Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2012, 03:37 PM

2,677 posts, read 2,615,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
There is no reason that a reasonable, rational Christian shouldn't believe in evolution.
I don't think there is any such thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2012, 03:39 PM

6,387 posts, read 6,365,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
I don't agree with your logic. No biggie.
You're right, it's no biggie.
But it's a biggie when other people are told they're going to hell for not being "strong in faith."

Peace,
brian

Old 12-25-2012, 03:41 PM

595 posts, read 761,517 times
[quote=ahigherway;27484296]...when they obviously do!

How, you ask? Like this:

A father has 10 children who can't swim. And he wants to know which of them truly love him. So he builds a liferaft, and throws them all in the water, and waits to see how many will grab it.

Survival of the fittest. Evolution. The strong survive, the weak die off.

(Note: this example shows clearly that "love" has nothing whatsoever to do with grabbing the liferaft. The fact that any of the 10 children grab the liferaft is not because they "love their father" but because they don't want to drown.)

Discuss.

Peace,

Luke 12:

25 Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life? 26 Since you cannot do this very little thing, why do you worry about the rest?

We love because He first loved us, our love is not our own because we are born of God and not of the world. Mankind's love is not suffient or has any power to give eternal life. WHO would die for all of mankind's sins? And what man has not committed a sin? Only one-JESUS!

All are preached the gospel of Christ and God has foreknowledge of who will believe and man has no part in who is chosen. God says it all, over and over again and again-If you hear His voice do not harden your heart.
God's love draws us to salvation and God's love gives the gift of faith to believe.
A harden heart cannot hear, see or understand the love of God.

We truly love because He first loved us. The creation was made from the heart of God and it was very good and there was evening, and there was morning, the sixth day.

Evolution? God spoke and it happens.

December 21, 2012- man says the world will end***God says NO ONE knows the day or hour!

We are all still here.

God Bless,
Mercy

Old 12-25-2012, 03:43 PM

5,190 posts, read 5,332,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DentalFloss View Post
I don't think there is any such thing.
Moderator cut: delete

The majority of Christians I have known are intelligent, kind people with open hearts and open minds.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 12-25-2012 at 08:51 PM.. Reason: Insulting and denoiminational bashing

Old 12-25-2012, 03:44 PM

45,542 posts, read 27,146,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Humans are animals. The fact that you don't even know what evolution is makes it patently ridiculous for you to attempt to argue against it.
OK - Explain it so I understand - and how it links to Christianity as the OP suggests.

Quote:
How not? Look, the fact that evolution actually happens does not preclude the idea that there is a Creator. Whether or not a God or gods exist--or whether or not it or they created the universe and everything in it--is simply more than any human knows. It could be, it could be not.

There is no evidence whatsoever of this god or creator (or gods or creators) but I can certainly understand looking at the diversity of life and the granduer of the universe and thinking there must be some kind of creative force behind it all. And this may well be the case; we just don't know.

However, we DO know that evolution is not a myth; it is a reality. Therefore, IF there is a god or gods, then for whatever reason this being or beings have seen fit to utilize evolution as a tool for their creatures to grow and develop. Simple as that.

The two concepts of creation and evolution are not mutually exclusive at all.

Evolution is real--a process that is always occurring. We do not understand fully all of the mechanics of it as yet (though we have a great, provable, testable body of understanding about the major elements of it) but then again, we don't fully understand gravity either; yet gravity is real--it exists--it happens, just as evolution does.
Where is it occurring? People keep saying this.

We do understand gravity from a practical standpoint - and unlike evolution, gravity continues to exist.

Quote:
First off, humans are animals. And yes, we evolved, just as all other animals on Earth, from other animals.

If you ae attempting to use the "I didn't come from no monkey!" argument, I suggest you educate yourself before you trip up any further.
Educate? Some men say we came from monkeys. God says we were made from the ground and He breathed the breath of life into us. That second part is what makes us different from the animals. And since He does not lie, and since no one has ever seen a monkey transform into a man - I will trust what God says.

Old 12-25-2012, 04:36 PM

5,190 posts, read 5,332,941 times
Quote:
Where is it occurring? People keep saying this.
Evolution can be--and is--observed on a daily basis in bacteria and creatures like insects, etc. where generational changes can be easily witnessed and charted. That leaves aside fossil records and two centuries of study and findings by scientists from across the globe in a multitude of disciplines.

Quote:
We do understand gravity from a practical standpoint - and unlike evolution, gravity continues to exist.
This is just silly andd nonsensical. We understand evolution from a practical standpoint as well, and have for nearly 200 years. Nothing that has ever been researched or discovered concerning evolution has ever done anything whatsoever to disprove evolution, but only strenghten it as a scientific theory. Evolution "exists" just as gravity does. It really happens.

Quote:
Some men say we came from monkeys.
Only ignorant men. And if you believe that "men came from monkeys" is a tenet of evolutionary theory, you are ignorant of what evolutionary theory is and what it states. Sorry.

Quote:
God says we were made from the ground and He breathed the breath of life into us.
No, God (your god or anyone else's) doesn't say anything.

Quote:
...and since no one has ever seen a monkey transform into a man - I will trust what God says.
Again, this does nothing but show your abject ignorance of the subject of evolution (but also clearly shows your deeply ingrained biases and religious indoctrination.)

I must say again, though--there is no reason why a reasonable, rational person cannot accept the fact that evolution actually occurs and still believe in a Creator.

For all anyone knows, there is a Creator. Regardless of whether or not there IS a Creator (or creators)--for whatever reason, it or they have chosen to utilize evolution.

Old 12-25-2012, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Evolution can be--and is--observed on a daily basis in bacteria and creatures like insects, etc. where generational changes can be easily witnessed and charted. That leaves aside fossil records and two centuries of study and findings by scientists from across the globe in a multitude of disciplines.

This is just silly andd nonsensical. We understand evolution from a practical standpoint as well, and have for nearly 200 years. Nothing that has ever been researched or discovered concerning evolution has ever done anything whatsoever to disprove evolution, but only strenghten it as a scientific theory. Evolution "exists" just as gravity does. It really happens.

Only ignorant men. And if you believe that "men came from monkeys" is a tenet of evolutionary theory, you are ignorant of what evolutionary theory is and what it states. Sorry.

No, God (your god or anyone else's) doesn't say anything.

Again, this does nothing but show your abject ignorance of the subject of evolution (but also clearly shows your deeply ingrained biases and religious indoctrination.)

I must say again, though--there is no reason why a reasonable, rational person cannot accept the fact that evolution actually occurs and still believe in a Creator.

For all anyone knows, there is a Creator. Regardless of whether or not there IS a Creator (or creators)--for whatever reason, it or they have chosen to utilize evolution.
Why don't you guys just tell me the principles of evolution since I obviously don't know anything. And please relate it to the creation of man.

Old 12-25-2012, 06:30 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,766,724 times
Quote:
Why don't you guys just tell me the principles of evolution since I obviously don't know anything. And please relate it to the creation of man.
Introduction to Evolutionary Biology

Good luck.

Old 12-25-2012, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Why can't you give me some simple principles? You ask me a question - I give you a brief answer.

You call me out like I don't know evolution - you need to bring it if you want to be taken seriously. I'm not asking for a thesis. Just give me some important bullet points that summarize what you know about evolution.

Old 12-26-2012, 02:53 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,365,647 times
The issue of evolution as it applies to modern american Christianity, does not have anything to do with the origins of man. It is the concept of "survival of the fittest" that evolution is based on, which is also the basis of most modern Christian theology. Only the strong (in faith) will survive. The rest will disappear.

That is why I'm amazed that modern theology is so "venomous" against evolutionary theory, since their theology is based on the same concept: survival of the fittest.

Peace,
brian
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity