Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2013, 10:58 PM

1,341 posts, read 1,530,480 times

Advertisements

[Moderator cut: orphaned quote
Is God not Love? Is His word not truth? So was Jesus 'resorting to insults' when he said ....

John 8:44 Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it.

Or is truth Love no matter what?

Moderator cut: delete

Love isn't just a "feeling" of humans, love is the truth even when it hurts. It works all (both) ways

The quest of each one of us should be to be on the side of truth, the side of love. Just because love never fails doesn't mean we twist it to be non-hurtful. Honestly, disagreeing with each other will cause some hurt feelings.

. Jesus loved those non repentant Jews just like He loves me and you. Yet in and instant He called Peter Satan when Peter was wrong. I'm not saying we should call each other Satan, I'm saying even if we see someone we believe is upset that we are suppose to bear each others burdens.

I know my normal short and blunt posts can seem as hateful as anyone's, but I will end with this;

Matt 5:43 Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy.
44 But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;
45 That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.
46 For if ye love them which love you, what reward have ye? do not even the publicans the same?
47 And if ye salute your brethren only, what do ye more than others ? do not even the publicans so?
48 Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 03-24-2013 at 09:09 AM.. Reason: Deleted the calling out names of other posters
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2013, 04:11 AM

9,689 posts, read 10,015,913 times
Moderator cut: orphaned From John 8:44 ...Jesus was talking to the Pharisees , who told Jesus ...``You bare record of yourself, and your record is not true``.....We be Abraham seed , and were never bondage to any man, where you say , `You will be sat free?.`....``We were not born of fornication , we have one Father , even God ``.... Now we know that you have a devil , Abraham is dead, and the prophets, and you say If a man keeps my saying , he will never taste death, are greater than our Father Abraham , which is dead, whom makes you yourself``...... See Jesus was proclaiming the Good News of the Gospel , and these Pharisees were not taking any of it , Just dishonoring and ridiculing Jesus ...... Everything Jesus told them was true from the Spirit where the Pharisees Liked it or not , as Evangelism is hard , when people have opinions contrary to the message of the Gospel

Last edited by Miss Blue; 03-24-2013 at 09:10 AM..

Old 03-24-2013, 08:46 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,178,366 times
If there is a rule to follow when reading Jesus' quotes, it's to see to whom He's talking to.

The dividing line in His ministry is the transition from Law (old covenant) to Grace (new), and He would apply one or the other to people depending on what was in their hearts.

Example: The rich young ruler came boasting of his keeping the law, so Jesus answered him with more of the same.

Meanwhile, the woman caught in adultery had no claim to righteousness, and so was not judged according to the law. Grace set her free when He said, "Neither do I condemn you - go and sin no more."

The first part of that sentence freed her, and the second gave her the power to live it.

Old 03-24-2013, 08:59 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,289,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
If there is a rule to follow when reading Jesus' quotes, it's to see to whom He's talking to.

The dividing line in His ministry is the transition from Law (old covenant) to Grace (new), and He would apply one or the other to people depending on what was in their hearts.

Example: The rich young ruler came boasting of his keeping the law, so Jesus answered him with more of the same.

Meanwhile, the woman caught in adultery had no claim to righteousness, and so was not judged according to the law. Grace set her free when He said, "Neither do I condemn you - go and sin no more."

The first part of that sentence freed her, and the second gave her the power to live it.
I agree litte elmer. The go sin no more was no threat or rebuke, it was a word that empowered her to live.

Old 03-24-2013, 09:10 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,918,865 times
When one resorts to such labels concerning a disagreement about different understandings of word meanings, regardless of how the opposition expressed itself, it is time to rethink priorities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity