Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 10:30 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,922,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Excellent post, Christy.
Most definitely!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2012, 11:54 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,615,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
It's people like you that truly scare me...FANATICS who can take a collections of books, that we have no idea who they were written by, when they were actually written, who edited them, or how many times they were edited to fit their agenda...and call it THE ONLY TRUTH.

Anyone, with even a modicum of common sense and rationalization, can see that it cannot possibly contain NOTHING BUT THE TRUTH nor can it by the ONLY TRUTH. You cannot take teachings out of a culture and context from 2,000+ years ago from people who believed in tribal dieties, the debasement of women, etc. and apply them to where we have evolved today...we should KNOW better than this by now. We should KNOW that our Source/God does not suffer from Egoism as we do...but it is our egos that keep us believing this nonsense.

Now, I am not saying that the bible doesn't contain any wisdom to live by, because it does and it's pretty easy to discern what is actually inspired writing and what isn't (bashing babies heads against rocks, raping and killing women and children, hell). ALL holy books contain some inspired wisdom...but they also contain alot of man made CRAP.

When I encounter people who actually believe these types of things about our Source/God...it says more to me about their character than God's...because anyone who truly KNEW God, would never believe any of those things written by men who didn't KNOW our Source/God at all. Just saying...
Calling Bible "man made crap" usually draws applause from the usual suspects.

Old 12-26-2012, 12:45 PM

63,800 posts, read 40,068,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Ignoring the bulk of her well written and intelligent post to focus on the FACT that some parts of the Bible are clearly the result of ignorance, cultural barbarity and superstition . . . usually draws knee jerk reaction from the usual suspects.

Old 12-26-2012, 12:47 PM

1,506 posts, read 1,379,439 times
Quote:
She's not calling the ENTIRE BIBLE "man made Crap" and most here are not agreeing with such an idea. Her view sounds a bit too new age for my preference, but thats no reason to create strawmen of everyone who are just not your brand of fundamentalist.

Old 12-26-2012, 12:54 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,506,148 times
Moderator cut: suggestion

Guys, lets get back on topic
Thank you

Old 12-26-2012, 06:15 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,965,181 times
Having been raised Catholic it was absolutely forbidden for any of us kids (13 in my family) to speak about "Hell" or "the devil." We took this as a direct dictum of "the Church."

It was not till later in life I learned God was going to have an eternal weenie roast for people not lucky enough to be born into a Christian family or not lucky enough to have someone tell them they were going to hell if they didn't believe in Jesus.

In a way it is a form of blackmail. Yes, without a doubt it is child abuse.

I find it strange that the common message is: You better believe in Jesus, repent of your sins, get baptized, go to church, quit drinking, smoking, chewing etc. or God is going to eternally torture you in hell fire and damnation.

I mean, come on. What child would not be traumatized by such a message?

More people end up in insane asylums who believe they might go to the eternal trash dump if they don't measure up. I was traumatized by that teaching as a young man. Imagine a young child with their incredible imagination?

I'm just glad I found out the true God of the Bible is not like that.

Old 12-26-2012, 07:00 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,366,102 times
The negative fire and brimstone indoctrination into religion may very well cause kids to reject religion when adults. In fact, I know people who sent their kids to the "new" Catholic school system, with very few religious teachers, and where they teach you that you are good, and their kids aren't interested in religion, either.

Yes, I believe teaching that kind of negativity to kids is a bad thing - it's a bad kind of mental programming more so than it is abuse.

Old 12-26-2012, 07:13 PM

5,190 posts, read 5,334,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
In a way it is a form of blackmail.
Absolutely.

Quote:
I find it strange that the common message is: You better believe in Jesus, repent of your sins, get baptized, go to church, etc. or God is going to eternally torture you in hell fire and damnation.
Yup. That's the racket.

Old 12-26-2012, 07:22 PM

76,975 posts, read 47,615,131 times
Quote:
It was not till later in life I learned God was going to have an eternal weenie roast for people not lucky enough to be born into a Christian family .......
I find it strange that the common message is: You better believe in Jesus, repent of your sins, get baptized, go to church, quit drinking, smoking, chewing etc. or God is going to eternally torture you in hell fire and damnation
I am not Catholic, which must be why I have no clue what you guys are talking about. They taught you that you are saved if you are born into a Christian family, and you go to hell if you don't quit smoking and chewing etc ? Really?

Old 12-27-2012, 08:44 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,965,181 times
Quote:
I am not Catholic, which must be why I have no clue what you guys are talking about. They taught you that you are saved if you are born into a Christian family, and you go to hell if you don't quit smoking and chewing etc ? Really?
No, that's not what Catholics teach. They teach that Catholics, if they fail to quit certain sins will go to purgatory which is a step up from hell. It's a kind of disciplinary place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity