Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 04:47 AM

239 posts, read 193,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
New commandment?...Where?...
Read John 13:34 and see if Jesus did not say "A new command I give you".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2012, 06:38 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,029,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Had to change names View Post
Read John 13:34 and see if Jesus did not say "A new command I give you".
I know, but the commandment is not new...

Old 12-20-2012, 06:57 AM

1,543 posts, read 1,313,529 times
Quote:
Jesus never corrected the Old Testament. God gave His word as He wanted it to be and Jesus followed it to the letter. What Jesus did do was give the New laws of the New Covenant. Any one who has ever read the bible can see there is a New thing coming in and one time Jesus even said "a new commandment I give". There is no need to correct that which is ending or being set aside for the new.

Many uneducated people who don't know how to rightly divide the word of God makes this error and we must correct it and teach them the truth when we see it.
Excellent post. Jesus tells us clarifications of the law, and His interpretation gives the correct update for the higher standard of the spirit of the law. Example Matt. 521) Ye have heard by them of old time, Thou shalt not kill and whosoever shall kill shall be in danger of the judgment;(22) But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment, and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in dancer of the council; but whosoever shall say, Thou fool shall be in danger of hell fire.

Last edited by Robert M Prince; 12-20-2012 at 07:42 AM..

Old 12-20-2012, 08:09 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,289,070 times
The entire law(scripture if you like)is summed up in a single command: "Love your neighbor as yourself."

Old 12-20-2012, 08:51 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,211,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
The entire law(scripture if you like)is summed up in a single command: "Love your neighbor as yourself."
A very profound concept...that is shamefully and completely ignored by most Christians. Just saying...

Old 12-20-2012, 10:50 AM

239 posts, read 193,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
I know, but the commandment is not new...
So you are saying Jesus lied?

Old 12-20-2012, 04:42 PM

1,543 posts, read 1,313,529 times
Quote:
The commandment was not new but Christ put a higher spiritual standard on it, just as He said in Matt. 5:43-44 -Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbor, and hate thine enemy. But I say unto you, love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate,you, and pray for them which despitefully use you and persecute you.
He left us the perfect example of this when He prayed to His Father for those who were crucifying Him. He prayed, Forgive them for they know not what they do.
By the way, we cannot truly love our enemies unless we are possessors of the Holy Spirit. Peter said in Acts 5:32 - God hath given the Holy Ghost to them that obey Him.

Old 12-20-2012, 06:34 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,029,149 times
Quote:
The commandment is in the Torah...

Old 12-20-2012, 07:59 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,577,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
A very profound concept...that is shamefully and completely ignored by most Christians. Just saying...
It is not ignored by any Christians. It matters not at all if you call yourself a Christian, if you ignore or do not display what Jesus teaches us plainly are the fruits of regeneration then you are not a Christian. I'm sure that you know very well there is the Church visable and the Church invisable. The Church visable is full of nonChristians. The Church invisable are all of those redeemed and saved, adopted by God and know ONLY to God.

Old 12-20-2012, 09:00 PM

63,804 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
Oh how you love to twist words. Jesus NEVER corrected the bible, not one single time. The quote that you are using is an extremely dishonest use of our Lords teaching.

What He was clearly talking about in that passage was how the Pharasees and teachers of the law had perverted the teachings of the Law and the Prophets. Their interpretation, understanding and application of the Word of God was wrong. They thought that the adherence to and even adding unto God's law made them righteous. Jesus pointed out to them that it's the spirit of the Law that matters more than the letter of the law.
I twist nothing. I apply a different context to the interpretations based on the loving God revealed by Christ. Since the Bible did not exist . . . Jesus was correcting the ignorant misunderstanding of the OT. You are correct that Jesus said the Spirit of the Law is what matters . . . NOT the letter. The letter of the schoolmaster laws was obedience to a wrathful and vengeful God who needs to be appeased . . . or else. The actual Spirit of those laws was "Love of God and each other" as Christ summarized it for us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity