believe that I am the Christ and you will automatically be in the Kingdom of God."

And here is the clincher:

Revelation 14:
12 Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus.

Again. Simple!

It doesn't say the saints are the ones who try to convince people to NOT keep the commandments, it says simply "they that keep the commandments of God" which lines up with what Christ said to do to have eternal life.

Simple!
Tthttf, I am not going to waste my time arguing with you on this. Or anything else for that matter. Salvation is by grace through faith in Christ Jesus. Not by keeping the Law. And there is plenty of Scripture which proves that. But do not expect me to waste my time posting them for you when we both know that you will not accept them.

You are one of the most legalistic people to have posted on this forum. I've told you why Jesus answered the way He did. If you don't want to accept it, then don't. And I never said that the young man had kept all the commandments. He claimed that he did. We're done here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2012, 08:06 AM

7,595 posts, read 6,085,921 times
I had NO IDEA that so many "Christians" we anti-Christmas until I met my ex wife, before she became my ex wife, she and her family were part of of some "Church of Christ" in Teas. Now these people do not only HAte Christmas, I learned they hate anyone who celebrates or even Observes Christmas.

Needless to say, I am probably on their "hit list" to this day. Even though I do not live there or have any association with them in any way....
EXCEPT....

When I found out how much this activity placed a Heracleum mantegazzianum up my ex-father-in law's ani externus, I found that I enjoyed it more. Especially when members of his congregation, who to me, were more or less strangers, seemed to make futile attempts in my life to stop my celebration of the holiday.

To this day, every December, I send my ex in laws a Christmas card and remind them that I still celebrate Midnight Mass, still decorate my house, still play music all the time.........

To all members of the churches of Christ, the American Association of Christian Churches and Churrches of Christ, , to all fundies, evangelicals and otherrs who do not observe the holiday, let me poinnt out to you that although I am a non-theist, I am raising my kids as atheistic Buddhists, even though I do not step foot in the church activities all year long, I still atend Midnight Mass for the pagentry and pure esoteric enjoyment of it, as I would attend a great production of Shakespeare or opening night at the opera, I will be there this year AGAIN as always and to all of you, I say Merry Christmas.

Old 12-23-2012, 02:49 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,029,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
I had NO IDEA that so many "Christians" we anti-Christmas until I met my ex wife, before she became my ex wife, she and her family were part of of some "Church of Christ" in Teas. Now these people do not only HAte Christmas, I learned they hate anyone who celebrates or even Observes Christmas.

Needless to say, I am probably on their "hit list" to this day. Even though I do not live there or have any association with them in any way....
EXCEPT....

When I found out how much this activity placed a Heracleum mantegazzianum up my ex-father-in law's ani externus, I found that I enjoyed it more. Especially when members of his congregation, who to me, were more or less strangers, seemed to make futile attempts in my life to stop my celebration of the holiday.

To this day, every December, I send my ex in laws a Christmas card and remind them that I still celebrate Midnight Mass, still decorate my house, still play music all the time.........

To all members of the churches of Christ, the American Association of Christian Churches and Churrches of Christ, , to all fundies, evangelicals and otherrs who do not observe the holiday, let me poinnt out to you that although I am a non-theist, I am raising my kids as atheistic Buddhists, even though I do not step foot in the church activities all year long, I still atend Midnight Mass for the pagentry and pure esoteric enjoyment of it, as I would attend a great production of Shakespeare or opening night at the opera, I will be there this year AGAIN as always and to all of you, I say Merry Christmas.
I do not celebrate it because Yeshua never commanded us to celebrate His birth, however, He did tell us to observe Passover...And to remember when we drank the wine and ate the bread...

Old 12-23-2012, 05:57 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,289,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
I do not celebrate it because Yeshua never commanded us to celebrate His birth, however, He did tell us to observe Passover...And to remember when we drank the wine and ate the bread...
When Christians say they don't celebrate it. Do you mean you don't believe in it, but leave off. saying, you still share presents, cards , stick a tree up and have Christmas dinner?.

Would like to hear the thoughts of others too

Old 12-23-2012, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
When Christians say they don't celebrate it. Do you mean you don't believe in it, but leave off. saying, you still share presents, cards , stick a tree up and have Christmas dinner?.

Would like to hear the thoughts of others too
I do not believe in the Christmas celebration...If Yeshua did not command me to observe it then I will not waste my time and money on it...simple...

Old 12-23-2012, 11:04 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,357,412 times
Quote:
I do not believe in the Christmas celebration...If Yeshua did not command me to observe it then I will not waste my time and money on it...simple...

Humbug!
Mr. Scrooge.

Old 12-23-2012, 11:08 PM

Well see Richard, that is the issue....no one is telling you that you should or have to celebrate it.

My complaint was with others telling me that I should not celebrate it or observe it or attend whatever event I want because they do not believe in it. The issue here is each his own.

IF you do not like it, then don't celebrate it.

I like the aforementioned midnight service and will attend it. Regardless of what others do or don't do.

Old 12-24-2012, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
Well see Richard, that is the issue....no one is telling you that you should or have to celebrate it.

My complaint was with others telling me that I should not celebrate it or observe it or attend whatever event I want because they do not believe in it. The issue here is each his own.

IF you do not like it, then don't celebrate it.

I like the aforementioned midnight service and will attend it. Regardless of what others do or don't do.
Here's one that might set them off...Look up in the old testament all the festivals they were told how to observe, especially the ones dealing with the New Moon, etal., then they will really think you are Pagan...Tell them if they worship on Sunday that they are worshipping on a Pagan day...Then when they refute you, which I assume they will, ask them to prove to you that Sabbath was changed to Sunday from the Scriptures...

Old 12-24-2012, 04:19 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,289,070 times
Quote:
So basically you do not associate yourself with anything considered Christmas ?.
How about a Christmas dinner ?

I don't mind that you don't, its not a problem. I just want to know where you have drawn the line.

Old 12-24-2012, 04:30 PM

Hey Richard I can't really quote the Bible since I am not into that. I did point out that there was no federal, state or local law or legal precedence that prevented me from attending a Midnight Mass. Since I do not submit to their "laws" I think that irritated them enough.

I just do my thing, I do not force it on anyone and I do not allow others to do that to me.

I sure don;t go around encouraging people to do something just because I choose to do it. What works for me works for me. If someone cannot understand that, then so be it
At least I know that what works for one will not work for others......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity