U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 09:40 AM

1,393 posts, read 870,154 times

Advertisements

I was wondering do most of you before praying always start with the Lord's Prayer and then your prayer? Do you feel this is how me must always approach God or can we just start babbling and He is all of a sudden listening?
Do you end your prayers with In the Name of Jesus....Amen. A friend of mine told me she got to thinking when she doesn't say in the name of Jesus her prayers don't get answered and she doesn't feel at peace with her prayer as she does when she uses in the Name of Jesus...... Just a thought.

Sometimes when I'm driving or around the house and I hear something that needs sudden prayer, I will just start praying without starting with the Lord's Prayer. I was listening to a preacher and he suggested we start our prayers the way Jesus instructed through the Lord's Prayer.

What are your thoughts!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2007, 09:50 AM

8,668 posts, read 19,920,136 times
One of our former pastors taught that you should always pray with the Lord's Prayer as an "outline." In other words, you might start with Our Father Who art in heaven, hallowed be Thy name... and praise God for Who and all that He is...

Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done on earth as it is in heavenPray that His kingdom be established in our personal lives, our loved ones lives, our church families lives, the world.

(You can make it as detailed as you like here.)

Give us this day our daily bread...
Ask the Lord for any provision you need here.

Forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us...Forgive those who have wronged us and ask the Lord for his forgiveness for our sins. Confession of sin would come here.

Lead us not into temptation but deliver us from evil...
Prayer for protection here

For a long time I prayed this way. I don't suggest that we make it a "form" or legalism, but it did help me stay focused and cover the bases I needed to cover every day...and it is how Jesus taught his disciples to pray, no?

Old 10-16-2007, 09:55 AM

7,099 posts, read 23,897,226 times
We are told to 'pray without ceasing.' I, for myself, do not feel that prayers should be to any set form unless there are several people praying aloud at the same time.

However, if it makes someone feel more comfortable about it, then, of course, whatever works for that person is important.

Sometimes, something like the Lord's Prayer first will settle and focus the mind and it becomes easier to express the meanings of the heart.

The most basic of prayer would be the simple, Help Me. Aloud or unspoken, It will be heard.

Old 10-16-2007, 09:57 AM

3,434 posts, read 8,797,303 times
Well..I dont usually..okay never start out with the lords prayer..IMHO..its a model for our prayers. I talk to God..just like I do my best friend..I dont think we are supposed to be legalistic about it. When I am praying for somebody else..my prayer changes..I do end it in "In Jesus Name" and its more formal.

Old 10-16-2007, 02:42 PM

635 posts, read 1,560,205 times
You don't need to say In Jesus Name to get your prayers answered. Many believers are very sacreligious in using "In Jesus Name" after praying or saying "AMEN" or "Making Sure to Pray Before Dinner" Jesus broke Legalism off our lives, he said so himself, there's no power in the prayer of sacreligious sayings or actions. These little rituals give people comfort, but have absolutely nothing to do with God answering prayers or hearing you better. I went to a weak church when I was a young boy and they said you had to pray in detail so God could hear you and answer you better, wow were they sure off. Nowhere in God's word did it say that, it was a false comfort from the enemy to make them feel safe and secure. How you pray should be based on the word, and God will come through for you everytime you believe in him and don't look upon your circumstance and PRAISE GOD HE'LL DELIVER YOU EVERY TIME. THE LORD IS MY DELIVERER!!

"Abraham inherited the promises of God through Faith and Patience."

Mark 11:23 Whatever so things you desire when you pray, believe that you have received it, and you shall have it.

Old 10-16-2007, 02:58 PM

13,459 posts, read 21,205,608 times
Imo, God will hear your heartfelt words..You don't need to memorize any formal prayer, or practice what you want to say or how to say it. Just talk to Him..I talk to Him a lot throughout the day and it is spontaneous and from my soul..He hears me, because I always feel a little better, a little happier and a lot of feeling blest

Old 10-16-2007, 03:09 PM

320 posts, read 866,582 times
just pray for whats on your heart and ask the Lord to give you words to say. sometimes you get to think to much....just let the spirit of God speak through you . he knows what you need ....Trust me, he will give you words

Old 10-16-2007, 04:14 PM

1,393 posts, read 870,154 times
Thanks everyone for your responses!! Actually, most of my praying is through the day and without much introducing myself first or with a certain way. I just sometimes start talking to him through thoughts or out loud and have always felt okay with it.

Listening to the preacher gave me a great incite on the Lord's Prayer he as KayKay did broke it down and it made me see why it was given to the Disciples when they made a request to teach them how to pray. The preacher mentioned it was not a prayer Jesus used for he didn't need forgiveness so that it should have been called "The Disciples Prayer".

So, this brings me to......Matthew 6:7-13 7"And in praying do not heap up empty phrases as the Gentiles do; for they think that they will be heard for their many words. 8 Do not be like them,for your Father knows what you need before you ask him. 9 Pray then like this:
Our Father who art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name, 10 Thy Kingdom come, Thy will be done, On earth as it is in Heaven.
11 Give us this day our daily bread; 12 And forgive us our debts, As we also have forgiven our debtors;
13 And lead us not into temptation, But deliver us from evil."

Would these have only been instructions for the Disciples and not the rest of us? Are we just assuming God wants us to pray for anything and everything? The prayer does seem to cover all the bases and since God knows what we need before we pray are we just babbling

Last edited by wildberries61; 10-16-2007 at 04:35 PM..

Old 10-16-2007, 04:18 PM

1,250 posts, read 3,131,380 times
God knows what we need before we ask, but I think it shows we are putting our faith in Him by asking. It also makes us realize who is our Source; something which we too frequently seem to forget.

Old 10-16-2007, 05:39 PM

320 posts, read 866,582 times
he wants to hear you say it he wants to know that you need him.... he wants you to admit to this.... cause we all need him you got it down trust in him ...in every way acknowledge him and he shall direct your path. ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity