U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2012, 10:03 AM

24,683 posts, read 43,130,167 times

Advertisements

For those who people in eternal conscious punishment. The old fire'n'brimstone type.

Let's say, kids between the ages of 5 and 10 or so.

For those that believe in an 'age of accountability' wouldn't it be better just to not scare the child if he or she is too young anyway?

Onto that question, at what age can a child truly be 'saved'...if a kid is automatically saved before say, 11 or 12, do they get their 'ticket to heaven' taken away once they reach say 12 or 13? Do they then have to repent, say the prayer, accept Jesus into their heart and be baptised in order to get 're-saved'?

I remember my parents teaching me about this terrible place called the 'Lake of Fire' and saying the prayer when I was like 9. I was too young to realise what it was all about. Either way, it led to me being afraid of God when I was about 12 and thought I didn't believe in God.

When, then, is it a good time to introduce/broach the subject? If the preacher talks about it in church, would you just talk about hell but leave out the gory details? Go with the, 'bad people say no to God's offer, thus they choose to go to this bad place called hell, there God doesn't dwell.'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2012, 11:04 AM

3,147 posts, read 2,741,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
For those who people in eternal conscious punishment. The old fire'n'brimstone type.

Let's say, kids between the ages of 5 and 10 or so.

For those that believe in an 'age of accountability' wouldn't it be better just to not scare the child if he or she is too young anyway?

Onto that question, at what age can a child truly be 'saved'...if a kid is automatically saved before say, 11 or 12, do they get their 'ticket to heaven' taken away once they reach say 12 or 13? Do they then have to repent, say the prayer, accept Jesus into their heart and be baptised in order to get 're-saved'?

I remember my parents teaching me about this terrible place called the 'Lake of Fire' and saying the prayer when I was like 9. I was too young to realise what it was all about. Either way, it led to me being afraid of God when I was about 12 and thought I didn't believe in God.

When, then, is it a good time to introduce/broach the subject? If the preacher talks about it in church, would you just talk about hell but leave out the gory details? Go with the, 'bad people say no to God's offer, thus they choose to go to this bad place called hell, there God doesn't dwell.'
Is teaching young kids about an eternal hell child abuse?

I would say that it sure was in my case. (I'm 74 years old now)

Awhile after "saying the prayer" my step-mother told me that I was still such a bad boy that it was obvious that I was still not saved.
My 100 year old dad (who is now a UR) told me then that it was easy to tell that I was heading for "hell." He used to severely beat me with a bamboo cane shouting "in Jesus name, in Jesus name."
And on one occasion one of the many welts on my leg bled.

Later on in life, at the age of 28, I started a twelve year long nervous breakdown over my inability to love or respect a god who would let anyone suffer forever.

That is why I was so glad to learn that there is another way to understand the Bible.
ABSOLUTE ASSURANCE IN JESUS CHRIST
absolute assurance in jesus christ

Both my parents changed their mind later on in their old age after learning about UR.

Old 12-23-2012, 11:17 AM

13,459 posts, read 21,199,786 times
I don't think it qualifies as Child Abuse. However, IMO, it is best to allow a child to explore other denominations/beliefs/worldviews if they desire to as they grow up ( age may vary with a childs maturity level).

I just don't think anyone including parent, sister, brother or even spouse should force anyone into their own beliefs. It is a personal thing between oneself and what is written with love in their heart.

Personally fear and legalism tried to distance me from God, but the Holy Spirit helped me to understand that God knows and loves us personally and does not test, condemn us or punish us with unthinkable pain to get His attention.

Old 12-23-2012, 11:25 AM

5,192 posts, read 4,175,259 times
For me, telling a child they are a sinner and are bound for Hell unless they follow some prescribed set of doctrines and rituals from an ancient belief system is ignorant, hateful and wrong-minded, but may not be child abuse depending on how deeply they are subjected to being told about/threatened with that nonsense.

Old 12-23-2012, 11:37 AM

4,610 posts, read 3,959,440 times
Yes, it is definitely child abuse.

You don't need to beat religion into kids. We never took our kids to church or taught them much about religion, but they both grew up to be Christians.

Old 12-23-2012, 11:41 AM

14,991 posts, read 7,530,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
For me, telling a child they are a sinner and are bound for Hell unless they follow some prescribed set of doctrines and rituals from an ancient belief system is ignorant, hateful and wrong-minded, but may not be child abuse depending on how deeply they are subjected to being told about/threatened with that nonsense.
As I see it also.

Old 12-23-2012, 11:44 AM

1,321 posts, read 1,005,084 times
I think a lot of you people are on the wrong forum.

try below...

http://www.city-data.com/forum/philosophy/

Old 12-23-2012, 11:49 AM

373 posts, read 310,489 times
It's abuse. Both child and parents need counseling.
Amazon.com: Spiritual Terrorism: Spiritual Abuse From The Womb To The Tomb (9781434378880): Boyd C. Purcell Ph.D.: Books

Old 12-23-2012, 11:53 AM

3,147 posts, read 2,741,679 times
Default Consequenses of teaching the doctrine of “eternal hell”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
I don't think it qualifies as Child Abuse.
Had my kindergarten teacher been able to see my welt covered legs after those whippings with a bamboo cane, I'm sure she would have reported my dad to the authorities.

But worse than the whippings was the assertion of my step-mother that "getting saved" didn't work for me. An utter feeling of hopelessness clouded my life for many years afterwards because, if she was right, I was going to have to suffer forever.

My real mother died giving birth to me in November of 1938.

Here are accounts of many similar stories.
CONSEQUENSES OF TEACHING THE DOCTRINE OF “ETERNAL HELL”
http://www.tentmaker.org/articles/hells_fruit.html

Old 12-23-2012, 12:53 PM

13,459 posts, read 21,199,786 times
Rodger, I agree that beating a child for ANY reason is child abuse ..Like you, I went to school with belt marks on my legs from an out of control angry dad..In those days the (1940's) they called it "correcting your child" and often people claimed God wanted them to beat the child into submission. And more often than not the courts probably would have agreed.

Trying to make/encourage a child to adhere to your religious beliefs is a far cry from beating them into the child.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity